Unreal Studio / Datasmith for Mac?

I know I’m in the minority here, but I use a Mac and would be the first to buy this software. I’ve been looking for a new rendering soiftware that’s fast. Please don’t leave us Mac guys in the dust! And how do I get on the User Survey list so I can help contribute? Thank you.

1 Like

While I’m not thrilled with the answer, it is an answer. So thank you. Constructive criticism here, because I am on the Mac side, I don’t download beta versions to run in Windows. I just need that side to work without messing around. I have a feeling a lot of Mac users may be in the same situation. So those of us who really want this are not being heard through the survey. I do get that for most of the users, support of a platform they could care less about is not top priority, where more features are. But it would be great! Anyway love the engine and all it offers, so thank you Epic!

2 Likes

Ok, I think exactly here is the Problem. You have asked your (Windows) Beta Version Users. Of Course, they don´t have a need in a Mac Version.
But you simply forgot all the people only working on a Mac. And as me, also not able running UE on Paralles Desktop, they don´t even had a change to rais his hands in the survey.

I think most of them, as me included, usuallly are simply to lazy to write or ask for it, they simply look out for it from time to time…

Yes, exactly this. You told us at 3D Basecamp there would be a version for Mac by the end of the year. So we waited. We never get your user surveys, because we aren’t users yet, because we don’t use the only platform you support. Very disappointing.

1 Like

There is some problems with that if you only ask the beta users that are only on Window because non of them can’t be Mac users. I think there is a big target group that you guys mis now. If I look in the Netherlands design industry Mac has the prevail in this industry. The request to get UE on Mac is already big if you look on how often it got googled and the views on this forum.
You guys did a amazing job on Ureal Studio and Datasmith! So make it possible your new target group of creatives and designers can make us of it.

I also desperately need a native mac version of Studio ASAP! I do not see why a dependency on 3DSMax, Sketchup or other is important as URStudio seems to support all the major CAD file types. So why not just leverage FBX?

I can’t give you a precise date for when we’ll support MacOS, but it is on the agenda for 2019. We have some major roadmap elements (real-time ray-tracing for one) that is displacing/disrupting our prior plans. Please keep bringing this to our attention, but I believe you’ll be rewarded for your patience. Once we have something more definitive, I’ll share it.

count me in as a potential mac user

1 Like

we are interested into a mac version here as well, count me in!

1 Like

Also very interested in a mac version.

1 Like

In need of Datasmith conversion for Mac as well!!

2 Likes

Is there any other way to import 3D models from Sketchup (or via Rhino) into Unreal Engine on OSX? I’ve experimented with .fbx files but these import my full 3D model as just one static mesh into UE; this means I can’t edit materials and textures for every plane independently in UE afterwards. Help please!

1 Like

Someone recommended Unreal Studio to me for rendering architectural things. After signing up and downloading the installer, I am extremely saddened to learn that Mac users cannot use this seemingly amazing program.

Before going to college for architecture, people told me Mac is the way to go for art-related majors. I never would have entered the Apple world had I known there would be so many obstacles to using a Mac. Unfortunately, the saying is true for me: once you go Mac, you can’t go back.

Excuse me while I go to my corner and regret decisions I could never undo.

1 Like

Well, you can use Unreal Engine on Mac. As for as I know (I’m new to this), the Datasmith plugin for seemless integration of Sketchup models into Unreal Engine just has not yet been developed for OSX platform.

I’m currently finding my way in working with Unreal Engine on Mac and I believe you can do amazing things as well, just with some workarounds. Though these challenges will only learn me to understand UE better I suppose!

2 Likes

Correct on both points

1 Like

In need of Datasmith conversion for Mac as well!!

So what is the plan ? Never? Better to go to Unity/pixyz if you want to work on mac? At the moment I use IFC shell for Blender to then export to FBX. Works ok for most cases. Oh and btw, at the moment Unreal 4.21 doesn’t seem to work very good on Mac/Mojave. Is these known problems? And if so do anyone care enough to work on it?

Wait uh asking for Mac support is what we are doing here. I can not use the software so there is no reason to submit a survey…Nor would any other Mac user who cannot use the software. I currently just have a PC dedicated to Lumion and I am really ready to dump Windows for good. Autocad for Mac 2019 is finally really good! So Parallels is finally dumped

Were can we all go to submit the survey?

2 Likes

FBX works but like you said to import something like a House you will be in hell trying to deal with a ton of little parts. Also, messed up textures and many other things. The better way would just add native SKP import to Unreal :slight_smile: Lumion has had that for years and it works VERY well.But that is a PC only program. Twinmotion is pretty good and there IS a Mac version. That takes SKP files directly but I love Unreal and Sketchup and can’t wait for the day that they work directly together on a Mac.

Take to Mac users too please )