Upgrade to BuildSettingsVersion.V4

Hi!

I’m using Unreal 5.3.2 with Visual Studio 2022.

I’m working with a project which I create it with a previous version of Unreal Engine. When I compile it I get this message:

27>Using Visual Studio 2022 14.36.32537 toolchain (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.36.32532) and Windows 10.0.22000.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
27>[Upgrade]
27>[Upgrade] Using backward-compatible build settings. The latest version of UE sets the following values by default, which may require code changes:
27>[Upgrade] bLegacyParentIncludePaths = false => Omits module parent folders from include paths to reduce compiler command line length. (Previously: true).
27>[Upgrade] CppStandard = CppStandardVersion.Default => Updates C++ Standard to C++20 (Previously: CppStandardVersion.Cpp17).
27>[Upgrade] WindowsPlatform.bStrictConformanceMode = true => Updates MSVC strict conformance mode to true (Previously: false).
27>[Upgrade] Suppress this message by setting ‘DefaultBuildSettings = BuildSettingsVersion.V4;’ in MyProject.Target.cs, and explicitly overriding settings that differ from the new defaults.
27>[Upgrade]

I have changed this value DefaultBuildSettings = BuildSettingsVersion.V4 but I’m still getting the same messages.

What do I have to do?

Thanks!

Hey ViaCognita,
Your Target.cs file should look like this:

public class MyProjectEditorTarget : TargetRules
{
    public MyProjectEditorTarget(TargetInfo Target) : base(Target)
    {
        Type = TargetType.Editor;
        ExtraModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "MyProject" });

// Update build settings
        DefaultBuildSettings = BuildSettingsVersion.Latest;

// Update include order version
        IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Latest;
    }
}

Make sure you apply this config on both the Editor and Game Target.cs files.
Anyway that is just a warning and you can compile fine, even some Editor targets aren’t using the latest BuildSettings, but if you want to use the latest build settings, just use this.
Keep in mind that after you add these changes you’ll probably find many errors to fix inside your project!

3 Likes

Thank you.