Unreal Engine Livestream - Unreal Insights - August 29 - Live from HQ

WHAT
On this week’s livestream we’ll take a look at the beta release of Unreal Insights. Designed to help users better understand what is happening inside the engine, the tool provides a glimpse of log output, as well as CPU and asset loading performance tooling. Learn more about how it operates, as well as how it is designed to allow for other kinds of information to be traced, collected and visualized together in a variety of ways.

WHEN
Thursday, August 29 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
Youtube

WHO
Ionut Matasaru - Senior Engine Programmer
Stefan Boberg - Engineering Director, Foundation
Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp](http://twitter.com/victor1erp)

ARCHIVE
Unreal Insights | Live from HQ | Inside Unreal - YouTube

omg, this looks incredible!
Is this going to be released in 4.23 or is it already available in 4.22?

It’s available in 4.23!

is this a replacement to the profiler ?

Judging by that screenshot, looks like it. Hopefully we’ll be going from binoculars to a microscope in terms of tracking down performance issues.

I can rarely find anything in the profiler. Hopefully this works much better

amazing stuff Epic! super excited for this

this looks Soooo… much easier !! can’t wait to see the details !! literally :wink:

SVR33 = excite. This is awesome.

looking forward it

Will there be any way to use Insights from target devices (i.e. to catch data from a package then read it as with the profiler)?

Doesn’t work with editor apparently. Wow, **very **useful

Yes, it works with the editor. That was one of the goals of developing it. You can use it to profile the editor itself, games being played inside the editor, or standalone games. Make sure to add the relevant command lines arguments to the editor or standalone exe you want to profile. See documentation for those: Unreal Insights in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

@tmek https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/944055/view.html

This looks great. I’ve been trying to follow along with the live demo. When I capture data from the Infiltrator Demo, I see frame ticks and can activate a graph view and see loading time info. But I see no groupable cpu threads. I’ve tried this on the 4.24 binary via the launcher as well as source compiled exes from 4.23 and 4.25. Is there an extra flag I need to activate?

I’ve got the following params set for the stand alone launch:
-cpuprofiletrace -loadtimetrace -statnamedevents

I believe those are all using the default macros and I shouldn’t need to turn anything else “on”. Is this correct?

Is there a better forum where this tool is discussed?

thanks in advance for any guidance!

nevermind. Found my typo.

-cpuprofiletrace was missing an “r”.

should be:
-cpuprofilertrace

/sigh/
Sorry for the bother. :slight_smile: