Unreal Studio / Datasmith for Mac?

Actually yes. Please check out the PREVIEW for UE 4.24 (currently available on the Launcher). 4.24 introduces Mac support for Datasmith, although still with some limitations around which files it is able to import (no 3dsMax or Revit yet, among some others).

2 Likes

Hi Stephen,
I just installed UE 4.24.1 on my mac, but it neither has Datasmith built-in, nor allows me to install the plugin. Is there something else I need to do?

I had to Enable the plugin from the ā€œPluginsā€
Cheers
Athanasios

I see the Datasmith plug-ins in the ā€œPluginsā€ folder and they are enabled, however, a little confused because the Datasmith Export Plugins downloadable file is not friendly to Mac - it appears to still be Windows only. I extracted the .msi file since you canā€™t run that on a mac and thereā€™s nothing within that is an installer. Am I correct that this installer / plug-in is not Mac friendly. I use SketchUp and was trying to install the SketchUp Pro Exporterā€¦

So I have 4.24.3 and 4.25.0 installed, but I see that Datasmith is not supporting those versions? Also, I see that the only supported platform listed is still Windows 64 Bit.
Is there something Iā€™m missing?

This is exactly what my post #63 is concerningā€¦

One half of Datasmith is the Importers, the other half is the Exporters (but the Exporters are only required on a few select Applications, since Datasmith can natively import a bunch of standard filetypes).

On Mac, the Datasmith Importer is supported right now. You might just need to go into Edit > Plugins and enable it. It can import many of those native file types.

For the Exporters, most of the applications donā€™t even exist for Mac, so we canā€™t create Exporters for them. The exception is Sketchup. We donā€™t have an Exporter for Sketchup on Mac yet, but this is a future goal.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks, Stephen. Hopeful for it. Even though sketchup isnā€™t even close to a great modeling program considering all else out there and what they can do, it is very widely used in the film industry (on Macs) for visualization of sets and would come quite in handy to be able to use Unrealā€™s capabilities.

2 Likes

Thanks Stephen, Iā€™ve been intending to move my ArchViz pipeline to UE for some time and the Mac Sketchup datasmith exporter is the final piece.

1 Like

Thanks for answering all the above questions Stephen, weā€™ll all be waiting for the sketchup exporter!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I just would like to add my voice as one more mac user waiting patiently for the SketchUp Datasmith Exporter. Happy to hear we have Datasmith Importer for mac now, but it is kinda useless without the Exporter. I work in the film industry previous posters are correct that Macs and SketchUp are very widely used for designing and prevising sets. I know you Windows people have a hard time believing it, but it really is true! A Mac Datasmith Exporter would be appreciated. Thank you for listening.

3 Likes