Unreal Engine 5.0 Preview

Hi, if you on “LIBRARY” tab hit yellow “+” button near Engine Versions you should see “5.0.0 Preview 1” version to select and install (as option in newly appeared engine version icon).

7 Likes

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, that worked. Not intuitive at all. Did I miss that step in the documentation?

Probably not. I expect that it will be update too, but it’s made as separate version.

Yah - it says it but it doesn’t :crazy_face:

Will the final 5.0 release come with a new mannequin that takes advanced of all the new anim tech?

4 Likes

how about Nanite and Lumen on mac?

1 Like

Just a warning to everyone. The 5.0 Preview 1 still has that bug where when you launch engine itself, it doesn’t open the project creation window, but instead opens the last project that was open in 5.0 EA2. So if you are not ready to convert your 5.0 EA2 project to 5.0 Preview 1 for whatever reason, just keep in mind that 5.0 Preview 1 won’t ask you and will just start opening the last opened project straight away, converting it in place.

3 Likes

So i can confirm it’s able open map saved with 4.27 version. Hooray! :smile:

2 Likes

STILL no folders for the foliage tool. What a bummer!

3 Likes

Looks to me like tessellation is in fact fully deprecated here then and we will have to proceed without texture-driven displacement, except for VHFM :confused:

But initially performance feels a bit better right off the bat. Reflection quality also seems a lot better/less buggy :slight_smile:

I will have to dive in deeper in the next couple of days but so far it looks very impressive

1 Like

Great to hear that further work on Vulkan is planned. Is there a good website that I can access for the roadmap? The one I found through Google only goes up to 4.27.

Another thing that I noticed is that the WinDualShock plugin has way more code than the previous UE5 build that is available. Even if it doesn’t work with my DualSense over USB (and probably won’t work over Bluetooth), I’m definitely hoping that the plugin becomes usable down the road without needing libscepad access (Which requires being registered as a PS developer to access). Currently, controller support is in a bit of a dire state at the moment (You could hypothetically use Win RawInput for proper support, although input bindings become messed up depending if you use Bluetooth or not), and I’m having to hack together SteamInput support into my project with a Steamworks plugin in order to get more flexible controller support implemented.

1 Like

Wow… great job! Unreal Engine 5 rocks! :smiley:

Which platforms are supported yet ?
Android and Virtual Reality ?

1 Like

Is there a way to get the old toolbar layout back? This option doesn’t do it.

The new layout feels less intuitive, with all the buttons being crammed into the top left corner. Especially the play button.

Toolbar

9 Likes

YES, very much this <3 This was the first thing I noticed. Drop-down menu for modes is much less intuitive than the EA layout was

1 Like

Great!
Any plans to mix baked lighting with Lumen?

2 Likes

Will Marketplace publishers be able to mark their stuff compatible with this one? Or, especially for plugins, release builds targeted for it?

6 Likes

For some reason, I am getting extremely low quality TAA with lots of shimmer on masked materials. Way worse than 5.0 EA2 or any previous UE version. The TSR works better, but causes really weird glowing fireflies shimmer, and tanks the GPU performance :confused:

It feels as if TAA actually subsampled the resolution or did not work at all.

FXAA straight up looks as if ScreenPercentage was set to 50 instead of 100 O_o.

4 Likes

I agree! I wish there was some update on the status of M1 support

1 Like

It’s interesting, that i was able to open even project and map saved with “5.1 Staging” build (compiled from source). Probably first time, when UE opened map from higher version (at least according to version numbers) :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

It doesn’t, tried it. If you close your right eye, Quixel stuff looks incredible cool, though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes