Upgrade to ue5, crash on startup

Just as the title, i just upgrade my project from ue4.27 to ue5 but cant get it to startup if just crashes with:
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00007ff8e7a81398

and:

LogWindows: Failed to load ‘aqProf.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File ‘aqProf.dll’ does not exist
LogProfilingDebugging: Loading WinPixEventRuntime.dll for PIX profiling (from …/…/…/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Windows/WinPixEventRuntime/x64).
LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi.dll’ does not exist
LogWindows: Failed to load ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File ‘VtuneApi32e.dll’ does not exist
LogWindows: Started CrashReportClient (pid=25208)
LogConsoleResponse: Display: Failed to find resolution value strings in scalability ini. Falling back to default.
LogConsoleResponse: Display: Failed to find resolution value strings in scalability ini. Falling back to default.

1 Like

A good place to start might be opening your .uproject file with a text editor and manually disabling plugins.

I Tried and disabled all plugins, but still dos not want to startup

First, shutdown your Epic Launcher if it is running on background.
Install the NETCore package from here:

Download .NET Core 3.1 Runtime (v3.1.23) - Windows x64 Installer (microsoft.com)

Then restart your Launcher and verify your Unreal 5 installation.
After verification is done, try to launch the UE5 Editor from the Launcher for the first time from the “Launch” button on the corner, without any particular project to edit.

If everything is OK, after shaders are compile proceed trying to open a project.

2 Likes

Just tried and nope still won’t get to 100% to startup

You have to wait for shaders to compile.
If you Ctrl + Shift + Esc and there’s a bunch of services there compiling shaders, you have to wait.

I’m waiting, still crashes when it gets to loading my main level in startup

Maybe this helps:

I don’t think this is the problem

Find a solution, delete the config folder, works like a charm

6 Likes

Friends had the same problem.
I use Windows 11, RTX 3060 ti and AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

Unreal Engine 4.27.2 to 5.0

I installed the DirectX SDK, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable and verified the Unreal installation and my project was still failing.

I noticed that when I open the 4.27 project in 5.0 it offers the option to create a copy and convert.

Desperate to ask him not to create a copy and not convert.
My project opened and worked without crashes. But my project has not been updated.
So I made a backup and asked him to convert on the spot.

It started working normally.

In Nvidia control panel set the specific app to C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor.exe

and force it to use your best GPU (search online to find the latest driver for your GPU)

also you can add
-dx12 -d3ddebug -gpucrashdebugging
to the end of the “Target” line in the Ue5 shortcut’s properties. Make sure to set your RHI to DirectX12 in project settings too.

That’s what worked for me.

2 Likes

you saved me .thank u

it makes sense. it really does. This fixed my 4.27->5.2.1 conversion. I had the following issue. :waves:

appError called: Assertion failed: IsValid(Platform) [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\DataDrivenShaderPlatformInfo.h] [Line: 200]