We have released the first preview of Unreal Studio 4.20 for Unreal Engine 4.20
- Previews should only be used for testing and not for development
- Please share feedback (about Unreal Studio features) here on the forum thread
- Post bug reports about Unreal Studio 4.20 via the support webpage
- Unreal Studio Exporters Downloads page for the new 3ds Max (and very soon SketchUp) exporters
Features you might want to test:
- **Metadata: **User Defined Object Properties from 3ds Max, whether populated with data from Revit, or by the user, is now available in the Editor, or at run-time. This enables various workflows, such as finding all, “doorknobs” and simplifying them via a Python script or using metadata at run-time to display relevant information when someone selects an actor.
- Datasmith for SketchUp (available in a few days)
- **LOD generation: **In 4.20, we provide a user-extensible Python script, and expose it to Blueprints, that creates simplified LOD meshes and assigns the LOD to a static mesh. Now, LOD creation can easily be automated.
- **Mesh Editing: **Basic ability to select face/s and perform operations on them, such as detaching to create a new mesh, deleting, or flipping their normals. This helps fix import problems where changing the source data is difficult or impossible.
- Non-destructive Re-import: With 4.20, keeping track of changes is greatly improved. Now, only changed elements are imported, leading to faster iteration, and any previously made Editor changes are retained and reapplied as needed. Also possible now are per-object tessellation settings, having multiple instances of a Datasmith scene and allowing actors to move across sub-levels while maintaining reimport.
- 2-Pass Import: CAD files are now processed in a way that enables per object tessellation adjustment after import and the ability to control using Python/Blueprints which parts of the assembly are actually processed.
- Rhino Enhancements: Major improvements in 4.20 include importing layers as UE4 layers; Blocks properly supported including Actor hierarchy reflecting Block nesting hierarchy. In addition, materials are assigned according to the object/layer/parent rule.
- Fit and Finish: 3ds Max objects with customized pivot locations have improved support. Geometry assets now have more readable names. IES profiles are now stored in a Lights subfolder. You can now drag and drop a Datasmith Scene Import Data asset from the Content Browser into the viewport. Datasmith Scene asset can now have its own thumbnail. 3ds Max now assigns custom collision meshes to objects with a “UCX_” prefix.
- nDisplay: multi-display, multi-PC, GenLock
- Media: TimeCode, video I/O
- Misc: ProxyLOD voxelization, Sequencer FCP, area lights, Shotgun