Unreal Engine + PICO Neo 2 VR headsets = abnormal lags ingame

Hello fellow UE4 devs,
I realize there are not a lot of people who have developed on the Neo 2 since it’s for pros and out only for a month now, but I’m at my wits’ end here.

I had previous experience in autonomous VR since I was developing on Mirage Solo since then. So one could say I have some experience about making virtual worlds optimized for autonomous VR, weither it was for Mirage Solo or Quest. For our company app, we’ve chose to go with the PICO Neo2 which has excellent reviews and said to be “Quest on steroids”.

But so far our experience is vastly different. We have the most annoying lag on the Neo 2 headsets, even on simple scenes, I just can’t figure out why. When we try to load more complex scenes, it either doesn’t work or work badly for a few seconds before crashing. Android SDKs have been properly installed and the UE4 set up per PICO’s documentation. We are not supposed to get this lag, or scenes crashing.In fact, I’m not convinced the problem comes from the scenes themselves. There’s another reason somewhere.Would one of you guys have any leads or ideas I could explore ?

Thanks in advance !

Have you been in contact with Pico’s development team to get support on this? It looks like a promising headset however it really needs the developers to support its adoption for it to get market share.

Hello David,
Yes, I’ve asked them a lot of questions already. We’ve also done a lot of testing to pinpoint the causes of the lags, and started to get some acceptable results. Let’s just say I was expecting better specs than those of the MIRAGE SOLO’s in terms of CPU ressources, but it’s pretty close actually. PICO recommended us to stay around 100.000 tris onscreen; we can’t due to the nature of our projects. We can go up to 600.000 with a lot of optimizations (same as in the MIRAGE) but I fear it’s the limit for a smooth experience.

Please don’t get me wrong, as a whole the headset IS a good product, there are a lot of strong points where it roars above the QUEST.

So, if you want to use it for archviz (as your are working for F+P, that might be the case), I’d recommand you to use it for “per room” visualization and not something like big halls, for instance, where the headset could suffer a bit. My two cents.

Thanks Davlin - have you done any testing yet wireless streaming from PC to the Pico? Would be interested in how it manages as Quest works surprisingly well using the Virtual Desktop plugin which helps get over some of the hardware performance issues. Would be interested to know how it’s room scale and motion controller tracking compares to Quest/WMR headsets as if that works well it could be a promising device.