Unreal Engine 5.0 Preview

A 2060 isn’t good enough? I haven’t done any programming work with UE5, but last tests I ran, Lumen’s performance was scalable enough to provide good results across the board in GPUs. It depends on resolution and settings, but if one is using the global distance field setting along with the irradiance field gather method, I’ve found it generally performs extremely robustly.

Do you have the new physically-based atmosphere system enabled? I’ve found that absolutely tanks performance and increases volitility, but by and large it works well for me.

I agree, Lumen in particular is an amazing system built for more hardware than many have currently available. If everyone had access to an RTX card, then development could continue less impeded, but the performance envelope for higher-end machines is so much bigger than lower-end ones. Upgrading is so expensive, that I can see how development of these systems is quite challenging.

This is really a giant step back in terms of usability:

There are no longer dedicated type-specific math operators in BP. While the idea of universal math operators isn’t bad, the execution is.

1. You can no longer just multiply vector by float by searching for the operation. You have to find the “wrong” node, then clumsily delve deep into second level context menu, and select the type.

2. If you connect the output of this modified node into something before modifying the value of the modified type socket, it will reset back to the original type. If you want that value to be the same as default (0), then you are screwed and have to do it the other way around by trial and error.

This is definitely not on par with the UE UX standards. It’s going to damage BP workflow productivity for many of us. It seems like a minor thing until you realize how extremely often one uses the basic math when authoring blueprints.

5 Likes

I Hope Epic Release Matrix Awakens Assets in MarketPlace as Gift for upcoming GDC 2022

1 Like

I think so, they probably won’t include characters like Neo, Trinity, and so the whole chasing sequence might be cut out due to licensing. But that playable character and the whole generated city could be non-issue.

Well, at least I hope. I also wonder if there will be some new dedicated tools that were used in the demo included.

1 Like

Weird depth of field artefacts. Pixelated and jpg artefact like. I tried pretty much every console command and quality setting I could think of/find.

It doesnt matter what AA method I’m using. Looks the same even rendering with a lot of samples without AA in the movie render queue.

Also objects are not getting blurred correctly in the transition area.

Pretty sure that worked better in UE4. Anyone having ideas here?

Mhmm :’( It’s sad to notice but at the moment now we are starting to see a problem where we have the software technology readily available which was developed in anticipation of better hardware to come, but now that hardware required to run it never came (well…it actually did come, but it’s just that it will be unnaffordable for probably more than half of the target audience).

A consequence of the chip shortage I guess…so maybe more TSMC’s doing than Epic’s haha :joy::joy:

Thanks Epic Games

Thanks for the UE5.0 release, however in the latest version nanite is not working in my project anymore, would be great if someone could try to fix this. Basically you just need to use the first preview version of UE5.0 to test this. Create a nanite object and then reimport it with the latest version. (That’s what I did) I only get the fallback mesh when nanite is enabled.

Same here, Nanite worked fine in Preview2 now in the 5.0 release its broken, only renders the fallback meshes and also the Nanite debug view doesn’t work.

Same here nanite is broken only proxies render. And virtual shadow maps also not working.
Nanite viewport mode just shows unlit scene. Virtual shadow map viewport mode does the same

looks like nanite works in rhi directx 12 in the 5.0

I can confirm, now only works in DX12, DX11 uses fallback meshes, so is that the expected behavior?

I’m having an issue where my rendered screens through sequencer are extremely pixelated despite using the exact same settings as when I was in UE4. Can’t seem to figure out what’s causing it to happen. It also doesn’t help that they removed the ability to adjust screen percentage from the post processing volume.

1 Like

“Nanite now requires DX12 on Windows. DX11 is no longer supported.”

2 Likes

Thats what I was looking for, thanks :slight_smile:

I have an update on part of this issue. In UE5 final, all rollout menus are searchable, which includes context menus. It’s just that it is hard to spot, because there’s no search box. You just start typing.

This makes switching the node socket type easier:

2 Likes

Please release a video showing how to properly set up Lyra for our EOS account.

1 Like