Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now

Just this information right here is incredibly helpful, thank you for getting in touch with the team and gettings this together.
So far, so good I would say but for one issue that I’m facing (perhaps for lack of knowledge.)

Illustrated below is the UWP page mentioned in your post above, when I attempt to set the images using the usual method I am unable to select any images that I have prepared in any format.
The only format in the drop down is “(*.)” .

Is there perhaps a different method for setting these images ? Or a particular format that is required ?

this is waht i am seeing when i try and add a image

In any Windows file dialog box, you can type in the name of the file you want, even if the “file type” doesn’t show the type.
(That’s a work-around, I agree it looks like a bug!)

It is a bug in the code I am trying to fix the code and see if it works will update on what I find

Looks like they have fixed this here:
https:///MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL/commit/7c959fef046df7001450c290498870658a83f0c9

Updated the file in question and rebuilding , will let you folks know how it goes.

Thank you for the info. I Changed the file and build successfully the engine. Now I tried to package a mobile UWP Project but everytime I do it failes, giving me an ExitCode=5 and following messages:

I created a 44x44 pixel logo (.png) and also a 150x150 pixel (also .png) but I’m still getting this issue. After a closer look it seems that he buts the last image I add to the UWP tab in the project settings and applies it to the small logo, logo, wide and splash screen. Also it creates a “.png” file. Hope that someone has an idea on how to fix this.

P.S. is the UWP only working on Windows 10 devices like a PC / tablet or also on mobile devices running windows 10 like a Lumia phone?

Hey folks ,

I wanted to be sure that I was getting a clean start so I re-downloaded and built the engine. Created a new project based off of the fps example and filled out the information per the provided instructions below.

Getting pretty much the same build log when packaging for UWP32 and UWP64 both in the Editor and the IDE.
Below you will find my build output from the editor after packaging for UWP64. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The commit that addresses the selection of visual assets (https:///MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL/commit/7c959fef046df7001450c290498870658a83f0c9) allows you to select .png images in the Project Settings->Platforms->UWP page, but I am still getting the same errors during packaging (virtually identical to the errors and Sentinel are experiencing).

It seems the author of the previously mentioned commit has added another one - https:///MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL/commit/f1741464de9b82f1c1f72f7ce00cf059fdde8dd5 .

I will try the new commit and update this post accordingly.

*Edit: With the newest commit, you can now select the visual assets properly. Unfortunately I’m still getting an error with makepri.exe:

“MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): UnrealBuildTool: MakePri: error 0x80080204: Appx manifest not found or is invalid. Please ensure well-formed manifest file is present. Or specify an index name with /in switch.”

Perhaps I have the project configured incorrectly. I will see if I can get around this. So close to packaging my UE4 project to UWP!

The new commit fixes the issues to be sure. There are two things to keep in mind though. on the github said that on the description page you should fill in the company name with “CN=” prefixed to the company name.
As an example “CN=Nexymedia” without the quotes of course. The second thing to do is on the UWP page. Change the colors to anything other than the default colors.

Having done this the only error that I get when building from VS is the one below. I included the output from my UWP64 packaging attempt below that.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Still getting MakePri.exe error 0x80080204, but since can get past that, I’m sure I can as well. I have changed the colors in the UWP settings page. I have also used the “CN=company name” format for the company distinguished name, but not for the company name. Perhaps making them both “CN=Company” format will do the trick.

Looks like there are still issues after the MakePri.exe issue is resolved. I’m hoping to package a UWP app with Unreal by the end of the week, so I’ll be posting back here as well as commenting on GitHub commits with my progress. Let’s do this!

Thanks again! Cheers!

Progress is being made…Build successful…Package Successful !

Next up after I’ve built and packaged everything is testing. Through the IDE I built for UWP64.
The splash screen starts up and it looks promising for a short while, then a breakpoint is triggered and I’m presented with the following output and screen:

When I locate the PDB in the UWP64 Binary folder, it drops me into ICUInternationalization.cpp with the callstack below.

Hit continue as I may the breakpoint eventually sticks to the following:

I am using one of Epic’s example games to test this all out, so I’m not sure if that is where the issue comes in. I make a completely empty project to see if this is the case. However I feel that it may not be.

who think when we get this working i should do a video on how to set this up also i will create a post on how to set it up soon

please do so, im getting all mixed from all the different things one has to do to properly setup the build and the project.

should have a video up by tomorrow

Update
Woohoo ! Making progress. As of this post I’m not having any issues building or packaging UWP32 and UWP64 apps. The only issues that seem to remain are to do with deployment and testing, I’m currently working through these on GitHub with some other folks and the excellent support of .

Its always rough going at the start. Once it’s established it’ll be a walk in the park :slight_smile:

I am also getting the makepri.exe error is there a way to fix it
Still getting MakePri.exe error 0x80080204,

There have been several changes made in the past day or so to the repo, you’ll need to update your build.
https:///MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL

i have the now repo and i am still getting that mesage

Did you set the distinguished company name to ‘CN=YourCompanyName’ , fill all the image fields and change the colors at the bottom of the UWP page ?

yes trying a rebuild right now