Unreal Engine 5.3 Released

Project crashes in 5.3 with: Assertion failed: NumNewPins == InNewPins.Num() [\Engine\Source\Editor\BlueprintGraph\Private\K2Node.cpp] [Line: 1352]

Loads fine in 5.2.

Is this in the 5.3 release? How do we use it? I attempted to test this in the preview but didn’t have any success getting terrains larger than total resolution 32641x32641.

2 Likes

Found the offending blueprint, previous versions dating back years and multiple engine versions still trigger the error. Something is wrong with how 5.3 handles this.

Is anyone else seeing really strange behavior in standalone starting with 5.3? From 5.2 on back, running my game in standalone nets me greater performance than in PIE-new window (same resolution and scalability settings, but the separate thread frees up the game thread substantially). Starting in 5.3 I get CATASTROPHIC frame rate crashes (70+FPS down to below 20) if I start walking around. Some minor isolation testing shows that this is (a) game thread bound (not render thread) and (b) tied to my locomotion state machine (if I bypass that state machine in the animgraph of my main character’s AnimBP, the framerate is normal; it also jumps back up to normal if a montage is playing in a slot which overrides evaluation of the state machine).

It’s like 5.3 is totally crapping the bed trying to process state machine transitions or something, but I can’t figure out why that should be, and why it should only be the case when talking about standalone, where PIE works perfectly fine.

6 Likes

Epic, The experts, The nerd programmers, The gods of coding, The scents behind profiling logic. I ask for your glorious help to check my issue here which i have been stuck from like 20 days

I can’t package plugin. Today, I migrated the plugin from UE5.1 to 5.3 and then this happened. With UE5.1 there is no problem like this. I’ve also tried packing blank plugins no code and no blueprint with a new project and it keeps happening. In my visual studio compiled have been succeed

what game is it

1 Like

And there will be more, when adding new features, with new issues, without fixing the previous issues of older features :exploding_head:

1 Like

So on pressing play both editor and external build of my basic FPS project shuts down. I am talking about FPS template all the way from ue4 + UDS sky + few blueprints for lights and door in some test levels with assets that I am building. Worked ultra stable in 5.2.1 and now just shuts down on play… unless it doesn’t on few ocasions, because reasons.

You as a company forgot that you are in game engine business not in some pretty screenshots and tech demos business. Stability and performance are the most important thing. Something as basic like my project with some asset test levels with zero gameplay has no right to crash. 5.3 for me is unusable trash and considering how basic project I have right now this is beyond a joke.

How am I supposed to figure out now how to solve this? I noticed entire thing is RNG. I can reopen editor with camera in the same place, press play (that plays in spot camera is in) and sometimes it will crash, sometimes it will not. When not then there is good several second pause when engine thinks about something.

Edit: Alright, found the culprit. It is caused by a lantern child BP that has another two meshes + physics constraint so it blows on the wind. Purpose of that was so I can reuse same light blinking/moving BP and be able to change handles for different variations. This causes physics to give error. The parent BP does not have simulate physics, child BP has them on, maybe its that:

LogOutputDevice: Error: === Handled ensure: ===
LogOutputDevice: Error: Ensure condition failed: false [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Private\Chaos\Collision\ParticlePairMidPhase.cpp] [Line: 983]
LogOutputDevice: Error: Stack:
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa3696083 UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa368655d UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa368dc9c UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa3982612 UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa396d47f UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa378882c UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa378fb62 UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffaa37985b4 UnrealEditor-Chaos.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab5e48cd5 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab5e48a7c UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab5e280e2 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab5e708c2 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab5e38b60 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab601f773 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab6454e22 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffab6448657 UnrealEditor-Core.dll!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffb407d7614 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction
LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffb40da26b1 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction

Additionally bug in this line:
[File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Experimental\Chaos\Private\Chaos\CollisionResolution.cpp] [Line: 1664]

2 Likes

When playing a sound wav with the Play node the sound is damaged - worked in 5.2.

ps. reported as bug

Hi! Does anyone know if skip assigning gamepad to player 1 has been fixed in 5.3 ?

Same (from 56 to 30 with virtual shadow maps to medium and reflection + gi to high) on hd res. It didn’t work for me, I tried it 4 times in preview, now 3 times in 5.3.0 and still the same. I rather uninstalled it

I think many comments about “too fast, many broken stuff” here probably didn’t experience the same fast pace development during the early UE4 versioning as well since it was behind a pay wall(20USD/month).

IMO, it’s a lot more stable and less traps than early UE4 versions. I still remember you could make some wrong changes to blueprint and the project won’t be able to open again. (no backups or version control, welp, sucks to be you. ) And you can disable many experimental features since they are almost all plugins now.

2 Likes

I was kind of hoping it would be fixed in 5.3, but DistanceToNearestSurface materials are still broken. Last I had checked, I think it was slated to be fixed in 5.3, but now I’m seeing they’ve pushed it back to 5.4: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-150397)

1 Like

hi @Amanda.Schade
I found this about UEFN plugin

f you’re interested in a preview, you can check out the Alpha version of Fab as a plugin for UEFN today

From
Announcing Fab, an Evolution of the Unreal Engine Marketplace - Community / Marketplace - Epic Developer Community Forums
The Fab Plugin is by default in a project in 5.4 (UE5-main). If I take the
“CropoutSampleProject 5.4” and open it in 5.3
The message that Fab plugin is missing comes up
When you look-in Project plug Fab you can see it in My 5.4 binary

You cannot see the Fab plugin in any 5.3 version binary/source.

Only reason I used to update asap was for bugfixes, except now more is broken than fixed. LTS people!

1 Like

Generally, people, if something is broken in Unreal, file a bug report instead of leaving a comment. It is super streamlined and provides the devs LOADS of information about your issue, compared to just a “___ doesn’t work” that doesn’t provide any groundwork for the why or how of the issue. :+1:

1 Like

The only problem with this is that bugs don’t get fixed for years, the fixes are postponed again and again… so you have for example bugs reported in 5.0 that might get fixed in 5.4 or 5.5 or 5.6 and so on… and anyone reporting bugs in 5.3 now might get the fix in 5.8 or 5.10 whenever those happen. And so on. It is an endless flood of bugs again and again.
And that is the reason why an LTS version is absolutely needed.

5 Likes

Wow, so many code changes out of nowhere though. The slate codebase seems to have changed a ton, so all my classes extended from slate classes are super broken. That’s gonna be fun to try to fix. The release notes don’t seem to mention a whole lot about that.

OK, I see what the problem is. This broke a lot of things: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/f4c1a0307ca9900606d2741a4fb063681b309d57

Some properties that were protected are no longer exposed so my module that relied on extending some slate widgets was accessing protected properties, and now I can’t in 5.3. I’d have to make my fork of UE 5.3 export the things I need just to get at those things. I generally try to avoid unnecessary engine changes, but my entire game’s UI is not even able to compile due to this.