Unreal Engine 5 crashing

I’m new to Unreal Engine 5 Editor and try to learn to use it, but it crashes all the time. Sometimes the editor crashes when its still launching and sometimes I can use it max 5 minutes before it crashes. I have tried to solve the problem with this article but it does not help.

My specs:

• Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB, studio driver 536.40
  • Ryzen 5 7600X
  • 32GB of RAM
  • Windows 11 22H2
  • Unreal Engine 5.1.1

The problem also persists with Unreal Engine 5.2.1 and game ready version of the GPU driver.

At the time of a crash GPU memory usage is less than 50% and its fans are spinning way below 100%. RAM is also around 30% used.

The crash report I encounter:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000008

The hexadecimal number at the end varies.

Any way I can solve this problem?

Copied from a Reddit post I found:

I know this is a bit old, but my fix was this:

Go into NVidia Control Panel and reset global to defaults. I had some things changed for overall system performance gains, but unreal did not like them. I suggest working with unreal as an individual app settings in the NVidia control panel if you need to alter the performance of the app.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/l4qqy5/persistent_crashing_exception_access_violation_ue/

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hey there @pyrylahtinen! Welcome to the community! Thunder’s correct that sometimes defaulting your Nvidia settings can also help. However in the cases that it doesn’t, I’ve got a thread full of GPU crash fixes and workarounds.

Since your error is in regards to a memory location, it could be a somewhat esoteric issue with things like MSI Afterburner or the Geforce Experience game ready drivers. I’ve had users with the same and similar errors have to drop to studio drivers or entirely custom install the drivers without the Geforce Experience. Though let’s hope your situation isn’t as drastic!