Urgent advice needed - Are render masks possible in 5.2 or are they broken?

Really need a quick answer to this if possible as I need to start a new client brief and if Unreal is broken I’ll have to use Blender.

I render stills, not animation, not games.

In my workflow I always need to separate foreground, midground etc. with masks. Those who haven’t used 5.2 likely need not reply as it’s broken in various ways including data layers (which I believe is the method I’d need to use to gather large amounts of meshes in one place to hide them). I can’t singularly hide every single mesh one at a time to then render a version with a transparent background.

But maybe there’s a way I’m not thinking of. I’m very new to UE and trying to replace Blender with it. So far so good but for the render masks.

1 Like

It’s quite spectacular, isn’t it :-/

You can’t right click in the layers window, even though it’s telling you to. And you can’t drag there either…

I’ve noticed though, that if you make sure you don’t use world partition ( which you don’t need ), it does work.

So, use one of these templates

Interesting. I’ll see if that works for my next project then. Issue is, my last project was likely started using the other template. But yeah, really annoying. As it’s my first time using UE (having been sick of Blender bugs and slowness), how quickly do they fix these career changing bugs? :laughing:

Edit: I don’t see those two options btw, I just get the landscape one otherwise I choose a blank film template.

You’ll need to report it, they might not know…

I think you started with the wrong project template. I might be possible to start a new one with a game template and migrate your content folder.

Just tried it now with a blank film/animation template and the layer method with transparency/alpha works. So that’s cool.

I’ll see if I have time to report the bug. Unfortunately in my line of work I have to allocate about 5% of my daily budget to doing this and it’s often just not feasible.

1 Like

Hey guys, I am trying to render in MRQ some footage with alpha but in 5.2 is just seems to render black as the background, any way to avoid this? The same project in 5.1 works fine.

Unchecking to render the Alpha worked to render Alpha, lol.

1 Like