Unreal Engine 5.1 Crashes and Glitches Screen after 10 minutes of usage

Hello everyone!

My name is salutcf, I am an indie game dev, and I am experiencing an issue with Unreal Engine 5.1.1.

After some time of using Unreal Engine, it developed an issue where after 5-10 minutes, it will glitch the screen (like this

) and Windows takes protection and kills the GPU causing this Crash Log:

Fatal error: [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Util.cpp] [Line: 868] PresentInternal(SyncInterval) failed at D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:639 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_RHI
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Waiting for the beautiful help!

Cheers,
salutcf

Hey there @salutProductions! Welcome to the community! Looks like you’re having some graphical crashing. This could be due to DX12/SM6 pushing your GPU too hard, but it can also stem from your environment or graphical configuration. This thread here has a ton of possible workarounds/fixes for this depending on your project all the way down.

And what I ask first for all issues like this is:
May I know your specs?

Hi! Thanks for reaching out!

My Specs are:

NVIDIA RTX 3050 TI

Intel I5-11400H

8GB RAM

SSD 512GB

(and in case of screen, Main Monitor 144hz and 2nd Monitor 60hz)

Thanks for the specs! Have you given any of the solutions in that thread a try?

I have tried multiple of those, including setting DX12 to DX11 (and in the Preferences) in DefaultEngine.ini, adding TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay into the regedit, and more.

Understandable! One of the most common fixes to this specific style of crash is usually reinstalling the latest GPU drivers and resetting the settings. In your case, defaulting the Nvidia settings would usually do it. Assuming you already did that let’s see…

It still crashes on DX11? That’s not good, most of these issues stem from DX12/SM6 and some specific driver sets.

Is it possible to try reverting back to an earlier, studio driver version? Worst case it can be as bad as Graeme’s environment where he had to custom install the drivers without the Geforce experience portion.

So I updated the drivers, and the thing SLIGHLTY changed. The glitch did happen again, but after about 30 minutes of use, and Windows did not kill the GPU, so Unreal stayed open.

I think it’s ok for now, but if something happens again, I’ll either start another topic, or update on here.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
salutcf

Great! That’s a start at least, some users have had to revert to decently earlier versions, wipe (in case of corruption), or even swap to a custom install. If it continues, these options might be more viable. I’ll leave this thread open if that time comes!

So you were right, It did eventually come back. But what I did is disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling from on to off and then I disabled the Real-time Thumbnails in the Content Browser Settings. This seemed to chill it out and make the engine stable.

Fantastic work! I’d also recommend changing your anti-aliasing type away from Temporal as well, at least when working in engine, you’re likely fine to reenable it. This should allow you even more headway in the meantime!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.