Unreal Engine 5.4 Released

@Amanda.Schade Any news on when the Motion Matching sample will be released??

4 Likes

content browser bug reported still not fixed in the hotfix. Undock your content browser put it on a second monitor and dock it to another window > close editor > content browser will undock and be under the editor in the center of the main monitor.

Did you put to the level as Actor foliage or Static mesh foliage?

When I place the tree as a standalone static mesh in my map, everything is fine. However, when I put the static mesh into the foliage painter and paint it as an instance, it stutters. So, the answer is, I put the static mesh into the foliage, not as an actor. All other UE versions, except for UE 5.4, experience no stuttering at all.

1 Like

5.4.0 is like a disaster scene, creating lights and crashing, moving objects and starting engines crashing. . . After the repair patch of 5.4.1 came out, I thought it would be more stable. No, no, no, the reality slapped me in the face. The crash frequency was higher than that of 5.4.0. . . Did you really think carefully about it when releasing this version?

I meant this:

From what I remember, one uses HISM (one object), so that shader shouldn’t work. Second should work. I originally thought that someone from Epic would help you with this (so i deleted previuous comment), so that the questions would not be repeated and the forum would not be so dead, crowded and unclear, but apparently not.

I found it in documentation. But in UE i practically never used it in terms of optimization, but it should still work. It shouldn’t have much impact on a small project, if you do not have thousands of trees.
Documentation

“Static Meshes placed with Foliage Edit Mode are automatically grouped together into batches that are rendered using hardware instancing, where many instances can be rendered with only a single draw call, while Actor Foliage comes at the same rendering cost as placing normal Actors into a scene.”

1 Like

Hello Everyone. I am new to UE5.
One curious thing I would like to ask EPIC GAMES STAFF…
When we are downloading using the EPIC GAMES LAUNCHER, there is a progress indicator and speed of the download…
Could we also get an indication of how long the download will take at the current transfer rate?
Thanks, lot’s of love for everyone here. Take care. :slight_smile: :alien:

I get holes in trees that use nanite. Doesn’t matter if it’s a fresh project, old, etc… These holes persist. These holes are not present in 5.3.

Went into the cluster debug view and found that the clusters for those gaps were being removed for some reason. Not sure what’s going on.

UPDATE:
Narrowed the issue down to a problem with masked materials and nanite in 5.4. Hopefully this is fixed in 5.4.2.

Applying an opaque material fixed this issue. But on surfaces that must have masked materials, geometry just disappears and reappears at random.

UPDATE 2:
Found a fix. Just merged this commit into my fork: Fix for missing masked material triangles in multi-material clusters · EpicGames/UnrealEngine@53e0e97 (github.com)

1 Like

In VR in UE5.4.1 large shadows are turned into gigantic Black Blobs. Also the VR Hands sometimes just vanish…

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m running Unreal 5.4.1 WINDOWS from source today, I improved editor performance by disabling Studio Telemetry, UDP and TCP messaging plugins, however, I still note that in editor I have lost 20fps from a 60fps scene and that my packaged performance is terrible. I have my game heavily optimised it has been from the start, I’ve been diligent about performance, measuring and finely balancing thread impacts as I go. Another example: where I was getting 70-90 fps in my open world with 5.3.2, now I get only 30~ fps. The thing to note here as well is that this is the frame rate when looking at the entire scene and when looking at the sky. As a test whenever looking at the sky I’ve always got 120 fps in previous engine versions. I can see from looking at the forums that this seems to be an issue being reported on Mac, Linux and Windows. Can we get some guidance please on a fix, wasn’t Unreal 5.4 supposed to be faster? Also to note, to install 5.4.1 I had to remove the latest MSVC toolchain from Visual Studio, which I eventually find is marked as banned by Epic, (had to dig to find this info which I felt needs to be published in more places), that then I found out that doing that had corrupted my Unreal 5.3.2 engine. I also now can’t rebuild even from a fresh source of 5.3.2 today, I get 10K errors.

4 Likes

In 5.4.1 this appears to be resolved.

Distance field indirect shadows don’t seem to be working under 5.4. Can anyone confirm this ? I can easily get them showing in 5.3.

Same open world map in 5.3 I was getting 70-80FPS and looking at the sky I get more, now I get 30 FPS regardless where I’m looking, the funny thing is I still get 30 FPS even when shaders are being compiled so something is definitely weird.

Edit: my performance issues seem to be related to the foliage actor.
Edit2: I got my performance back by setting r.RayTracing to false in DefaultEngine.ini. I don’t have hardware ray tracing enabled but hey, works for me.

2 Likes

Hey Kai, yeah, something fishy going on here for sure and thank you for the supporting report. In my open world all foliage is PCG, I use that same PCG graph to place imposter actors without a world position offset that are culled early compared to visual companions, these act as non-moving shadow generators. This worked very well and my entire scene was incredibly performant using that and some other tricks in previous UE5 versions. I of course, have watched closely the development around RHI parallelization and multi threading and was very excited to see my hard work taken to the next stage with engine improvements.

Saddened to see that this is not immediately the case and hopeful the team at Epic can get in there quickly with a fix for this issue which seems to be based on lights.

It did make a lot of sense when you mentioned setting ray tracing, despite already having Hardware Ray Tracing set as Off in the project settings, was a fix for you, as I know there were updates to Lumen. I do believe this is something to do with moving lights and dynamic shadows.

As an example, I have a 2-4 player deathmatch level, military base, at night, full weather effects. Each building fully lit. In 5.3 2 I was getting 60-90 fps, same place in 5.4 I was getting 19 fps packaged. I turned off dynamic shadows (i’m not using any static) on the building interior and exterior lights in 5.4 and I was back up to just around 50 fps which is crazy considering this level had a lot of dynamically shadowing lights which I have had to completely disable from doing so to accomplish this. (I also use a custom c++ light which is additionally culled and uses decal projection at range, so my lights were super performant at the start). In my open world, I’m using a normal lighting system, again the same problem :frowning:

1 Like

After upgrade from 5.3.2 to 5.4.1

has C++ errors:

MW2Editor modifies the values of properties: [ bStrictConformanceMode ]. This is not allowed, as MW2Editor has build products in common with UnrealEditor.
Remove the modified setting, change MW2Editor to use a unique build environment by setting 'BuildEnvironment = TargetBuildEnvironment.Unique;' in the MW2EditorTarget constructor, or set bOverrideBuildEnvironment = true to force this setting on.

Why did this error occur after updating to 5.4.1 and how to fix it?

@Manking-1

I had the same issue when I was testing 5.4 preview 1.

Here is my post with the solution.

2 Likes

After updating the project from version 5.3.2 to version 5.4.1, Local Height Fog disappeared from all levels.
Now there is a new type of fog, Local Fog Volume, which disappears at close range.

r.LocalFogVolume.GlobalStartDistance=2 does not work in version 5.4.1. The fog is still not visible closer than 1000.

If you create a new project, then the fog works nearby. But how can you configure the new fog in old projects that have been updated to version 5.4.1?

1 Like

Can someone please tell me how to change the landscape HLOD build quality changing the screensize on the landscape no longer works it seems to just use some default settings.

Shadows on water are displayed in pixels. But on the landscape and under water they are soft and blurry. Is there a way to fix this, or is this a bug (5.4.1)?

1 Like

FIXED FOR ME: Disabled Studio Telemetry plugin, UDP Messaging / TCP Messaging. That improves editor lag, then for game performance, use the settings below.

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
;Transluceny has big cost when raining reducing here to half res is acceptable
r.SeparateTranslucencyScreenPercentage=66
r.ReflectionMethod=2
r.GenerateMeshDistanceFields=True
r.DynamicGlobalIlluminationMethod=1
r.Shadow.Virtual.Enable=1
r.SkinCache.CompileShaders=True
r.RayTracing=False
r.Shadow.UnbuiltPreviewInGame=False
r.AllowStaticLighting=False
r.VirtualTextures=True
r.VirtualTexturedLightmaps=False
r.Lumen.TraceMeshSDFs=0
r.Shadow.CSMCaching=True
r.ReflectionCaptureResolution=64
r.AntiAliasingMethod=4
r.MSAACount=4
r.Mobile.EnableStaticAndCSMShadowReceivers=False
r.Mobile.EnableStaticAndCSMShadowReceivers=False
r.CustomDepth=3
r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure.ExtendDefaultLuminanceRange=True
r.GPUSkin.Support16BitBoneIndex=True
r.GPUSkin.UnlimitedBoneInfluences=True
r.SkinCache.DefaultBehavior=0
SkeletalMesh.UseExperimentalChunking=1
r.Nanite.ProjectEnabled=True
bEnableVirtualTextureOpacityMask=True
r.Water.SingleLayer.DepthPrepass=True
r.Water.SingleLayer.ShadersSupportVSMFiltering=True
r.Water.SingleLayer.VSMFiltering=True
r.Lumen.SampleFog=0
r.Lumen.Reflections.Contrast=0.75
r.VolumetricFog.Emissive=0
r.optimizedWPO=1
r.Nanite.MaxVisibleClusters=10485760
r.Nanite.MaxCandidateClusters=16777216
r.Nanite.MaxNodes=10485760
r.Nanite.RasterIndirectionMultiplier=1.1
r.Shadow.Virtual.TranslucentQuality=1
r.Lumen.HardwareRayTracing=False
r.RayTracing.Culling=3
r.RayTracing.Culling.Radius=10000
r.RayTracing.Culling.Angle=2
r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraRibbons=0
r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraSprites=0
r.RayTracing.Geometry.NiagaraMeshes=0
r.TSR.History.SampleCount=32
r.TSR.ShadingRejection.Flickering.FrameRateCap=30
r.TSR.ShadingRejection.Flickering.MaxParralaxVelocity=2
r.TSR.ShadingRejection.Flickering.Period=3
r.SupportStationarySkylight=False
r.SupportLowQualityLightmaps=False
r.Mobile.AllowDistanceFieldShadows=False
r.DefaultBackBufferPixelFormat=4
r.GBufferFormat=3
r.Substrate.AccurateSRGB=1
r.Substrate=False
r.Substrate.BytesPerPixel=170;
r.Nanite.AllowTessellation=1
r.Nanite.Tessellation=1
r.PathTracing=False
r.Shadow.Virtual.UseFarShadowCulling=0
r.Shadow.Virtual.NonNanite.IncludeInCoarsePages=0
r.Lumen.Reflections.HardwareRayTracing.Translucent.Refraction.EnableForProject=False
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.DefaultFeature.AmbientOcclusionStaticFraction=False
r.SupportLocalFogVolumes=False
r.SupportSkyAtmosphereAffectsHeightFog=False
r.SeparateTranslucency=False

1 Like