Unreal Engine: Now Available to Everyone for Free

[=Mrdazza_460;234921]
…but don’t underestimate the 8 year old kid the more exposer people have to a program the more likely they will use it in the future.
[/]

I think someone quoted earlier on in the forums … and I ad-lib … but if a 8 year old now has access to the game engine for FREE and he can kick my butt with creating a game … then we should celebrate and be happy … I think is the point.

Some people (and I am not taking a stab at them) saw the $19 per month as their entry in to an elitist club and now they are being threatened because so many more people will come and challenge them. Personally is a good thing and I see the following happening:

1. There will be a huge influx of new people taking on Unreal Engine
  2. Some will stay but some will go back to other engines that they are more comfortable with
  3. The engine will grow stronger because more games will be developed (both good and bad)
  4. The community will continue to grow and will continue to move forward

For a while, we will have to cope with a lot of questions and a lot of repeat questions … but eventually I think the ship will stabilise and the normality will return. Those that don’t like it … will leave … some of them will try to justify their leaving by complaining that all happened because the engine went free (I have seen happen before on an engine that shall not be named).

In the end there will always be those for and those against what has happened … it is not up to use to make them choose or judge their choices … all we can hope is that they don’t get nasty and try to pollute the forums. They should rather move on and find an engine and a business model that suits them.

Finally … my mom always used to say: If you don’t have something nice to say rather not say anything at all … hopefully one day internet users will remember that there are human beings on the other side of the screen and they have feelings too.

p.s. To all the naysayers … I wish you well and good luck. I am however sticking with Epic and taking roller coaster ride to the end.

[=;234924]
I am actually happy that they released it for free.

I only want to express concerns, because model is common practise in software development. Also quite understandable, since software does not need that same man power for maintaining, than for development.

But I also think, Epic Games, does a great move here.
[/]

Your concerns are invalid, you can’t even get the software version right.

[=;234932]
Your concerns are invalid, you can’t even get the software version right.

haha…ok: 4.71, not 4.7 :slight_smile:

But honestly, I think it is a good move from Epic. I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.

[=;234951]
I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.

LOL … you had to get that in there didn’t you … 8-p

too many changes in just one year…
The app updates daily…
I spend more time to read what’s new in forum than to learn the software…
Ok now It’s free but I preferred to pay service as I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft monthly.
If I pay I can request a and someone will answer.
Now thousands of users will ask for free updates
Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks

[=;234929]
I think someone quoted earlier on in the forums … and I ad-lib … but if a 8 year old now has access to the game engine for FREE and he can kick my butt with creating a game … then we should celebrate and be happy … I think is the point.

Some people (and I am not taking a stab at them) saw the $19 per month as their entry in to an elitist club and now they are being threatened because so many more people will come and challenge them. Personally is a good thing and I see the following happening:

1. There will be a huge influx of new people taking on Unreal Engine
  2. Some will stay but some will go back to other engines that they are more comfortable with
  3. The engine will grow stronger because more games will be developed (both good and bad)
  4. The community will continue to grow and will continue to move forward

For a while, we will have to cope with a lot of questions and a lot of repeat questions … but eventually I think the ship will stabilise and the normality will return. Those that don’t like it … will leave … some of them will try to justify their leaving by complaining that all happened because the engine went free (I have seen happen before on an engine that shall not be named).

In the end there will always be those for and those against what has happened … it is not up to use to make them choose or judge their choices … all we can hope is that they don’t get nasty and try to pollute the forums. They should rather move on and find an engine and a business model that suits them.

Finally … my mom always used to say: If you don’t have something nice to say rather not say anything at all … hopefully one day internet users will remember that there are human beings on the other side of the screen and they have feelings too.

p.s. To all the naysayers … I wish you well and good luck. I am however sticking with Epic and taking roller coaster ride to the end.
[/]

I understand there concerns and there frustration though, people go to university, study hard, get a job, work hard, work there way up in the industry, only to have a bunch of people like me who have no qualification come in and try to make a game, and making products like UE4 free and others like blender may seem like there industry is going down the toilet with all really **** games out there. but when you really face the facts 97% of people like me will never relace anything another 2% will crate a game that that will be forgotten in 2 minutes and 1% of people will crate game that is O.K. in it’s own right. but in saying that people shouldn’t be put off buy other people that have a grudge against the “hobbits” as playing games are fun and making game should be as well

[=;234960]
The app updates daily…
Ok now It’s free but I preferred to pay service as I pay Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft monthly.
Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks
[/]

You paid and you could ask and suggest. Never request.
Nothing changes. You still can ask and suggest. And if the suggestion is worthy, I’m pretty certain they will consider it and perhaps even implement.

@: You don’t have to upgrade to every version. Take it slow and start with an idea … don’t try to become an expert over night. And I really hope for the love of all that is holy Epic never goes for a PRO version.

@Mrdazza_460: That was not intended as a poke at people like you. I for one have no concerns and I am looking forward to the challenges. Your analysis is right and anyone threatened by that should maybe choose another industry. The Indie movement is all about innovation and community … or ubuntu as we say in South Africa. I wish all the best and look forward to seeing what comes out.

[=;234951]
haha…ok: 4.71, not 4.7 :slight_smile:

But honestly, I think it is a good move from Epic. I will certainly spent the $30 for some nice landscapes.
[/]

I meant your 4.99999 lol. It goes like : 4.10, but then again we’ve seen Microsoft go from 8 to 10 :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;234960]
The app updates daily…
Please make Unreal Pro.

thanks
[/]

Hi , nice to see you here too. The name rang a bell

://www.octane.it/gallery/-7/

I am completely with you. I would pay e.g. $9.99 for a service plan or something like .

Look at Gabriele
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?60696-Scandinavian

[=;234973]
I meant your 4.99999 lol. It goes like : 4.10, but then again we’ve seen Microsoft go from 8 to 10 :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

That’s correct, it goes 4.10, 4.11 and so on, just don’t confuse it with windows; 8, 8.1 and 10 are just names, not versions, widnows 8 has a version of 6.2 and 8.1 a version of 6.3 for instance.

is great to see. It’s what the world needs more of these days. There is so much to go around and so much opportunity, business just needs to identify and embrace win-win models like .

Also, I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it either, but I guess if Tencent have a major stake in Epic and are also responsible for these type of decisions, then a thanks need to go out to them also. So pass it on if that’s the case.

@
@

You two do realize that Epic offers custom licensing deals for companies who wish to have different terms such as dedicated support and a larger impact on features in the engine? You have to negotiate the terms with them, of course, but that hasn’t changed from before.

Personally, I believe that decision has brought nothing but good for Epic and the engine as a whole. Dropping the very small pay barrier has opened the gates for thousands of developers to get into the engine, create their games and improve the tools. The engine is open-source, and more people most likely means more ideas and features ^.=.^

I should probably add UE4 to the community list of free tools and resources :smiley:

Oh yeah … forgot about that … as Jargon mentioned: Custom Licensing.

@ Yeh I was more agreeing with you anyway

They announce $5m in dev grants and then they get rid of the subscription. They are practically paying us to make games! :slight_smile:

Can’t understand why everybody is so happy with news. I had no problem paying 20$/month for such a great engine (with source code). Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects and it will be harder to find interesting information or project/projects. Hope I’m wrong and the quality of great UE4 community won’t decrease.

P.S. Poor moderators :slight_smile:

Have I mentioned that you guys are ?

Because you are.

[=Shockwave-;235012]
Can’t understand why everybody is so happy with news. I had no problem paying 20$/month for such a great engine (with source code). Now I think there will be way MORE people on the forums asking dumb questions, posting their uber MMORPG projects and it will be harder to find interesting information or project/projects. Hope I’m wrong and the quality of great UE4 community won’t decrease.
[/]

I think the initial influx will be information overload … but eventually it will settle down and the quality will go up. I agree with not having a problem paying the $19 … but I guess only time will tell how it goes.

I am kind of neutral … excited to see what is going to happen … a little nervous because of have been through something similar before with another game engine … slightly overwhelmed because of the influx of new users … I am kind of going Ninja on the forums now … until things settle down. 8-}