Unreal Engine 5.4 Released

anyone else having issues with metahumans in 5.4 mine are all coming in bald. either binding assets are broke or groom.

1 Like

Any news on this? I’m still getting it randomly… :expressionless:

1 Like

Check my own reply to that post a couple posts up…its at least a fix for now for moving forward using UE5.4.1

1 Like

I will try this also, but I have the feeling that changing almost anything will fix the problem because it causes the system to reload. But may not be the ‘final’ solution… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Something is wrong with Common UI in 5.4.1. I cannot edit the Visibility property in CommonActionWidget.
I got this issue in the Cropout sample project. It works fine in 5.3.

1 Like

Hi @Amanda.Schade @Matthew.Ivey ,

nanite

Please, make Ray Traced shadows usable (at least, even if not fully compatible) with Nanite. Even if using Nanite Mode 1, shadows will show spot areas/triangles over distance (from 5 or 10 meters in advance). Very similar will also happen when not using Nanite, but when using LODs, in some of the LODs distances. In addition, foliage WPO is not compatible with RT shadows if Nanite is enabled.

And please, improve Virtual ShadowMaps. In many cases, they are less performant than RT shadows and, in addition, they are super noisy in movement (for example, in a dark interior, with a light behind a slow spinning fan -if faster it’s much worse-).

Conclusion: how to use high quality shadows? We can’t use RT shadows unless you don’t use Nanite and force all LODs to Zero… And we can’t use Virtual Shadowmaps as they are not that “high quality” and are super noisy unless your project is totally static and quite light (not dark).

Thanks!

2 Likes

I caught older Oodle making my 2k texture being set as 64x64. So I updated all to 2.9.12 and it fixed it.

3 Likes

Ah… interesting… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did manage to submit a bug report for this a number of days ago…as this is probably a very minor issue, I still hope Epic see’s the issue and provides a fix for the next update…so those of us experiencing the issue don’t have to scramble to fix it ourselves

I suggest anyone having this issue should submit a bug report to get it on Epic’s radar

3 Likes

I have this every day now… :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah it’s already June. It’s time for some fixes and the Motion Matching sample. I left the Unity engine after 10 years because their engine was always adding new features that never worked and almost never got updated. When I left Unity was really unstable. I have no desire to waste another 10 years of my life supporting a broken engine. We really should be seeing Weekly updates for fixes.

4 Likes

For me, problems range from slowness all across the editor. Editing shaders/materials and even material instances has become a major chore. Waiting an extremely long time after clicking the save button on material instances and master materials is a headache.

There are a number of slowdowns in the editor even with a clean or fresh install, new project, etc…

I heard on a livestream that 5.4.2 is in the works, hopefully it addresses the slow downs and endless shader compilation issues, the issues with packaging projects, etc… There also seems to be issues with duplicating materials in the content browser which causes a crash for me every single time I try.
EDIT: Duplicating isn’t the problem, the material itself was the problem. It failed an assertion in the D3D12Util.cpp… I can’t fix the material so now it needs to be rebuilt…

As 5.4 currently stands, the bad outweighs the good. I’ve been able to mitigate some issues by monitoring the UE5 repo and merging certain fixes or making changes myself. That’s far from ideal.

4 Likes

UPDATE!

The 5.4.2 Hotfix is available with dozens of fixes for Unreal Engine 5.4.

Issue Summary
UE-196605 [CrashReport]UnrealEditor-Engine!FSubsystemCollectionBase::Deinitialize() [SubsystemCollection.cpp:205]
UE-213543 Investigate Crash in UPCGComponent::UpdateDynamicTracking
UE-213979 [CrashReport] UnrealEditor-AssetRegistry!FPathTree::RemovePath(FName,TFunctionRef) [PathTree.cpp:96]
UE-213984 [CrashReport] UnrealEditor-Engine!FSubsystemCollectionBase::Deinitialize() [SubsystemCollection.cpp:200]
UE-185145 Stereo output on Oculus Quest is distorted
UE-213896 5.4.2 - Hotfix Candidate - Distance Field Mesh not generated after modeling geometry
UE-213740 Editor tries to rebuild hierarchy after saving and closing - 5.4.2
UE-210762 Ensure when opening Cloth Asset
UE-210469 Pixel Streaming blueprint components running unnecessarily even when unused in scene
UE-206996 Water is not rendering properly on MRQ output
UE-207611 Force Deleting a Level Snapshot with Sub-Levels causes an editor crash
UE-204520 FBaseAssetToolkit leaks raw pointer resulting in FSubsystemCollectionBase crash
UE-211765 Migrating Open World level to another project crashes editor.
UE-211468 Mac - Content Example - MetalRHI Mismatched Texture Type Ensure when launching Content Example project
UE-212099 Take Recorder - Viewport Freezing and Performance Degradation When Recording Without Subsequences
UE-212063 Implement fix and re-enable explicit bounds for hierarchical instance culling
UE-211801 [Crash Report] UnrealEditor-Renderer!TShaderRefBase<FHWRasterizeMS,FShaderMapPointerTable>::GetMeshShader() [Shader.h:1091]
UE-211421 Disabled particles can take several seconds to disappear in CVD
UE-213956 Change GetMaterial to GetMaterial_Concurrent
UE-213957 Prevent UObject access in HeterogeneousVolumeComponent’s PrimitiveSceneProxy
UE-213959 Heterogeneous Volume shadows flicker with Directional Light
UE-210908 GitHub 11693 : Prevent IOpenXRExtensionPlugins from being added multiple times
UE-213509 Cloth Asset - BucklingRatio has no effect when changed on the SimulationBendingConfig node when using PBD HingeAngles
UE-213501 Cloth Asset - Broken skinning on USD imported render meshes
UE-213414 Building UnrealGameSync with Installer/Build.bat fails due to missing UnrealGameSyncLauncher
UE-213275 Crash editor when raytracing is enabled and enter kanji characters into TextRenderActor
UE-213265 GAS: Local FPredictionKeys can be stomped by a Server Initiated PredictionKey with the same value
UE-213089 Crash when you enter a sample range and convert selected asset to BranchIn Notify inside the MM Editor window
UE-213250 Switching between play / simulate in vcam can cause editor to crash.
UE-213350 Remote Control Property ID not Working with Rundown Tool
UE-213569 Crash on running Geometry Script CopyCollisionMeshesFromObject method
UE-213478 Subversion (SVN) consistently fails to connect on 5.4 and later
UE-213564 Hot fix for Ease curve tool not reading key values on save/load
UE-214138 Incorrect Velocity Calcuation for Inertialization AnimNode
UE-214412 Control Rig - Connecting a Name array variable to select node crashes the editor
UE-213571 Created static particles can take several seconds to appear in CVD
UE-213635 Audio fade no longer works
UE-213625 Solidworks Datasmith Exporter Installer fails to completes on installation with Solidworks 2024
UE-213520 Spline workflows broken because construction script does not rerun when spline is edited
UE-213410 Offset Root Bone doesn’t copy pinned values
UE-213603 UE5.4 - Windows - RHI Validation Failed for WaterInfoTexture_8 and 9
UE-213346 PPM Chain Graphs Issue with packaged builds.
UE-213882 Texture readback node can trigger loads of RenderDoc captures when running UE with RD attached
UE-212814 Layered Control Rigs: Constraining IK hand to a baked cube is not working…
UE-212941 Looping subframe sequences don’t loop
UE-211986 ToString() from a StringTable entry now returns
UE-211963 DMX - Individual search field for patches can’t be reverted and are breaking the UI
UE-213413 [5.4.2] Ensure occurs when changing a State Tree Parameter to type string.
UE-213406 Unnecessary warning LogChaosCloth: Warning: Invalid pattern data. Num pattern indices 0 != Num welded indices… for all SKM cloth
UE-213555 (5.4.2) Subtrees with Enter Conditions will not execute
UE-213813 Pull down lists in Composure fail. Not able to make a comp with any transform passes.
UE-213668 [PCG - 5.4.2] The Static Mesh Spawner node does not set the bounds correctly when run in a reuse case
UE-213689 Crash processing Assets in UAvaFontManagerSubsystem::OnAssetsAdded
UE-214147 Retargeter freezes after editing retarget pose
UE-214145 Fix crash when IK Retargeting old animation (prior to 5.0)
UE-214224 Disable reporting scope for StallDetector
UE-214150 Chaos Cache: playing a destruction cache overrides the kinematic dynamic state set by the cache adapter
UE-214114 [PCG] SplitPoints node breaks metadata on application (5.4)
UE-214094 Material Designer Crash with Blend Mode Change
UE-214270 Editor GPU crashes do not include GPU breadcrumbs in crash report
UE-214290 Cloth Asset fails to load correctly in editor
UE-214837 Deformer graph anim attribute node does not react to details panel changes, including name change and pin addition
UE-215583 [5.4.2] Crash in Edit Materials tool when changing brush size
UE-215584 [5.4.2] Paint Maps: Crash trying to change brush radius
UE-214663 Render Indirect Capsule Shadows + Lumen HWRT artifact
UE-214332 Serialized Blueprints containing MIDs do not load correctly in packages.
UE-214293 Cloner updating material property on attached actor should update preview
UE-214539 [CrashReport][Crash] UnrealEditor-Engine!IWorldPartitionActorLoaderInterface::ILoaderAdapter::IsLoaded() [Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/WorldPartition/WorldPartitionActorLoaderInterface.cpp:98]
UE-214607 OnComponentHit events not dispatched on dedicated server with UE 5.4.1
UE-214485 [CrashReport] UnrealEditor-D3D12RHI!FD3D12DynamicRHI::LockBuffer(FRHICommandListBase &,FD3D12Buffer *,unsigned int,EBufferUsageFlags,unsigned int,unsigned int,EResourceLockMode) [Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D1…
UE-214736 [CrashReport][Crash] UnrealEditor-WorldPartitionEditor!static void GatherLoadedActorsBounds(class TArray<FBoundsWithVolume,TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> > & const, const class FWorldPartitionActorDescInstance *, const class UActorDes…
UE-214209 [PCG] Tag parsing in the level to asset export does not work for non-boolean types (5.4)
UE-213744 Stabilize Undo in Modular Control Rig - 5.4.2
UE-213735 Renaming modules affects other modules not related - 5.4.2
UE-213788 Static Analysis is incorrectly not run when building for -SingleFile
UE-213681 Ensure condition failed: !GIsTransacting ScopedTransaction.cpp ensure when undo/redo of copy/pasting of binding
UE-213972 [PCG - 5.4.2] Copy Attribute on Points is not working when copying an attribute into another
UE-194931 CitySample - When Crumpling the Hood of a Car the Hood Clips into the Engine Block
UE-213910 Cook error (Content is missing from cook) raised when cooking deep blueprint hierarchy
11 Likes

Glad that the spline fix made it in so fast, thank you.

3 Likes

All I got after the update was this
error

1 Like

hi @OGSWG on the download page click options select verify and wait for completing
restart Pc
then click launch from inside launch

1 Like

Hi @Amanda.Schade,

I submitted a bug report via the form with case number #02205825, I usually get a prompt follow up to these but never got one, could you please poke somebody :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thax for these hotfixes, we expected more hotfixes in previous 5.3 version but did not get them.

1 Like

All my widgets are broken in runtime hoping the engine just needs to be recompiled again anyone else seen this they load white and green squares.

1 Like

Appears there is issue with Static Lighting and Forward Rendering in 5.4.2, enabling both results in a crash:

Shader FRenderSkyAtmospherePS, permutation 315 has unbound parameters not represented in the parameter struct:

1 Like