Update 4.0.2 is live!

[= ;10424]
Hi !

Sythen, you can run the editor in offline mode so that you do not have to deal with the updater if you so choose, it will run the editor at whatever version you have already installed. I am glad to see most of you are experiencing a positive change, however! Also albinoski1989 would you mind posting your issue to the answerhub atanswers.unrealengine.com so we can address your issue? Thank you!
[/]

Thank you , and I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. After 4.5 hours I was able to get the latest update down, and since I’ve seen a major performance boost, please do not take my comment as a negative one! :slight_smile:

• Sythen.

I noticed the performance improvement right way, and my GPU isn’t running as hot with the new update. Great job guys!

No performance increase for me, although I was never having issues in the first place :slight_smile:

Good to see people having boosts in general though. Great job Unreal.

Does this update do anything for autocomplete on Xcode?

Please release Platformer game next!!!

Guys, are the required_1 and required_2 different to those for 4.0.1. I’m asking because I wouldn’t like to have to download them if they the same as I’m on monthly internet allowance.

Thank you.

So for source code users like myself, all I have to do is download the required_1 and required_2? Or is there something else to do? Excuse my question as I’m a complete noob with GitHub. :stuck_out_tongue:

[=seenooh;10737]
So for source code users like myself, all I have to do is download the required_1 and required_2? Or is there something else to do? Excuse my question as I’m a complete noob with GitHub. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

+1. Same for me.

It would be nice to have separate launch and update buttons in the launcher as others have pointed out. There is no option to go offline once you log in and find there is an update without logging out. Just a usability/convenience nitpick though.

Anyways, pleasantly surprised to see an update so quickly that actually fixes issues i’ve been reading about in my forum lurking =P. This QFE system sounds great :slight_smile:

[=;10688]
Guys, are the required_1 and required_2 different to those for 4.0.1. I’m asking because I wouldn’t like to have to download them if they the same as I’m on monthly internet allowance.
[/]

Hi, I’ve already answer that above ; only the first file is different.
Cheers

[=;10688]

Thank you.
[/]

[=seenooh;10737]
[/]

Hi, you also have to update your source clone, eg ‘git pull’ of the official repository

Please make a fix for the launcher.

Is it really necessary that we have to update the launcher to see new news and see the changes in the marketplace? I thought that could be done with a simple .xml script?

There are still a few bugs that need addressing:

Things to fix:

• [Windows] - Crashes if you take a screenshot using the screenshot tool. Whether it is 1.0x or 10.0x.
  • [Windows] - Highlight selection in static-mesh editor/viewer only highlights in wireframe mode.

Also, I noticed the update has made it stutter massively. It never use to but now my frames are bouncing all over the show in a tiny scene.

Specs:
ATI 5870 1gb
AMD Phenon x4 965
8gb DDR3 RAM

[=Pjotr;10388]
Do we also need to download the new third party sources that are on github, or are they still the same from the last release? (the required_[X]of2. files)
[/]

Here is some info if you are updating your GitHub code from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. We’ll try to have better documentation on this in the future!

If you’ve cloned source directly from GitHub (without making a private fork):

• This is an easy one! Simply load up your favorite Git client, and Sync the latest code from the 4.0 branch. You’ll get the latest code changes.

If you’ve created your own private fork of UnrealEngine:

• Since you have your own fork of the code, you’ll need to merge in the latest engine code changes.
  • Open a Git Shell and navigate to your UnrealEngine directory. If you are using the GitHub client for Windows/Mac, click the “Tools” button, and click “Open a Shell here”.
  • Make sure you are in the correct branch. Type: git checkout 4.0
  • Now, merge in the code. Type: git pullgithub.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git 4.0
  • If there were any conflicting files, Git will warn you and you’ll need to resolve those before continuing.
  • To commit the merged code, type: git commit -m “Updated code to 4.0.2”

Don’t forget to unzip the Required dependencies for the 4.0.2 release into your UnrealEngine directory, just like normal. You can overwrite files as needed.

For 4.0.2, most of the differences to Required dependencies are superficial. For example, the UnrealLightmass binaries are now signed so they won’t spit out a warning from the operating system when invoked the first time.

Hope that helps!!

When you build the lighting, is it not possible that it only has to rebuild the changed lighting instead of the entire scene again? Well, technically if I move the light, it would have to rebuild that light entirely. But if you were to just move an object, surely it would only have to rebuild the lighting that is affecting that object?

Also, are you not able to make it so the GPU does all the calculations to build the lighting instead of the CPU? The GPU would be able to calculate it far more quickly than the CPU.

@albinoski1989:

I know this site is relatively safe, however, if I may? You should mask out your email in the future. Unfortunately there are bots skimming the net, collecting visible adresses like yours. Just a little heads up :slight_smile:

Best regards/

Hi, thanks for the update

What i hate about the launcher is that it’s not smart enough, I have downloaded all content from marketplace before trying to re install the launcher because of %80 bug, now after i re installed it it’s forcing me every time i open the editor to re download the content examples again automatically and in content panel it says no content found!

[=TheBladeRoden;10534]
8 gigs? Time to clear more things off C: again
[/]

Lol, I have been doing the same thing. My C: drive is an SSD with only 90gigs of space, and after windows install I only have about 50-60gigs on it. I need room for 3ds Max, Maya, Motionbuilder, Zbrush, Mudbox, and Pro Tools…and now Unreal 4 :stuck_out_tongue: It’s been hard making space. I need to upgrade.

[=;10556]
Epic,

You guys are awesome!!

2.5 weeks after initial source code release, there’s an update that addresses some of the things in that period.

Keep it coming, especially in the source code (unstable branch), more often the better.

Thanks.
[/]

Agreed! Thanks Epic!

I can guess to some degree what landed in master (such as what looks like a few potentially performance enhancing tweaks, and several workflow improvements for those of us working in C++ land on projects), but can we get summary to go with the code drops in master?

[= Fricker;10962]

If you’ve created your own private fork of UnrealEngine:

• Since you have your own fork of the code, you’ll need to merge in the latest engine code changes.
  • Open a Git Shell and navigate to your UnrealEngine directory. If you are using the GitHub client for Windows/Mac, click the “Tools” button, and click “Open a Shell here”.
  • Make sure you are in the correct branch. Type: git checkout 4.0
  • Now, merge in the code. Type: git pullgithub.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git 4.0
  • If there were any conflicting files, Git will warn you and you’ll need to resolve those before continuing.
  • To commit the merged code, type: git commit -m “Updated code to 4.0.2”

[/]

You’ll also need to follow this up with a “git push” to push this to your GitHub repo.