Unwanted shadow above dynamic light, also shadows vanishing when far away

I made a gif small enough to post here, and will provide a decent photo. I am thinking both of these will be fixed with one setting, but I cannot figure out what setting would cause/correct this. Please help, many thanks.

304940-2020-06-19-23-45-032.gif

I’ve knocked up a rough replica of this and can’t get it to happen. Is it just a point light with default settings?

Thanks for attempting, its a blueprint of a particle system that I got from one of the free packages. I added two meshes to it (I lowered them by 10 since I suspected it could be blocking the light), and it has a pointlight on it. Also, ‘cast shadow’ on the particle system is off.

I should have provided this information earlier, here is two screens with the pointlight settings:

Oh, you responded quickly, before I edited my comment. Yes, cast shadow is off on the particle system

I’m assuming you’ve tried turning off ‘cast shadow’?

cast shadow on the light is on. I do want dynamic shadows, I do not want this mysterious shadow coming from above the candle though. Also I do not want the strange vanishing of the bottom shadow when I step further away

By golly I think I found it. Under Distance Field Shadows< Ray Start Offset Depth Scale. I changed that from .1 to 0. ClockworkOcean thank you for your time

I tried moving the candle around a little, and the shadow only shows from the distance I am standing in the second image which also has it raised a little higher so the shadow seems to only be in a short radius, if I walk closer it starts shrinking until vanishing from view rather quickly:

304968-capture.jpg

Yes, that’s the problem, you will get a shadow from the meshes you put in.

I mean have you turned off ‘cast shadow’ on the point light?

Excellent!