Upgrading the project from version 5.2 to 5.4, compilation fails.

My UE project is version 5.2, and now I want to upgrade it to UE5.4. However, the compilation fails, with errors indicating issues in the UE source code. I’m using a binary version of the engine, not the source code version, and there are no instances of “Canvas.h” and “BillboardComponent.h” included in my project. Here are the error messages:

12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(38): error C4076: "unsigned": cannot be used with type "float"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(38): error C4216: non-standard extension used: long float
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(38): error C2208: member not defined using this type: "double"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(47): error C2059: syntax error: "type"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(262): error C4076: "unsigned": cannot be used with type "float"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(262): error C4216: non-standard extension used: long float
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(445): error C4076: "unsigned": cannot be used with type "float"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Engine\Canvas.h(445): error C4216: non-standard extension used: long float
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Components\BillboardComponent.h(36): error C4076: "unsigned": cannot be used with type "float"
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Components\BillboardComponent.h(36): error C4216: non-standard extension used: long float
12>H:\UE_5.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\Components\BillboardComponent.h(36): error C2208: member not defined using this type: "double"

Greetings @Elvisa0023

You mentioned that you have no instances of billboard/canvas/etc. I’d ensure there are no calls anywhere that could reference them. Also, does your project include any plugins? (Plugins not updated to the new UE will pop errors as well)

Make sure to set as startup project selecting your project

(post deleted by author)

i’m sure my project is startup project

I do have some plugins. To verify if the errors are caused by plugins, I created a new empty C++ project in the UE5.4 editor and compiled it with all the plugins I use included. However, the compilation of this empty project went smoothly.

Try to delete the folder Intermediate+DerivedCache in your project folder and redo a Generate Visual Studio files.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I have tried this way :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I want to ensure I fully understand. You created a new empty project, added all of the plugins you’re currently using on your problematic project and it compiled without issue, correct?