Update 4.0.2 is live!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d4YcWW12N-w/UzsWckih9-I/AAAAAAAADs4/KrhZartHrdE/s1600/2014-04-01+21_39_25-Unreal+Engine+Launcher.png

I can not run the EU4. Reinstalling did not help :frowning:

Could you please add a way to launch without updating? I know this is possible by running UE4Editor.exe directly, but itā€™s kinda inconvenient. Iā€™d appreciate a ā€œlaunchā€ button alongside the ā€œupdateā€ button in the launcher :slight_smile:

[=gregdumb;10402]
Could you please add a way to launch without updating? I know this is possible by running UE4Editor.exe directly, but itā€™s kinda inconvenient. Iā€™d appreciate a ā€œlaunchā€ button alongside the ā€œupdateā€ button in the launcher :slight_smile:
[/]

Good idea!

Lol the update is 4gb I will do it later lol but hopefully it fixes the issues mentioned in the description and luckily I can run this in offline mode because I am busy studying the basics of this epic engine, so many new things :smiley:

[=gregdumb;10402]
[/]

I run mine in offline mode for now and leave the updates for later.

Hi !

Sythen, you can run the editor in offline mode so that you do not have to deal with the updater if you so choose, it will run the editor at whatever version you have already installed. I am glad to see most of you are experiencing a positive change, however! Also albinoski1989 would you mind posting your issue to the answerhub atanswers.unrealengine.com so we can address your issue? Thank you!

Well, this is great, but IĀ“m having some kind of issueā€¦ When I start the launcher, automatilly starts the update, but doesnĀ“t pass the 81%ā€¦ anybody else is having the same problem?

Hi Viskovitz,

The issue is that we have a global timeout that is set too aggressively for slower connections, if 1 file takes longer than 3 minutes to download it times out and will attempt to retry it. Most of our data is chunked, and is usually under 1MB so thatā€™s ok even if you have a really slow connection, however at this point in the download itā€™s attempting to download a 50MB file. The fix will be in a future version of the launcher, but for now, you can edit DefaultEngine.ini to increase the timeout value. You can find it here: ā€œc:\program files\unreal engine\launcher\engine\programs
oredist\unrealenginelauncher\configā€ and add the following section to the end:
[HTTP]
HttpTimeout=600
HttpConnectionTimeout=180
HttpReceiveTimeout=200
HttpSendTimeout=200
Even after this change, the download may still appear to freeze for a few minutes, but please be patient and it should succeed momentarily.

RE: download size. It actually is the size of updated items on disk incorrectly reported as download size and a lot of the stuff we are updating luckily compresses well. The fact that so much was touched on disk was an unintended consequence of us upgrading our build machines to a newer version of the Android SDK and this affected a lot of binaries in the build. We will try to plan that better next time.

[=Pjotr;10388]
Do we also need to download the new third party sources that are on github, or are they still the same from the last release? (the required_[X]of2. files)
[/]

Iā€™ve re-downloaded the two ā€œrequiredā€ files for release 4.0.2, and compare them against the previous release (4.0.1) with a file comparison tool (Beyond compare, in binary mode):

• ā€œRequired_1of2.ā€; many updated exe and dll, as well as two images files and a korean map
  • ā€œRequired_2of2.ā€; is is binary equal as the last one

Regards,

I will retry a full rebuild of the Editor from sources, to see if anything improved on the front of Packaging a basic Blank project, which wasnā€™t working for me with 4.0.1 (see Editor build from sources - Packaging does not yield game Binaries)

Regards,

[= Vogel;10449]
RE: download size. It actually is the size of updated items on disk incorrectly reported as download size and a lot of the stuff we are updating luckily compresses well. The fact that so much was touched on disk was an unintended consequence of us upgrading our build machines to a newer version of the Android SDK and this affected a lot of binaries in the build. We will try to plan that better next time.
[/]

Unacceptable to keep up with new technology and make things better /shakesfist

Great job on the new update, significant performance increase on my system as well.

Could you please allow us to install things form the marketplace on another Drive, I am already running out on my SSD disk systemā€¦
Otherwise, amazing work on the new engine ! Coming from UDK, what a level up !
Merci !

For those of us too slow to figure this out, could you please explain what you did? Thanks.

[=Pixel452;10328]
Hi ,

I got the source code this afternoon and now I see a new release has been made available. Iā€™ve never used git before (TFS dev here :slight_smile: ) and I am a little bit disoriented. How do I update my fork from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2? Iā€™ve looked everywhere on github siteā€¦
Is there need to also update the dependencies?

Thanks

[edit]
Never mind, I think I found out how.
[/]

[= ;10437]
Hi Viskovitz,

The issue is that we have a global timeout that is set too aggressively for slower connections, if 1 file takes longer than 3 minutes to download it times out and will attempt to retry it. Most of our data is chunked, and is usually under 1MB so thatā€™s ok even if you have a really slow connection, however at this point in the download itā€™s attempting to download a 50MB file. The fix will be in a future version of the launcher, but for now, you can edit DefaultEngine.ini to increase the timeout value. You can find it here: ā€œc:\program files\unreal engine\launcher\engine\programs
oredist\unrealenginelauncher\configā€ and add the following section to the end:
[HTTP]
HttpTimeout=600
HttpConnectionTimeout=180
HttpReceiveTimeout=200
HttpSendTimeout=200
Even after this change, the download may still appear to freeze for a few minutes, but please be patient and it should succeed momentarily.
[/]

Oh, thanks for the info!

We should really be able to choose where this gets downloaded to. My SSD is running low also.

8 gigs? Time to clear more things off C: again

Nice fixes, looks ok here and with a little performance gain (but it can be my driver update too ).
Nice to see Epic working on little fixes and incremental updates instead wait to much :slight_smile:

Took me 15 minutes to download it.
I can already feel a significant differenceā€¦
Keep up the good work.

Epic,

You guys are awesome!!

2.5 weeks after initial source code release, thereā€™s an update that addresses some of the things in that period.

Keep it coming, especially in the source code (unstable branch), more often the better.

Thanks.