Unreal VR Crashes on startup when no Headset is connected

Hi,

I develop in VR with Unreal. Everything worked fine before yesterday. I did a Graphics Driver Update and some updates for Windows 11 and also updated Unreal to the newest Version for 5.1 and 5.2. Since then when I try to start a VR Project of any kind (also tried the VR Template) Unreal begins to load and when it hits 35% it stops and then crashed without any error message. The last entries in the log are

[2023.06.06-10.41.16:207][  0]LogHMD: OpenXRHMDModule::InitInstance using DefaultLoader.
[2023.06.06-10.41.16:216][  0]LogHMD: Optional extension XR_KHR_vulkan_swapchain_format_list is not available
[2023.06.06-10.41.16:216][  0]LogHMD: Optional extension XR_VARJO_quad_views is not available
[2023.06.06-10.41.16:216][  0]LogHMD: Optional extension XR_EPIC_view_configuration_fov is not available

When I start any other project without VR the Editor starts without any problems.
When I now hook up my VR Device to my computer so that SteamVR recognizes it and then start my VR Unreal Project the Editor starts without any Problems. I have no idea why this is happening and it is pretty tiring to always start the VR Device before starting the Unreal Project. Has anybody an idea what I can do?

I already tried different Graphics Drivers that worked before but nothing changed.
My System:
Windows 11 Pro
Version: 10.0.22621
Processor: i7-12700KF
RAM: 32GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 6900 XT with Version 23.5.2

Edit: When I was connected once with Steam VR and then don’t close SteamVR the Engine always starts even when the Vr Device is not connected anymore. When I only start SteamVR it doesn’t work. It seems it needs to have a VR Device connected once.

Thank you,
Maurice

1 Like

So the Problem seems to be SteamVR. When I uninstall SteamVR the VR Project starts without any Problems. After I installed it again it crashes on the 35% without any error message. But I don’t understand why that happens because we only use SteamVR to start our application. Our Project only uses the OpenXR Plugin.

Problem occurs for:

• Steam VR 1.25.8 as OpenXR Runtime
  • Windows 11 Pro Version: 10.0.22621

Solution:

• Update Steam VR to Steam VR Beta 1.26.2.

Might be related to the Patch Note Re-enabled instance creation even if there is no active hmd available. because with connected hmd it worked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.