Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Yes and that’s why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity… Because it’s a tinker toy…

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I’m not impressed with it’s stability and performance. Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it’s developers. Props to them for that. But for me it’s not enough.
But some of community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn’t let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don’t specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.
[/]

My background is not programming, but architecture, , compositing and I spend my time on a project getting the lighting to look realistic - in UE4 the lighting is marvelous something Unity can’t do. In fact, Unity got me frustrated last evening getting something look as near as good as in my UE4 project (without success). If I render in 3ds and compare to UE4 I can’t be bothered to fire up mental ray to render but do it in Unreal. Then I was watching the archviz demo from Unity - what a joke ! Also, Unity has no visual scripting out of the box, but you have to buy it on top of the license - meaning, if you collaborate with others they too need to buy it to get the job done, which is simply not acceptable for hardcore indie developers who calculate on a month by month basis instead like who calculate annually.

Then there is the performance in Unity. Out of the box, the amount of time you spend in Unity with getting a good frame rate vs Unreal 4 - you are at designing level 20 in UE4 while Unity is still at level 1.

It’s true there are tons of games made in Unity gotten green lit on Steam, but the quantity can’t be your argument here. I tried many Unity games and could write volumes how bad the performance is in these games. In the end of the day, it’s QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

Another last word to the 5% royalty, which many pro-Unity trolls seem to have a problem with. If you publish your game by EA or etc. they too make you a deal to get a slice from the cake whether the game is done with UE4 or game engine XYZ. I say the 5% is a fantastic deal getting the game engine free to use and updates etc. It’s more than meeting halfway from Epic, so, again a big Thank You is more appropriate than jealous sock puppets from Unity Tech trying to pull developers away from here.

here are some Unity “highlights” …

Lightshafts:

it’s like the sky is a blue tent with a hole in the sky where the sun is shining through… gosh, that’s bad !

glass refraction (unavailable)

[=cyberdemons;236547]
You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
I’ve absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I’m getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I’m going to do anything, but I’m going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.

Have fun :slight_smile:

I was mostly subscribed to show support. Is there a way to still donate? Maybe you can have a system where if you pay you may get faster official support.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I would be nice for Epic to clarify about $3k per quarter thing. Does it mean that each quarter separate cycle? For example, if I make $5k first quarter and $2k next quarter and $3k the following quarter, would I only pay 5% off $5k gross (or $2k gross?) for the first quarter only? Or since I made (hypothetically) $5k gross in the first quarter, I have to pay 5% for the first quarter and on ?

[=;237020]
if I make $5k first quarter and $2k next quarter and $3k the following quarter, would I only pay 5% off $5k gross (or $2k gross?) for the first quarter only?

Yep, that’s how it works. You’d only pay for that first quarter and only on the $2,000 after the first $3,000. You can theoretically make $12,000 a year without paying the royalty if you made exactly $3,000 every quarter. Let me know if you have any questions

I would like to say Thank You for . One of the problems I was thinking about was ‘How is a game going to have modding support when the tools to easily make mods are behind a pay wall?’ Thank you kindly.

Yes and that’s why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity… Because it’s a tinker toy…

[/]

Please keep in mind the fact that those games are played on by let’s players who have millions of subscribers. So those games are getting their own “advertisement” and are being showed to millions of people worldwide. Same thing happened to minecraft.

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I’m not impressed with it’s stability and performance.
[/]

That’s why so many AAA games were developed with unreal engine:

://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it’s developers. Props to them for that. But for me it’s not enough.
But some of community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn’t let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don’t specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.
[/]

Okay… No comment on that

[=;236385]
https://www…com/watch?v=g_MY5oP-ks4
[/]

@ @
Is there a listing showing all the games that were showcased on reel?
Thanks.

[=cyberdemons;236547]
You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
I’ve absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I’m getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I’m going to do anything, but I’m going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.

Welcome to the forums, cyberdemons! The best way to get started is to take a look at our documentation and videos. Here are a few links to get you started!

.unrealengine/latest/INT/

https://wiki.unrealengine/Videos

A great series for learning the basics is here: https://wiki.unrealengine/Videos/Player?series=PLZlv_N0_O1gasd4IcOe9Cx9wHoBB7rxFl

Finally, post on the forums! Our community is amazing and most of the developers here are more than willing to help!

Thanks for Epic Games!

I just spent a couple of days with Unity 5.0 and it is a lot better than Unity 4.0, performance was much better I must admit even loaded full of post. BUT Unreal Engine has so many more tools and just looks absolutely beautiful even if it is a little rough around the edges, it’s the promise of what can be and no limitations which as a developer which makes it a miracle.

We’re spoilt for choice now I must admit, but with Epic’s amazing support and the engine ever improving at a rapid pace it’s still in my number 1 spot. Although I will have a sneaky peak at source 2 whenever it peeps it’s head.

I have had my eye on UE for years now. It’s amazing how far everything has come in UE4.

Even though I fully agree that the 19 dollars-a-month was affordable, for a game design hobbyist like myself, I wanted to be able to learn on my free time, but the commitment to a monthly payment kept me from doing so. To students, or simply, any young kid with a computer who wants to learn, free access means everything.

I look forward to UE4’s future.

Thank you at Epic!

Y’all are full on brill’
Thanks so very much!
I hope nets billions for you.

[=TigrisMorte;238346]
Y’all are full on brill’
Thanks so very much!
I hope nets billions for you.
[/]

Epic Games deserved it for sure! Community love at its best!

[=hamsterPL;236374]
information really encouraged me to make and publish small games, despite that I already have the engine :slight_smile:

What about codes (from game jam) which I didn’t redeem? Will you give other prize? :wink:
[/]

I’m also interested in the use for the codes, any new info on ?

!..That’s…totally EPIC!. The move demonstrates LOVE to the community and to all starving developers trying to make something Unreal or any imaginable vision in question.
Thanks and Epic TEAM.

hi mods/epic;
a quick question regarding subscriptions…

I kinda talked my company into getting a UE4 subscription and they literally bought it like a day before it went free. I mean it was only $19 so obviously it’s not a biggie at all, however, it is a little awkward lol.
also they don’t really have any need for a $30 marketplace voucher. are they transferable?
do you guys have anything planned for people who bought it a couple of days before you decided to offer it for free? just curious.

thank you!

[=HSbF6;239118]
hi mods/epic;

I kinda talked my company into getting a UE4 subscription and they literally bought it like a day before it went free. I mean it was only $19 so obviously it’s not a biggie at all, however, it is a little awkward lol.
also they don’t really have any need for a $30 marketplace voucher. are they transferable?
do you guys have anything planned for people who bought it a couple of days before you decided to offer it for free? just curious.

thank you!

They said that they would a refund for the last payment so all good :slight_smile:

[]
In going free, we’ll be issuing a pro-rated refund to current subscribers for their most recent month’s payment. And, who has ever paid for a UE4 subscription will receive a $30 credit that can be spent in the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

[=HSbF6;239118]
hi mods/epic;

thank you!
[/]

Absolutely!

In the original post, was mentioned:

In going free, we’ll be issuing a pro-rated refund to current subscribers for their most recent month’s payment. And, who has ever paid for a UE4 subscription will receive a $30 credit that can be spent in the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

In regards to the marketplace credit, I do not believe these are transferable. However, you can contact for further information.