Unreal Engine won't launch Error code (0xc000007b)

Did it and still no luck. I will try to reinstall my comp now. Probably gona take few hours. Thanks for helping me anyway, hopefully Reinstall will make it work.

Hi EGOiST, did that work? After, seeing other posts commenting about succeeding after downloading msvcr100 and mfc100, can you try installing .net framework 4.0? you can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

I have same problem. I tried to replace C:\windows\System32\msvcr100.dll only and it works! Thank You!

Good work on you mate.

I have replace msvcr100 and mcf100 but no luck so far. I’m trying to download framework4.0 now. Do i have to install all of 4 files?

I can’t install .net framework 4.0 because it said, file already exists.

Hello,

I had same problem. Tried everything listed above (e.g. replacing .dlls in system32 folder, installing mvc++ 2013 and checked Dxdiag, but nothing seemed to work. As my brother and his identical computer could run launcher with first try, I started to check difference between installed programs. My assumption was at this point, some installation has gone bad back in days, even if I haven’t had any problems with my computer so far. Went to control panel > Uninstall or change a program and tracked mvc++ 2012 down, pressed changed and repaired its installation. After that launcher was able to start. Hope this helps someone.

I get same error? I have tried to reintsall it update directx. I do not have any error logs. I have installed mvc++2012. How can i fix this issue?

Hey Micz,

Further down in this thread, there are instructions on replacing .DLL files in your system32 folder–if you follow those instructions and then go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, find MVC++ 2012, right-click on it and select Change and then Repair, does that allow you to Launch?

-Steve

Hi thanks for fast replay

From where should I download those dll files. Or I just need to copy them from somewhere? I have Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 should I install 2012?

EDIT:

Ok i read wrong post. I have downloaded those dlls, but i cant copy msvcr100_clr0400.dll even in safe mode. What should i do?

Thank you,
Micz

Thanks everyone for your patience. It looks like what you’ll need to do is install VS2013 redistributable. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784. You should check Add/Remove programs to see if there’s another version listed there and uninstall that first. Thanks again!

Carlos

Hi Carlos, my problem is fixed when I completely reinstalled my computer.
Maybe I have some update that wasn’t installed on my comp due to system bug. Everything is working fine now. Thanks a lot.

Hi Egoist

I have same problem. I checked DLL and solved a problem.

1. Download a Dependency Walker ( http://www.dependencywalker.com/ )
  2. Open UnrealEngineLauncher via DW
  3. Identify loaded 32bit DLL
  4. Replace it with 64bit DLL if 32bit DLL exists.

0xc000007b is one of many well-known runtime error codes. You can check out other error codes and their more user friendly descriptions here:

Someone may correct or elaborate on this point but if we see code 0xc000007b, we are being told that a binary we tried use is either corrupt or not intended to be run in our process. That description is intended to be vague because this error code can cover a large number of situations. I would argue that there are no one-size-fits-all solutions to this problem but I will share ideas on how to track down root cause of this issue. root cause could vary from user to user and a case-by-case solution will be needed.

Why am I seeing this code?
short answer is that I won’t know until I get more info from you. Often times, this error code is caused by a 64-bit process trying to use a 32-bit dll or vice versa. In our case, 64-bit Launcher is probably trying to load a .dll that it wasn’t meant to run with. problem is that this isn’t only situation that could cause this error code. It could be a subtle problem with any of binaries used/referenced. I’m not clear on all ways users can get into this state but usually it has to do with dependencies that are corrupt, modified, incorrectly installed, or that have been tampered with. I’ll be sure to update my answer if/when I find out more.

How can I pinpoint problem?
Some users have had luck uninstalling and then reinstalling some of well-known dependencies(directx, VCRedist, etc). This is a hit or miss solution because we can’t be sure which of those dependencies, if any, is causing problem without investigating further. This is a valid approach to problem and you may get lucky but if you want to know more about root cause of this problem we’ll need some tools:

Dependency Walker 2.2 x64 is a very useful tool for troubleshooting system errors related to loading and executing modules and we’ll use it here to see what module is causing our 0xc000007b error. There are many ways of using dependency walker to pinpoint problem and you could experiment with tool(be sure to check out depends.chm documentation that is packaged with it). Note: If you are having difficulty viewing documentation, you may need to Unblock it in properties (right click depends.chm → Properties → General Tab → Unblock). Below I run you through an example of using Dependency Walker on my Unreal Engine Launcher.

Using Dependency Walker. Here I intend to give you an overview of one of ways you could use Dependency Walker to pinpoint module that is causing issues. I had to tamper with one of my System Dlls to artificially reproduce problem so your log files will be different but you’ll be generating and reading logs in a similar way on your computer.

1. Download Dependency Walker 2.2 x64 from here:

2. Extract depends22_x64. to C:\DWalker

3. Open a command window as administrator (Start Menu → type “cmd” in search box and right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator)

4. Enter following command to switch to folder we extracted Dependency Walker to:

cd C:\DWalker

5. Enter following command to have tool generate logs while running Unreal Engine Launcher(Note: I have my Unreal engine installed to default location, you would replace c:\Program Files\Unreal Engine in command below with your install location):

depends.exe /c /f:1 /pb /pp:1 /pg:1 /ot:Log.txt “c:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\Launcher\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEngineLauncher.exe”

6. This will run Unreal Engine Launcher and you’ll see familiar 0xc000007b error message. Click OK to dismiss it as usual.

7. You should now have a Log.txt file in C:\DWalker folder. In next section I’ll go over what to look for in this log to pinpoint problem module.

Reading Dependency Walker Logs. If you followed steps above, you should have a Log.txt file in your c:\DWalker folder. Open log in a text editor and have a look. If you are anything like me, and seeing one of these logs for first time, contents of log may make your head spin. Use points below as a guide when searching for errors. I’ll update this section whenever I find a different fail case. Note: Don’t get hung up on every little warning/error you spot in log, Dependency Walker may generate many warnings and errors for an application but most of these will be harmless and can be ignored. If you feel comfortable doing so, I would encourage you to share your log so that we can spot any common issues and hopefully find a way to get them fixed up in future releases.

Search log for strings in bold:

• Error: Modules with different CPU types were found. This means 64 bit process was given a 32 bit module. To pinpoint module having problem, look through list of DLLs before error appeared and find one with [ E ]. Here is an example of my xinput dll having issues loading: [ E ] c:\windows\system32\XINPUT1_3.DLL
  • Error: At least one file was not a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows module. This means a DLL is probably corrupt. To pinpoint module having problem, look through list of DLLs before error appeared and find one with [ ! ]. Here is an example of my xinput dll which is corrupt: [ ! ] c:\windows\system32\XINPUT1_3.DLL
  • At least one module was corrupted or unrecognizable to Dependency Walker, but still appeared to be a Windows module. This means a module was invalid. To pinpoint module(s) having problem, look through list of DLLs before warning appeared and find any with [ ! ] or [ !6]. Here is an example of a module that has this issue: [ !6] c:\windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL

What do I do once I pinpoint problem? First we’ll need to pinpoint product DLL is associated with and try to reinstall/repair that product. In my case, above, XINPUT1_3.dll is part of DirectX so I would download DirectX from a trusted Microsoft site and reinstall it. If same issue shows up in logs after I do that I would get more aggressive with my reinstall: I would backup my copy of .dll, delete original, try to reinstall again, and check to make sure a new copy of dll was put in place. Note: Some people suggest to download DLLs from various websites but I want to caution you about this: I would personally never never never never… never use an untrusted site to download .dlls from. In other words, do not use untrusted sites to download DLLs.

I have neither of issues that you have highlighted. I believe there is an issue with D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL missing, but I cannot be sure. I have manuallt installed DirectX Redist that comes with engine but made no difference. file is in my System32 and SysWOW64 folder.

I don’t believe that installation process completed successfully, launcher never attempted to load after directx install.

I have attached a full log.

If you have shortcuts to launcher and are seeing this error code, installer completed. I’ll check out your log file and update answer above once we find a fix for you. At moment I do not see your log attached.

file didn’t attach as it was over file size limit. It should be attached now.

log

After looking at your log I think you are right, D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL seems to be having an issue. Here are lines, spread across log, that indicate this:

• [ !6]
    c:\windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL
    (Notice ! in brackets, which
    indicates an invalid module. )
  • Warning: At least one module was
    corrupted or unrecognizable to
    Dependency Walker, but still appeared
    to be a Windows module.
  • Loaded “D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL” at
    address 0x0000000180000000. Error
    hooking module, will try again later.

That file is part of DirectX redistributable installer that is packaged in Unreal Engine installer. For some reason DirectX installer did not overwrite that file on your system.

Could you try following:

1. Backup your C:\windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL by renaming it to D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL_BACKUP
  2. You should no longer have a C:\windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL file because you renamed it or moved it to a new location when backing it up.
  3. Run DirectX setup from your Unreal Engine install folder( default location is this but you’ll need to use your install location: C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\DirectXRedist\DXSETUP.EXE
  4. Ensure a new version of D3DCOMPILER_43.DLL was put into your C:\windows\system32 folder.
  5. Try starting Unreal Engine

This fixed issue for me. Thanks!

cant repair it same error link text