Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

is , $30 really, thank you so much.
The engine was more than worth the subscription price let alone being free! :smiley:

[=;235373]
Thanks for , I’ll make sure one of the site runners see it and get it sorted!
[/]

Could you please stop acting like an Admin or Epic employee? You are just a moderator. So stop giving yourself airs, Epic staff is reading here and they will also read what “” has wrote, so you have no reason to answer as if you could do “something special” to fix text. Thanks.

Epic, I would like to sing you a little song, that expresses my feelings and emotions right now. It goes a little like : Did I ever tell you you’re my hero? You’re everything, everything I wish I could be. Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle, because you are the wind beneath my wings, because you are the wind beneath my wings. . .

(disclaimer: Lyrics used for satirical, comedic effect)

[=;235077]
I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean is going to happen.
[/]

You don’t have to forget that Epic Games carefully checks through content and only picks and uploads quality work on the marketplace.

[= ;235500]
Could you please stop acting like an Admin or Epic employee? You are just a moderator. So stop giving yourself airs, Epic staff is reading here and they will also read what “” has wrote, so you have no reason to answer as if you could do “something special” to fix text. Thanks.
[/]

is such a high volume thread that any requests could easily be missed, so we are monitoring it for info such as . We have submitted the info for Epic to look into further.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

[=Shockwave-;235012]

Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects

grijp maar aan je eigen neus

I can’t get anywhere with getting installed. After I try to log in to the
epic games launcher I get an error message saying: Did not get a response.
Are you connected to the Internet?

Why YES, I am connected to the Internet!

I click OK and it takes me back to the login page.

Why can’t I just download and install? I already
registered an account.

Hi!

Wanted to say thanks and let you know that you’re . :slight_smile:

Just when we thought you couldn’t top what you have done already, you go and do something like .

Talk about blowing the competition out of the water. Now there’s literally NO valid reason to use another engine!

Well played Epic, well played indeed.

-C-

[=Shockwave-;235012]
Can’t understand why everybody is so happy with news. I had no problem paying 20$/month for such a great engine (with source code). Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects and it will be harder to find interesting information or project/projects. Hope I’m wrong and the quality of great UE4 community won’t decrease.

P.S. Poor moderators :slight_smile:
[/]

I agree with 90% but you have to remember will bring a ton of extra professionals, in additon to 100x “I can make the next COD and Minecraft at the same time in 2 weeks” people. Bad and good.

The moderators are indeed hating . said is the craziest he has ever seen the forum in his entire 1200 post history.

Now that Unity 5 is free with all pro features I’m inclined to switch back since I havnt started porting my project to Unreal 4. I love Unreal 4, but I started with Unity (albiet only made a couple small hobby games). Tough choice guysyou have to admit the indie game industry just got revolutionized twice in 24 hours. C# is so much easier to code in, but you still have Unity with its aging PhysX and non-source code, but on the flipside they have compatibility and the asset store. Unreal Engine 4: C++ is needed to make really really complicated things which is a tougher language to learn, albiet much more versitile, Unreal is graphically superior (although I have to see if Unity has included the promised-forever Global Illumination) and has so many features built right in you save 500-1500$ in things you dont have to buy from the asset store. Its a tough time for someone starting a new project (like myself) or getting into the indie game development scene.

Edit: I cant even login to my Unity account online and their site is nearly inaccessable. Epic handled their rush much much better yesterday.

[= ;235500]
[/]

Actually, The moderators talk to people at Epic quite a lot; A lot of posts can get overlooked in the forums with all these posts, So when I can help, I shoot a message to someone to try and sort it out.

I never say I’m an admin / Epic employee; I’m a person who wants to help out; And if that means spamming certain staff members with links to help problems get sorted; Then so be it :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;235559]
The moderators are indeed hating . said is the craziest he has ever seen the forum in his entire 1200 post history.
[/]

I wouldn’t go that far! No one here is hating it whatsoever, it’s been fun! Sure it’s busier than normal, but I have no problem with that, keeps things interesting :wink:

Will reply on the other thread shortly!

[=;235559]
I agree with 90% but you have to remember will bring a ton of extra professionals, in additon to 100x “I can make the next COD and Minecraft at the same time in 2 weeks” people. Bad and good.

Now that Unity 5 is free with all pro features I’m inclined to switch back since I havnt started porting my project to Unreal 4. I love Unreal 4, but I started with Unity (albiet only made a couple small hobby games). Tough choice guysyou have to admit the indie game industry just got revolutionized twice in 24 hours. C# is so much easier to code in, but you still have Unity with its aging PhysX and non-source code, but on the flipside they have compatibility and the asset store. Unreal Engine 4: C++ is needed to make really really complicated things which is a tougher language to learn, albiet much more versitile, Unreal is graphically superior (although I have to see if Unity has included the promised-forever Global Illumination) and has so many features built right in you save 500-1500$ in things you dont have to buy from the asset store. Its a tough time for someone starting a new project (like myself) or getting into the indie game development scene.

Edit: I cant even login to my Unity account online and their site is nearly inaccessable. Epic handled their rush much much better yesterday.
[/]

Well, it’s a rational solution, good luck with finishing your game! :slight_smile:
About c# part though: Blueprints are intended as a scripting language replacement. New people often assume it’s kismet on steroids, but actually it is very powerful scripting language. The only difference is code/visual “interface” so to say

is actually great news for someone like me who’s already stretched pretty thin on subscriptions as it is. :slight_smile:

Gives me a new editor to mess around in and learn now that I have the hardware to do it with.

[=;235612]
Well, it’s a rational solution, good luck with finishing your game! :slight_smile:
About c# part though: Blueprints are intended as a scripting language replacement. New people often assume it’s kismet on steroids, but actually it is very powerful scripting language. The only difference is code/visual “interface” so to say

I agree I’m loving the node based system not only for scripting, but for materials/shaders as well since I’m a visual learner and my background in and being a tutor for Blender makes node based anything very homely to me. I’m gonna download Unity 5 and see how they’ve changed it. If the global illumination is that great, maybe. Otherwise I’ll stick here. I love your ocean solution and really want to add to it as I pick up more about blueprint/C++/UE 4

As a big Unity3D user the biggest thing keeping me from considering the Unreal Engine is lack of platform support. I know its new and needs time to mature so its fine for now but Windows Phone 8 or PlayStation Vita isn’t even supported which kills it for me on any Indie dev project.
Well see what happens now with all the new stuff going on as far as platform support.

[=Nebulon Ranger;235634]
is actually great news for someone like me who’s already stretched pretty thin on subscriptions as it is. :slight_smile:

Gives me a new editor to mess around in and learn now that I have the hardware to do it with.
[/]

Exactly, now I can take up the IK or Speed tree subs without thought now, so it helps along others as well :slight_smile:

Guys - got one question. I think I did not spot it in the terms of use, when I bought the subscription. “You pay 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first 3,000$ per product, per quarter”. Does it mean: do I have to pay 5% of gross revenue, or 20% of gross revenue ? “per quarter” thing makes me nervous…

[=wielkiczarnyafgan;235723]
Guys - got one question. I think I did not spot it in the terms of use, when I bought the subscription. “You pay 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first 3,000$ per product, per quarter”. Does it mean: do I have to pay 5% of gross revenue, or 20% of gross revenue ? “per quarter” thing makes me nervous…
[/]

You are doing the math wrong. Multiplication does not become addition just because the multiplication happens 4 times.

Say they took 25% as an example:
1 = (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f) + (1 * .25f)
1 = (4 * .25f)

As you can see if I multiplied how much I make in 1 year by 25% its the same as if I multiplied each yearly quarter then added the result.

[=;235559]
C# is so much easier to code in

When I hear things like that I’m getting palpitations. How is C# easier to code than C++? It’s the same like saying riding a bike is easier than driving a car. C# is simply not as powerful as C++ and so it follows easier to learn. Not easier to code. Jesus…

[=wielkiczarnyafgan;235723]
[/]

5% of gross :slight_smile: Just means to pay it per quarter. If you don’t make $3,000 in a quarter? You don’t pay :slight_smile: