Unreal Engine 5.1 keeps crashing constantly on my machine. Is there a fix?

Hello,

As stated in the title Unreal Engine 5.1 keeps crashing on almost every action inside the engine like even deleting actors or empty materials from the content browser.

The error it gives reads: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x000001490a4805d0
Here are screenshots of the crash error message that I get:

Please, help!

3 Likes

This error message is indicating that the Unreal Engine is encountering an access violation, which is a type of memory error. This can be caused by a number of factors, including:

• Outdated or incorrect graphics card drivers
  • Insufficient system resources
  • Corrupted or missing Unreal Engine files
  • Conflicts with other software installed on your system

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

• Update your graphics card drivers to the latest version.
  • Close any unnecessary applications running on your system to free up resources.
  • Verify the integrity of your Unreal Engine installation using the Epic Games Launcher.
  • Uninstall any conflicting software that may be causing the issue.

If the problem persists, you may need to reinstall Unreal Engine.

1 Like

Hey did you figure this out?? I’ve tried rolling back my driver, updating drivers, verifying files, the anti aliasing line, trying 5.0, updating plugins… I dont know what else to do. Even a brand new project just instantly crashes to desktop with this specific error.

3 Likes

did you found any solutions, been learning unreal through school but it keeps crashing with the error above , sometimes it’s running for hours, and its possible to just keep working but other times it’s not possible to do anything at all

1 Like

Any solutions guys? I installed both 5.0.3, 5.1.1 and 5.2.0 and still keeps crashing, even if the project is empty :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Turn off MFAA in Nvidia control panel. fixed mine.

2 Likes

Mine is already turned off

1 Like

Thank you soo much you just saved me for starting my dream game in unity

Same for Me, Did you found any solution to this?

Hello! I ran into a similar issue when creating and running a test project in UE 5.2.1
My system: AORUS 15 XE4 (laptop). Intel Core i7 12700H, 32GB, 1TB SSD M.2, Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8GB.

The following steps helped me:

1. Clean installation of the newest Nvidia driver (Studio ver.)
  2. Clean installation of the newest Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics card driver
  3. Disabling the in-game overlay in the Nvidia Experience settings
  4. Disabling “Switch OSD” in Gigabyte Control Center settings (important) and creating profile for UE executable file (UnrealEditor.exe) in setup of NVIDIA Control Panel, with the following mandatory tweaks →
  5. MFAA - Off (important)
  6. Streaming optimization - Auto
  7. Low Latency Mode - Off (important)
  8. FXAA - Off (important)
  9. Triple Buffering - On (important)

I hope, this helps those, who want to work with the new version of the engine, on a laptop with NVIDIA OPTIMUS technology and new generations of hybrid CPU architecture.

2 Likes

Try disabling autosave and downgrading settings to use DX11

Hi! I’m having the same issue. For me, it worked to go to Epic Games Launcher - Library - and select the project from there, it will work without crashing.

Have you found a solution yet? I’ve tried numerous fixes, but even a new project crashes to the desktop with this error

Do you have the same error? What errors do you receive and what hardware does your system run?

Mine used to crash all the time. I thought I’d have to update my PC as it’s low spec. But updating my GPU drivers and updating to the latest version of UE, helped a lot. Since then the excessive crashing stopped and I can now get on with being creative. Also setting the engine setting to low or medium helped too

The only thing that helped was disabling FreeSync on my monitor.

hey guys, one thing to note when deleting or moving entities from the content browser is unreal engine will not be happy if that entity had references or redirects for that file and you didnt delete the redirects too so just something to be aware of…gave me a lot of issues especially when moving objects around. Something thats so reliable and simple in IDEs like intellij isnt in unreal engine. Moving stuff around to restructure can cause a lot of crashes and complaints

1 Like

I could not open my game after it hit 95% loaded, it crashed. Same happened for another game. It sure didn’t feel like a graphics or setting issue. I was using a lot of the assets in the third person folder as a starting point. I moved everything I was using out, and tried deleting the folder. It didn’t crash right of way, but I couldn’t reopen the game later. I deleted the third person folder from my hard drive, and the game opened! This mean, at least in 5.3, moving or deleting files is very risky. I’m an amateur , so maybe there’s a right way. But that warning that deleting said file might mess up stuff is a good warning, because it can cause major issues! So if you tried to delete something the last time you were editing, check the folder on windows, delete it there.

Did you find any solution? I am facing the same problem!

Did you find any solution yet? I am having the same problem!