Unreal Engine 5.5 Preview

Does nanite work for anyone on a mac? It doesn’t seem to be working in 5.5 but I am not sure if project got broken or nanite doesn’t work.

Oh and disabling every target RHI selection in project settings will make it impossible to load the project with this error:

Assertion failed: RequestedFeatureLevel != ERHIFeatureLevel::Num [File:./Runtime/RHI/Private/Apple/AppleDynamicRHI.cpp] [Line: 110]

1 Like

That MegaLights technology is revolutionary. I Just Tested it and works mostly ok even today when we have just a preview. Problems started when I tested a copy of my VR game it looks like Left eye recieve all shaders calculations but right eye have some glitches. When I move my HMD into specific direction and rotation then i was able to see entire scene how it should be by both eyes. I know its to early but I hope Epic Team is cooking something for VR developers as well. That would be awesome! Epic! You Are GREAT!

4 Likes

“StillRenderSetupAutomation” widget is not working
so we can’t batch render still in 5.5

Thanks for an update!

In future release I would love to see better performance on mobile

GPU Visualizer completely broken on Vulkan while using it by shortcut ( Ctrl + Shift + , )

1 Like

Is this and this now fixed, who knows?

I dont think its working properly right now, you have to disable static lighting to enable it without a crash and the performance is the exact same as just having no LODs with no noticable model changes as you zoom in or out. with no LODs I get 40 fps with 400 mutant skeletal meshes from mixamo and with nanite I get 40fps with the same, so I dont think its actually working properly right now. hopefully its fixed in the release build.

It also doesnt say “Nanite triangles” or allow you to see a fallback like with nanite static meshes, which further makes me think its bugged in the preview build.

2 Likes

Realy thanks for Megalights! It was huge pain for me with interiors. And when room were close together separated by normal wall.

1 Like

There is an issue with anisotropic filtering of virtual textures when they are on a ceiling, and the pattern repeats it completely warps. This wasn’t present in 5.4.

There is instability in the geometry rendering. I don’t know why, but there are black popping artifacts at certain moments depending on how you look at the geometry (I’m using Nanite).

Does megalights support World Partition? Seems like the DXR acceleration structures are difficult to tile.

Also, not meaning to spoil it for you, guys, but the DXR world sees no skeletal meshes, so those won’t be available for advanced (area-lit) shadow casting.

Epics would need some kind of local shadow mapping technology for characters to cast (any) shadows.

1 Like

In 5.5, there is clearly a major issue with the display of virtual textures. For example, there is a lot of distortion, and it moves in real-time when the camera is moved.

And here in 5.4, there is no distortion at all; everything is perfect whether the camera is moving or not.

3 Likes

Windows Shipping builds with Hardware Raytracing on, crash when started.

1 Like

So where is the Mutable Content that was mentioned in the Seattle video?

I’m wondering if there’s plans on fixing the right click menu bug on KDE Plasma (At least on Wayland, although I did have some luck replicating this issue on the Steam Deck running X11). I can’t type anything into the search bar on the right click menu in either Blueprints or the Material Editor.

How do we enable displacement on nanite skeletal meshes as seen in the presentation? Or is this really just WPO on a very high poly mesh? The presenter called it displacement, I can’t seem to enable it for skeletal meshes though it works for static.

Edit - Texture samplers appear to be bugged for it, a noise node works though, even the texture based ones. Very strange.

Btw, there’s “custom timestep” class in Settings, which gives full control over it.

This may not be related, but I run on Arch Linux with Cinnamon Desktop, and I found an issue where sometimes the Ctrl key’s internal state (but not the key itself) can get “stuck” and cause me to be unable to type. Tapping the physical key resets the state and all is well. I originally thought this was a UE bug, but I have recently reproduced it in terminal shell and a couple other apps, so I think it’s a Linux HID issue. Hope this helps.

It seems that a Line Trace By Channel Hit is not taken into account by a landscape splineMesh collision anymore.

Bug submission form simply never works :frowning:

Were do we submit the bug for the bug submission process?

Update:
went through it a second time and finally it went through. CAN WE PLEASE GET SOMEONES EYES ON VR DYNAMIC SHADOW CASTING BEFORE 5.5 RELEASES? ITS BEEN BROKEN SINCE 5.4.0
UE5.4 (and 5.4.1) shadows are broken in VR (VR Template, default settings) - General / Issues and Bug Reporting - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

3 Likes