Unreal printing String in Shipping, and also collisions are visible

Hello, I packaged my game for Shipping and it still prints strings and the collisions of some objects that I enabled are visible. this should happen how do I fix this?

Why does it feel like this forum is dead for me? All the other threads are replied to more and have more views, I am unlucky I guess?

1 Like

Are you packaging from here?

I also had this experience, and noticed that the system only makes a proper shipping build if you do it from the launcher

There is no option to just build and package only to launch, and if I launch there are still strings being printed

You can package. You have to read the doc, I’m afraid. I have used it to package a release :wink:

How do I get the Linux SDK:

1 Like

That I don’t know. Sorry :frowning:

( But that’s a problem with any method, I assume… )

I can package using Platforms > … to package for Linux and it runs, but here I need the SDK, where do I get it?

That’s strange. I assumed the Launcher was just a different interface onto the packaging process. So I’m assuming you do already have the SDK.

It may also be possible to get packaging to work correctly by tweaking options in the Launcher, and then going back to the Platforms menu, because they are definitely related.

Sorry, that’s pretty much all I have. I also just spent days fiddling around with it until it worked…

It’s quite a gaping hole, amazed Epic haven’t fielded this yet…

PS: Command line is also an option, because that’s all this stuff does at the end of the day. Basically I assume the wrong thing is making it down to the command line, that’s the problem.

Can I make my players use WINE, how well does Unreal work in it?

Possibly. It does work.

Are you trying to package for Linux on Windows?

Windows works, and for Linux, it says I need an SDK

You can’t package on Windows for Linux. You need to package on Linux.

So, I am using WINE, for that. Also, the thing I said at the start that you liked.

Why does it feel like this forum is dead for me? All the other threads are replied to more and have more views, I am unlucky I guess?

Can you give more info on this, you even liked it.

Well, I don’t think it’s dead, but I can understand some people thinking it is.

So my like was really saying ‘I hear you’.

Some things will always generate a lot of traffic, very often, not something where somebody gets any help, quite often people complaining :slight_smile:

If you want to get better answers, asking better questions is always a winner. One way to triple your chance of an answer is PICTURES. So many things on here could be better explained with a few pics.

You get a lot of people asking questions like

I’ve got this post process that I copied from a 300 hour youtube video ( link but no indication of where in the video ). But the PP doesn’t work. It looks too green, well, it’s meant to be green, but not this kind of green. And it only happens on a Saturday, unless it’s raining.

( usually it would be about 4 times as long, without punctuation ).

Neeeeever going to get an answer. But if they had just put up a picture of the PP effect, almost guaranteed an answer, because everybody knows the kinds of things that typically go wrong, and can suggest something… :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I spoke with the team on this—was worried there may be a bug, but they shared some insight on the settings here.

The ones listed in the dropdown menu (top picture) are pre-configured options that are most likely to be successfully built, but are definitely considered development builds. It’s not expected that they’d be good for shipping purposes.

The Project Launcher allows you to configure it exactly as you’d like, so the recommendation is to create a dedicated profile for your shipping build.

Hope that sheds a little light on what’s going on under the hood there.

Hi Amanda :slight_smile:

Thank you for looking into this!

I can see how it’s confusing for people, though:

1 Like

Absolutely understand the confusion there! The feedback was these should be looked at as a means for testing something that is close to a shipping build—you’re in the middle of working on your project, and want to get a feel for what it’s like. It’s something that can be quickly spun up, but generally expect that it’ll need adjustments to package your project into a final, shippable project.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight :slight_smile:

1 Like