Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

Epic news is epic :slight_smile:

Also, am really doing my very best to resist trolling the 1% who are complaining about the ā€œcommon folkā€ being allowed into the country club.

://lbifoodies/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Snooty-Guy.jpg

Gosh darn it.

[=Triplelexx;234708]
Thereā€™s been a lot of change with engine along with Unity recently. I would expect some transitional issues.

The fact that the process is very open with engine, and the progress consistent, I have a lot of faith going forward.
If they project to continue progress at the same pace, in addition to offering open access to licenses I think itā€™s great.

Do you consider that maybe deal will mean more people might contribute to improving the engine for free?

I donā€™t think things are so clear cut, and I think itā€™s an Epic move.
[/]

Well the biggest benefit to me is modding, users sign up for a free UE4 account and hey presto you can allow them to have an editor. More people will contribute? Potentially, but if youā€™re remotely serious about games development than $20.00 is nothing, so no I donā€™t believe it will greatly expand ā€œcontributionā€ pools. A counter balance would be the influx of new developers when Epic are already stretched thin as is.

Weā€™ve had a lot of support and great interaction with Epic thus far, as long as that doesnā€™t change then Iā€™m all for.

[= ;235059]

Also, am really doing my very best to resist trolling the 1% who are complaining about the ā€œcommon folkā€ being allowed into the country club.

[/]

Could they at least provide seperate club rooms? :wink:

Any developer in the sense of a ā€˜developerā€™ was able to afford the $19. So far the UE4 $19 provided a barrier for kids.
The $0 thing opens the doors for millions of kids, who after spending endless time in UE4 figuring out what product means, will publish ā€˜blood spray kitsā€™ and so on.
I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean is going to happen.
I do not consider myself elitist when I say that all those common people in the club will drag the quality down and UE4 will get a reputation next to Blender vs 3dsmax.
I am a bit afraid of .

[=;235077]

Any developer in the sense of a ā€˜developerā€™ was able to afford the $19. So far the UE4 $19 provided a barrier for kids.
The $0 thing opens the doors for millions of kids, who after spending endless time in UE4 figuring out what product means, will publish ā€˜blood spray kitsā€™ and so on.
I can already see 99% of the market place content being warrior princess and dragon stuff. I mean is going to happen.
I do not consider myself elitist when I say that all those common people in the club will drag the quality down and UE4 will get a reputation next to Blender vs 3dsmax.
I am a bit afraid of .
[/]

Itā€™s no different - it was never much of a ā€œbarrierā€, if I was an 9 year old kid Iā€™d just ask my mom for ā‚¬20 then unsubscribe.

Who cares if kids want to try make games, itā€™s great, starts somewhere. If you donā€™t want to help them on the forums or play their games, then donā€™t.
It wonā€™t stop larger game using the engine.

You canā€™t use the word ā€œcommon peopleā€ without sounding elitist.

Also, Blender has a great reputation.

AAAAH! Itā€™s free! I donā€™t know what to say! I bought it maybe 10 days agoā€¦ Thanks you, thank you, thank you! Now my friends are going to use it!

A big thanks you from me, and many other developers around the world.

Is anyone else having trouble installing it? I keep getting error code 2738.

[=;235077]

I am a bit afraid of .
[/]

Funny thoughts.

I started programming at the age of 12. was 36 Years ago.

What would happen if people like me starting to complain about people with not-so-much-experience?

Thankyou for making a AAA platform which artists with little technical skills can use to make games. Hopefully the learning curve continues to be low.

Thank you Epic :rolleyes:

ok so i just register to download UE4,i press the button get unreal i created an account,then i went to dashboard and pressed download UE for windows,i waited and it show epic game launcher,i tried to find to download from there UE but there isnā€™t anything,what to do?

[=DEVASTRATOR;235205]
ok so i just register to download UE4,i press the button get unreal i created an account,then i went to dashboard and pressed download UE for windows,i waited and it show epic game launcher,i tried to find to download from there UE but there isnā€™t anything,what to do?

Has the launcher installed and you have ran it? After you sign in, click on the library tab in the launcher and you will have the option to add an engine, then click the Install button, and it will download and install

[=]
I absolutely love !..But is there a donate button somewhere? I feel bad having such a wonderful engine for free. Iā€™d like to give every once in a while. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

+1 i Agreed, Epic gave us a impressive (im still shocked at 3:00 spanish hour) a win-win move, I would (unles you get profit for that 5% of your games logically, does count really) donate being you as developer, modder, mapper, contents or being a simple gamer from community. They deserve a great and big gratitude for that unexpected movement.

Long live Epic!
long live UT and Unreal!

[=Mosel3y;235214]
Has the launcher installed and you have ran it? After you sign in, click on the library tab in the launcher and you will have the option to add an engine, then click the Install button, and it will download and install

thank you doing it right now

Iā€™d love to be able to take my $19/month and spread it around the community a bit - Iā€™ve really relied on the likes of to move my project on (i did actually commission him to make a plug in for me) and itā€™d be great if I could throw a few dollars micropayment around - maybe we could have a button marked ā€˜tip contributorā€™ and a small payment is made to these altruists which exist in the forums?

Once more, thanks epic for all neat stuff.

Dan

I have bad feeling about itā€¦
shall we expect licence change next to something more restrict in return for free engine?

[=a.carter1182;233589]
Mind blowingā€¦I canā€™t say thanks enough. I hope I can give back somehowā€¦Iā€™ll have to figure it out :smiley:

I feel the same, but I believe what Epic ultimately wants us to do for giving back is to go out there and make a game!

If you end up selling it, and it succeeds, Epic succeeds as wellā€¦

-Will

[=wormpattern;235297]
I have bad feeling about itā€¦
shall we expect licence change next to something more restrict in return for free engine?
[/]

Nope :slight_smile: Itā€™s all the same apart from getting rid of the subscription fee; Youā€™re not dreaming: is happening :slight_smile:

Since I found out about , I took my mission to be to find some outdated stuff from your websites, and here we go:
https://www.unrealengine/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

ā€œ[FONT=Lucida Grande]For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engineā€™s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development.ā€

blog post has been my UE4 bookmark for half a year now, so I was sort of surprised the outdated info is here, not in some dark corner of documentation nobody has visited since the original release.

[=;235349]
Since I found out about , I took my mission to be to find some outdated stuff from your websites, and here we go:
https://www.unrealengine/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

ā€œ[FONT=Lucida Grande]For $19/month you can have access to everything, including the Unreal Editor in ready-to-run form, and the engineā€™s complete C++ source code hosted on GitHub for collaborative development.ā€

blog post has been my UE4 bookmark for half a year now, so I was sort of surprised the outdated info is here, not in some dark corner of documentation nobody has visited since the original release.
[/]

Thanks for , Iā€™ll make sure one of the site runners see it and get it sorted!

The progress that Unreal Engine 4 is making targeting the indie market is remarkable

Iā€™m a long time Unity 3d fan but the offers/quality/ease of Unrealā€™s tools is becoming better than Unityā€™s offer i have to be honest

Thanks Epic for making great tool available in full to all of us

5% royalty is 100% fair for what we are getting