Unreal Studio is Launched and available! (new dedicated forum section)

Ive been testing out Twinmotion for the last few weeks and just got wind of Unreal Studio. I’ll know more in a bit but here are a few impressions.

With Twinmotion a real-time example of the scene can be exported as an executable called BIMotion. With it clients can walk (or fly) through the scene. With the player the viewer can change the weather, time of day or month of the year by adjusting simple sliders. If a headset is attached the scene can be viewed in VR. Also the project can be exported as a video, or images. The program has a fairly wide range of materials, models and animations. There are a few sound files available, but it is not yet possible to import your own. This is a pretty nifty piece of software. The playable executable I mentioned above is fairly hefty though and my test scene was 6GB once exported. Even so it worked flawlessly and was fully functional, and all that on a gaming laptop. There are quality settings in Twinmotion that give you access to certain features. For instance, it rains, snows and leaves fall in my kitchen because the program detected that my workstation was only capable of running on a medium setting. There are four: settings: low, medium, high and ultra. The higher your setting the more features you have access to, which seems like a pretty smart move as it ensures a certain amount of success even at a variety of levels.

I just downloaded Unreal Studio and the Datasmith plug yesterday. I imported the same test scene I used in twinmotion without a problem. I’ve done some work in Unreal in the past and getting your models into it and then getting them up and running has been quite a process. Well not with Datasmith. It really is a ‘with the click of a button’ solution. As I read here it seems Studio is built on top of a full game engine (UE4), so anything you can do in a game you can do in Studio. First or third person, open doors, enter and exit portals to a new level to name but a few. You just have to learn how to do it. Studio comes with less presets, but more flexibility depending on what you need it for. Also you can export your scene to be viewed in a web browser which makes your ‘real-time’ work immediately accessible to a wide audience.

Hi. Can you please tell me if paying for a license to Unreal Studio will in some way improve my ability to get technical support. I need to do something which may be quite an envelope pusher for Unreal Engine and right now its looking difficult to track down what features I will have available and what outside coding I’ll need to do - or whether I’ll need to abandon use of unreal engine for the product. I’m not so much doing architectural visualization as music lighting visualization BTW, so its a stretch whether “studio” is particularly applicable, but it may be where the best tech support overall may be.