Unreal Engine 5.0 Preview

Ok, I have FINALLY figured out what causes the foliage to disappear in my case!

The asset pack I have used had “Opacity Mask Clip Value” material property changed. But deviously enough, it was not changed on the material level, which is why I could not figure anything wrong when I was comparing the material properties, but on the material instance override level! :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

It appears that if this value is changed from the default (0.3333) in UE5 Preview versions (UE5 P1 and newer), it behaves very differently compared to UE5 EA2 and UE4. :grimacing:

It also appears that in general, the opacity mask clipping works a bit different to UE5EA2 and earlier. The foliage just seems a bit thinner even at default value. But maybe that’s not necessarily wrong, as it may conserve the mask coverage more accurately now.

1 Like

Thanx heaps!

Hi. Unsing console command HighResShot 4 in PIE the quality is very poor (170 KB) but if I use it in editor/constructor the quality is very high as it should be (7MB in size). Is this a bug or I should change something? I want to make screenshots on runtime.
I use c++ to take the screenshots but it’s the same poor quality when playing the game, like using the console command or the node Take High Res Screenshot.
Thank you!

World Position Offset material problematic in UE5 P2.
here is results :

WPO in P2 is functionally unusable in my experience, and even in the most recent github derivatives it’s mostly hit or miss. This is for Nanite meshes at least, non-nanite seems to be working just fine.

WPO in P2 is functionally unusable in my experience, and even in the most recent github derivatives it’s mostly hit or miss. This is for Nanite meshes at least, non-nanite seems to be working just fine.

2 Likes

I’m aware that Nanite meshes didn’t work at all with WPO until around preview, but now WPO actually does work on Nanite in a way, it can deform and animate vertices, just in a very glitchy fashion. Masked materials also work almost perfectly in my experience.

@xiuce
I am using github branch 5.0 and I can’t download MetaHumans either. In Bridge I tested some food meshes and they downloaded and installed into the editor with no issues. So only my MetaHumans aren’t working in Bridge (the plugin says it is up to date).

EDIT:
I updated to the latest 5.0 Branch. There was a commit on March 22 that fixed it for me.

I’m surprised they even allow WPO for nanite meshes, fundamentally it’s really easy to create problems there. Should probably just disable that option for release.

2 Likes

I just had this too. I think it’s a bug. I just copied the function in the bind, deleted the bind, recreated, and pasted it. I didn’t have to actually change anything. Working now for me. For Epic: this happened after I edited the overall makeup/look of some things inside the widget. The bar with the bind wasn’t changed in any significant ways though.

Why would they disable it if their goal is to get it working? That makes no sense. It wasn’t working at ALL before Preview which means that they are obviously trying to get it somewhat to workable state before release. Weird though because I was under the impression that doing this for NANITE was gonna be something much farther down the line.

I agree, it is really easy to create problems with it. Truth be told, I don’t even understand how it’s possible: Nanite in EA worked by a leaf-tree system, where geometric density could be streamed in or out depending on how big something was on screen. But that depended on all geometry being opaque and evaluated without materials on it, and since WPO and masks are both material effects that drive geometry, I don’t understand how the systems are talking with each other at all.

It looks like WPO currently has the same problems they tried to avoid with early nanite, where some meshlets wouldn’t line up with geometry and seams could form. If they’ve managed to get this far, I think Epic is going to solve the problem. Assuming they can fix the shadow terminator issue on Nanite with RT shadows, I think Nanite will just become the default path for everything non-translucent.

1 Like

Me as well, this was a massive and totally unexpected surprise. I’ve tested it out though, and in a very broken fashion, WPO for Nanite works. Meshes shatter, float away, spin around rapidly and more, but the effect is present. Honestly, I feel like the broken WPO system would make for amazing VFX under the right circumstances.

Masked materials work already, even with translucency (but anything more than planar geometry and refraction breaks). I don’t know if WPO will be shippable by 5.1, but given how fast everything else is coming along, I wouldn’t be suprised. My personal dream would be if they can get Nanite working for skeletal meshes (not a rigger/animator so don’t know how that would even work). Characters with offline CGI-like levels of detail would change the game.

1 Like

Were you working with the preview 2 build when you tested these features?

I was not, it’s a UE5_Main build from github, a few days old. I compiled it after seeing that Epic had figured out support for mirror translucent reflections, and discovered a few other features along the way. SLW now has lumen reflections, plus the afformentioned WPO ‘support’, among other things. I’m not developing anything with this particular version, just trying to understand what I can get away with when 5.1 rolls around.

1 Like

I really appreciate what Lumen and Nanite provide as well as the technical feats to overcome some of the limitations imposed for performance however not being able to use Lumen in the first instance and Nanite in second with any kind of runtime generated geometry is an issue for a lot of workflows.

For instance, anything in AEC that uses runtime datasmith or Datasmith liveLink currently can’t take advantage of Lumen or Nanite. Whilst this might not be an issue at small scales, imagine a city model or digital twin model loaded or streamed in at runtime - these kind of models need to both be performant (Nanite) and visually hold up (Lumen).

Lumen and Nanite are amazing feats as would be a solution to this challenge however if solved it would be an amazing accomplishment and make a lot of the AEC (as I assume other industries) industry really happy.

When is preview 3 release ?

I hope this is he rght place for new ideas.

Sidebar tabs are a good idea. But they could be even better if they
a) open on mouse over and
b) could be grouped.

Example for a):
You are working in the Blueprint Editor, want to change a detail and simply go to the left on the tab that opens immediately. No click. So you can also go through the tabs quickly, which would be the main reason for this feature for me.

Example for b):
You are working in the Blueprint Editor and put “My Blueprint” and “Details” side -by-side in a group. Now you can faster work, lets say you are creating a new variable. Now you immediately have the details next to it and can quickly set the variable. But when you leave the group, it becomes one sidebar tab and can open both tabs (“My Blueprint” and “Details”) in one step.

Very little happens on the 5.0 branch, they might as well plan the release this week :wink:

1 Like

I feel like it’s updated pretty regularly IMHO, that being said the big updates are refactoring various systems to work with LWC, Nanite and lumen performance improvements, and occasional new features. Except for changing the way checkboxes look however, the UI has barely been touched.

1 Like