Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

[=wielkiczarnyafgan;235723]
Guys - got one question. I think I did not spot it in the terms of use, when I bought the subscription. “You pay 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first 3,000$ per product, per quarter”. Does it mean: do I have to pay 5% of gross revenue, or 20% of gross revenue ? “per quarter” thing makes me nervous…
[/]

You pay 5% on earnings greater than $3000 per quarter, per game. Technically you can make $12,000 in a year and not owe Epic anything, but that depends on how the sales go.

For more info check out the FAQ here: https://www.unrealengine/faq

Here’s a :

[]
If I release a commercial product, what royalties are due to Epic, and when?
Generally, you are obligated to pay to Epic 5% of all gross revenue after the first $3,000 per game or application per calendar quarter, regardless of what company collects the revenue. For example, if your product earns $10 from sales on the App Store, the royalty due is $0.50 (5% of $10), even though you would receive roughly $7 from Apple after they deduct their distribution fee of roughly $3 (30% of $10).

Royalty payments are due 45 days after the close of each calendar quarter. Along with the payment, you must send a royalty report on a per-product basis.
[/]

Thanks that’s great!

[=;235761]
When I hear things like that I’m getting palpitations. How is C# easier to code than C++? It’s the same like saying riding a bike is easier than driving a car. C# is simply not as powerful as C++ and so it follows easier to learn. Not easier to code. Jesus…
[/]

C# is easier to code in because its memory safe, doesn’t have tons of syntax oddities, doesn’t requires redundant header files, compiles faster,
While C# can be used to develop lower level code in the “unsafe” block, C++ is easier to get more optimized code. So “easy” is context sensitive but most contexts pertaining to “easy” and how most think of it C# takes the cake. C#'s flaw in performance is hugely held back by the runtime rather then the lang itself (Although Core is only 3x as slow vs C++ now). C# as a syntax and means of reading code is easier but not when it comes to native, is where it needs some major work.

[=zezba9000;235795]
C# is easier to code in because its memory safe,
[/]

You are aware of the fact that C# app can leak memory are you?

And 3x slower means 300% slower.
To put into perspective:
We both drive cars:
You drive 30 km/h
I drive mine already 90 km/h
you go to 50 km/h which is a city traffic speed
and I already 150 km/h which comes close to racing speed
you hit 80 km/h
and I am 240 which is almost flying speed.
3x slower is a massive amount of being slower.

And I’m getting into pointless discussion about languages… unbelievable.

Let’s keep discussion on topic please, if you wan’t to discuss the differences between programming languages feel free to open a thread in the General Discussion section. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[=;235827]
You are aware of the fact that C# app can leak memory are you?

And 3x slower means 300% slower.
To put into perspective:
We both drive cars:
You drive 30 km/h
I drive mine already 90 km/h
you go to 50 km/h which is a city traffic speed
and I already 150 km/h which comes close to racing speed
you hit 80 km/h
and I am 240 which is almost flying speed.
3x slower is a massive amount of being slower.

And I’m getting into pointless discussion about languages… unbelievable.
[/]

Yes i’m a very well established C# developer and fully understand memory leaks in C#. Its still considered a memory safe language for 90% of the work you do. When its not you take spacial precautions vs worrying about it all the time with C++. Hope you’re not using that as an argument in favor of C++ as it doesn’t make sense.

Also I wasn’t arguing the merits of performance but rather how easier coding is. Yes 3x = 300% stating it differently doesn’t change it mathematically. 3x slower doesn’t matter for huge amount of projects FYI. In fact C# / is actually faster for desktop applications in many cases, just not games (depends on the project). Although with IL2CPP, SharpLang(.NET to LLVM) C# as a lang will eventually be almost on par with C++ is my guess. But that hypothetical is not realized yet.

@ Sry about that i’ll let go ;p

c++ is not always faster that c# one example is C# Dictionary vs c++ hash map
://www.codeproject/Articles/212856/Head-to-head-benchmark-Csharp-vs-NET
having a garbage collector if you create/destroy thousands of objects you may have a litle advantage over c++ of course with c++ you may find a ways to do it faster but you will consume a lot more coffee in the process :wink:
if all the engine was done in c# probable will be extremely slower but if you use c# just to control ue objects like blueprints are used probable the penalty will not be so big.
there is already a c# for
if you truly want to know ue4 there is only one way c++ :slight_smile: but for prototyping and small things c# and blueprints may be a perfect choice

So not only can I get it for free now, but you also gave me money?! Everything I know about how to do business says is wrong, but it feels so right. Thank you! :wink:

Both C# and C++ have their uses, they’ve been tossed back and forth lot’s of times on the forums and there will never be a defined winner, each has strengths and weaknesses. I did however find it interesting that Unity commented on the speed advantage of C++, and even put it to the test. The test yielded 40 FPS in C++ and 14 FPS in C#. Interesting result.

Anyway… there’s another thread for that kind of chat :wink: Right Here

Meanwhile… yay free stuff!

Why the UE4 Sizzle Reel video on now appears as private?? :frowning: www…com/watch?v=5orTzUuZPOg

Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it’s nice they made the Pro features free and all… But, I’m really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy’s all rock.

[=;234903]
He is just trolling … I find if you don’t feed IT … IT goes away. 8-}

Sometimes I really wish there was Reddit style up/down votes for posts, with post being hidden behind a toggle when it receives enough down votes,

That way the forum would be much cleaner for those of us who walk atop the bridge, and those who like to look below can toggle posts if they want to see them.

information really encouraged me to make and publish small games, despite that I already have the engine :slight_smile:

What about codes (from game jam) which I didn’t redeem? Will you give other prize? :wink:

[=ZeroByte;236268]
Well, I just tried Unity 5 Personal, it’s nice they made the Pro features free and all… But, I’m really starting to like Unreal Engine 4, thanks Epic for making it free, You guy’s all rock.

I tested Unity 5 all evening, it’s still as bad as it always has been.
Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it’s a fact).

[=domi109;236396]
Unity 3D is nowhere near a competition to Unreal Engine 4, but a tinker toy (it’s a fact).
[/]

I guess it all depends on what you use the various engines for or what you expect from an engine. For instance not being able to customise your splash screen is a deal breaker for me … but others might not see it as that.

I think both have their good points and bad points but as everything in life, use the right tools for the right job. I tried Unity after I left Torque 3D and it didn’t have the right fit for my needs, Unreal Engine on the other hand fitted my needs perfectly and the price (at that stage) was workable. Obviously I am comparing the FREE version of Unity with the paid version of Unreal (at that stage). The paid version of Unity was out of my price bracket.

Initially the learning curve on Unreal was much higher than I anticipated … but now I look back at how productive you can be in Unreal and how rapidly you can prototype something … is not something I could have achieved with Torque 3D or Unity.

Others will feel differently and a large portion will come try out Unreal and then go back to Unity or another engine because it is what they are comfortable with. All I can say to the new comers is: stick it out with Unreal … you will be greatly rewarded once you get the hang of it … and the community is always here to help.

You people are insane. Crazy and insane. I was looking at game making engines like rpgmaker vx and eventually stumbled upon your website and then it hit me - Unreal engine is FREE.
I’ve absolutely no idea about programming, 3D work, etc. But I’m getting Unreal right now and I have no idea how I’m going to do anything, but I’m going to do something. Thank you, Epic Games.

[=domi109;236396]
[/]

Yes and that’s why some of the Steam top games like Stranded Deep and The Forest, which selling millions of copies are made with Unity… Because it’s a tinker toy…

I tested Unreal at the very beginning when it came out and now again after it went free. Only with the best intentions and a real interest in it. And all I can say is that I’m not impressed with it’s stability and performance. Eventually I use the tool that is the most productive one for me. And that is unfortunately not Unreal Engine for me. It has some really nice features and you see a great effort from it’s developers. Props to them for that. But for me it’s not enough.
But some of community here (not all of course) should really put down they fanboy-hats. Saying Unity is bad is just ridiculous and doesn’t let you look like someone who is serious about game developing. Especially if you don’t specify why Unity is bad.

But whatever floats your boat.

Just a reminder guys … keep it civil and friendly. Thanks. 8-}

I saw the news yesterday evening.
Great Move, Epic Games!
Thanks a lot!

That’s Epic! :slight_smile: