Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now

here is my new problem Validation error reading XML schema from XDK. The ‘Publisher’ attribute is invalid - The value ‘rileytowe’ is invalid according to its datatype ‘Error’ - The Pattern constraint failed.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Writing PRI config file to F: est xbox\VehicleGame 4.12 - 2\Intermediate\Deploy\priconfig.xml …
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Successfully Completed
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Microsoft (R) MakePRI Tool version 10.0.10011.16384
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: MakePri: error 0x80080204: Appx manifest not found or is invalid. Please ensure well-formed manifest file is present. Or specify an index name with /in switch.

This is a quote from the Github commit comments that should address this.

The distinguished company name in your description page of the project settings should be CN=rileytowe . If you’re running the updated build with changes from approx 17 hours ago that should take care of it good sir.

here is my new log file i still have problems
Project.Package: ********** PACKAGE COMMAND STARTED **********
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x64\makeappx.exe pack /o /d “F: est xbox\VehicleGame 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\UWP” /p “F: est xbox\VehicleGame 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\UWP\VehicleGame.appx”
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 0.4256152s to run makeappx.exe, ExitCode=1
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: Command failed (Result:1): C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x64\makeappx.exe pack /o /d “F: est xbox\VehicleGame 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\UWP”
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): /p “F: est xbox\VehicleGame 4.12 - 2\Saved\StagedBuilds\UWP\VehicleGame.appx”. See logfile for details: ‘makeappx-2016.08.03-08.45.56.txt’
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary2 EnvVars) in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\ProcessUtils.cs:line 814 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at UWP.Automation.UWPPlatform.Package(ProjectParams Params, DeploymentContext SC, Int32 WorkingCL) in e:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\UWP\UWPPlatform.Automation.cs:line 118 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at Project.Package(ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL) in e:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\PackageCommand.Automation.cs:line 41 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) in e:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Scripts\BuildCookRun.Automation.cs:line 218 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute() in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\BuildCommand.cs:line 28 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands) in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 538 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine) in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Automation.cs:line 509 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 131 MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Func2 Main, Object Param) in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\AutomationUtils\Utils.cs:line 704
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): at AutomationTool.Program.Main() in E:\xbox one\Engine\Source\Programs\AutomationTool\Program.cs:line 54
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): AutomationToolLauncher exiting with ExitCode=1
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): copying UAT log files…
MainFrameActions: Packaging (UWP (x64-64bit)): BUILD FAILED

Hi all,

First off, thanks for your interest in this project and your enthusiasm for working through the early issues!

Secondly, for those that missed it, there’s been some good conversation on a commit thread over at the GitHub repo. I’m trying to move the discussion here so that more people can benefit from it. The TL;DR is (and thanks to all who provided this advice above):

• There have been several fixes in the past couple of days, so if you pulled before yesterday and were having difficulty do give things another shot.
  • Pay careful attention to Company Distinguished Name; it should have the X509 format (in particular ‘CN=blah’, other bits optional).
  • Make sure you provide images in the Project Settings -> UWP page. Problems with the interface to do this have been addressed by recent commits.
  • Set the customizable colors in the Project Settings -> UWP page to something other than the default.

Thirdly, let me see if I can help with some of the specific issues that are still affecting people:
@ : I think your problem running the game (mentioned on GitHub) is coming from your editor command line parameters. If your game’s location is listed in your UE4Games.uprojectdirs then you should just need the game name, no path; if it’s not, then I believe you need the full path to the uproject file, including the file name itself. Here’s the particular segment of your editor output that looks problematic:

@ : your log suggests that your manifest is now passing the UE-side validation checks (good!) but makeappx is still failing (bad!). That’s the first time I’ve seen that happen, so kudos I guess :). Next step would be to go look at the separate logfile generated for makeappx, mentioned in the spew you posted (‘makeappx-2016.08.03-08.45.56.txt’). You should be able to find it in the Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs folder. If you can share the contents I can try and help diagnose what went wrong.

Cheers!

here is the link to my logs for people to help me out

Hey guys,

as I already posted on the Git I managed to get through the ‘COOK COMMAND COMPLETED’ but during the ‘STAGE COMMAND STARTED’ it failed.
I leave the publisher information blank, I didn’t receive the errors with the images, but from the looks of the logs it seems like it needs a ‘Title Id’ in the UWP settings so I just entered a ‘2’.
After that it tells me that it could not find the ‘Networking.xml’.
Put my logs as an attachment to this post.

Cheers

Thanks you @ for helping me troubleshoot the issues that I was having, I made the changes that you suggested and everything is running smoothly now.
Now I’m setting my eye on deploying to my XBO in dev mode :wink:

@ I took a look at your logs. I think the main one that’s relevant here is the UAT log. The error there suggests you don’t have developer mode switched on in Windows 10. You’ll want to follow the instructions here to get that fixed.
@Sentinel ad69f3c was an attempt to address the NetworkManifest.xml issue. If you haven’t pulled that commit yet I’d recommend grabbing it and trying again. Alternatively you can place a dummy NetworkManifest.xml in Game/Config/UWP - content shouldn’t matter since it’s not used in this release.

What about the images resolution?

<Code>
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Prepping UE4Game for deployment to UWP32
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Square150x150Logo on partially specified element Package.Applications.Application[0].uap:VisualElements
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Square44x44Logo on partially specified element Package.Applications.Application[0].uap:VisualElements
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Empty or invalid value provided for required attribute Image on partially specified element Package.Applications.Application[0].uap:VisualElements.uap:SplashScreen
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Validation error reading XML schema from XDK. Ԫ�� �����ռ䡰http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10���еġ�Properties���� �����ݲ�������ӦΪ����Ԫ�ص��б�: �����ռ䡰http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): ���еġ�Logo������
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Validation error reading XML schema from XDK. Ԫ�� �����ռ䡰http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10���еġ�Application���� �����ݲ�������ӦΪ����Ԫ�ص��б�: �����ռ䡰http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10���еġ�VisualElementsChoice���� �Լ� �����ռ䡰http://schemas.micro
soft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10���еġ�VisualElements������
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Writing PRI config file to E:\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL-release_uwp\Engine\Intermediate\Deploy\priconfig.xml …
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Successfully Completed
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Microsoft (R) MakePRI Tool
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool:
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool: MakePri: error 0x80080204: Appx manifest not found or is invalid. Please ensure well-formed manifest file is present. Or specify an index name with /in switch.
MainFrameActions: 打包 (UWP (x86-32bit)): UnrealBuildTool:
</Code>

Hello all.
I have next problem.
If I use Launch UWP button - project install and launch on my computer with Windows 10. But if I want create UWP package I have warning “No signing certificate provided. App will not be deployable. Specify a valid pfx in UWP platform settings.”. After this I don’t have capabilities install my package to my computer or Windows phone.
Where can I get “signing certificate” or what is another way to start project on Windows phone without “signing certificate”?

Sank for you work with UE4 and UWP.

I tried to use a Test Certification which I quickly created via a UWP test project inside of visual studio but I could not load it into the UWP Settings in unreal engine 4. Only tell me that it ‘Could not override Certification file’.

you need to turn on dev mode on you phone to do so go here Enable your device for development - Windows apps | Microsoft Learn

@
I have dev mode enabled, but still not able to install the app, instead its giving me following message:

Of course I turn on dev mode. But I haven’t signed app. And I don’t know how I must sign it. I have same message as Sentinel when used Test Certification.

This might help here you can try and sidelode the app if it is unmanaged Sideload line of business apps - Windows Application Management | Microsoft Learn

Turns out the Signing Certificate property had the same chicken-and-egg bug as the images. If you pull commit 2d8bed9 you should be able to provide a certificate through the UI.

You can generate a pfx file suitable for use during development and testing using something like:

Some notes:

• You only need a certificate if you want to install a packaged version of your app (i.e. wrapped up as a single appx file). That’s particularly useful for devices that are in the default ‘Sideload apps’ mode; it may be less relevant for devices in Developer Mode where you can use an unsigned version (provided you don’t package it).
  • It’s important that your certificate Subject name matches the Company Distinguished Name, otherwise signing will fail.
  • The current implementation doesn’t support password protected certificates.

That’s handy to know. I was getting this error when trying to install a packaged UWP onto my XBO from the device portal.
A question about creating the pfx. I made a batch file using the commands provided above. Makecert pops up with a password request and I click none, after that I see the .cer and .pvk files appear in my folder. Then pvk2pfx fires off but unsuccessfully as the pfx file isn’t created in the directory. There is no error message however, I’m using the (x86) versions of makecert.exe and pvk2pfx.exe from the ‘Windows Kits\10\Bin’ folder structure.

Good catch, I was missing the -pvk switch . Here’s the fixed version (plus I’ve edited the original for the sake of those who come after)

Has anyone sucessfully gotten something to deploy on an xbox on in dev mode yet? Dont wanna put mine back into devmode until I know there is a proven work flow for gettign it deployed.
Hoping Unreal will perform better than unity did. it freaking crawled at like 5 FPS with a simple menu when I deployed from unity 5.

That helped in making progress , thank you !
I’ve got a new issue that’s preventing packaging of UWP64 and UWP32 using the resulting cert. I modified the supplied command to the following:

Once generated, I proceed to set the result as the certificate on the UWP page. I made sure to cook for windows and that finished successfully.
Below is the output from the editor when I try to package for UWP64. In the log it says to see ‘signtool-2016.08.05-13.08.24.txt’ for more details, after a thorough search of my system no such file exists.
I’m currently packaging for UWP32 to see if I get the same result.

[MENTION=3956] Barnette[/MENTION]
I did manage to get my test game to install through the device portal by uploading the UWP contents from the build folder. The splash screen started up but because there was no cooked content it crashed. Once I have the cert issue resolved I’ll try it with a signed package or copy cooked content to my build folder and try that way again, though I think that signing the package may do the trick.