Unreal Engine 4 - GPU Crashed or d3d device removed UE4

Hello, I recently downloaded UE4.25 and have been trying to set up a project for the Marketplace. However, whenever I try to Import textures or assign 4096x4096 materials to a mesh, I get the “gpu crashed or d3d device removed ue4” error, and the engine shuts itself down. I didn’t have this issue back in 4.24 or any other version before. I already have the latest version of NVidia Graphics Driver installed.

My Specs:
Laptop: MSI GS73VR 7RF(Stealth Pro)
GPU: NVidia GTX 1070 Max-Q Design
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 - 3.6 GHz
RAM: 32 GB

I am looking forward to your kind answers.
Sincerely,
Berke

if you are using dx12, deactivate MSI afterburner and riva tunner, that worked for me

1 Like

I am using dx12. However, none of those softwares you mentioned is installed on my computer.

Im getting the same issue in the unreal engine, when importing a simple test box animation.
I load in the skeletal mesh( no animation attached yet, And it crashes on play.
I can see the box and see the animation blueprint moving correctly but at play it crashes…

Exactly the same problem/ Imposible to loud any skeletal mesh. Hit play - and go away

Check Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3d Settings>Preferred Graphics Adapter>High Performance Nvidia Processor. That helped me, good luck.

Thanks For the help

Ive seen that thread, and tried it out,
unfortunatly no improvments.

Ive pulled my GPU (2080ti) out and put it into another computer and Now skeletal mesh animations are working.
So its not a GPU issue and the drivers are the same,
So for now its working But i don’t know why
and this is not a reliable fix i count on moving foward in a proffesional work environment.

my computer (that isn’t accepting the skeletal animation) is:
AMD 3950x, 32 gig ram, Windows 10
Nvidia gaming driver 451.67 (Ive also tried the studio driver)
no MSI afterburner

the new computer that seems to work is a Workstation intel Xeon 64 gig ram, windows 10, (same gpu)
Cant solve this one, and its a shame as Im piloting Unreal for the company,
and while Unreal looks amazing
Unity has been very stable so far…

Should I start another thread/question to Unreal forthis matter?

Well looking at the stats of the 2 computers the Processor and RAM could have a lot to do with it. Are you using Ray Tracing for the project? If so, this could be eating all the RAM you have with 4K textures. That’s why the other computer can handle it. So, if using Ray Tracing maybe make a scene without it, you will still get pretty awesome graphics. If you must have ray tracing, then maybe try using 2K textures and see if that has any affect. Good luck, let me know!

Thanks for the reply!
Yes I am using raytracing,
And you are right, once I turn of ray trace and dx12 skeletal animations import perfectly.
However on my test scene ( with raytrace and dx12) I have a new blank scene, no textures and the test I’m doing is importing a box rotating in the z axis.

Just crashes the second I hit play or if I attach the animation to the skeletal mesh.
So as far as I can tell dx12 and raytracing in unreal Is unstable on certain computers.

NP, glad I could try to help. Troubleshooting like your are doing is very helpful to future development of Unreal Engine. Hopefully they come up with a fix for the situation you are having or maybe they have. Ray Tracing is going to a new level according to the release of the Unreal Engine 5 video, so I am sure you can showcase RayTracing: once UE5 comes out, Ray Tracing should be polished and ready to go the next level of coolness. Good luck and keep up the good work, take care.

This is happening to me as well… Ray Tracing with 4K textures. Using an RTX 2070 Super.

Has anyone submitted a bug report?

Anybody found a solution?

There is only one answer for me - USE UNITY. No mistakes and no crushing… Raytracing and other feachers… it`s just works. No problems.

yeah, for the moment that is where my software R&D for the studio is leading at the moment with no clear answer to this problem, this and raytrace Trancluceny with refractions on blocks 2+ bounce raytraces in a Car lamplense.

do you have any links to using raytracing and raytrace tranclucency in Unity for me to start apple to apple comparisions?

Здравствуйте. Работал над проектом и туту вылетела такая ошибка . Долго искал причину
и помогло мне отключения разгона видеокарты до начального состояния . Hello. I worked on such a project and an error occurred to tutu. I was looking for a reason for a long time and helped me turn off the overclocking of the video card to the initial state.
My build
ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660
16gb 3200mh

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this issue. I do not want to hijack this thread so if I should post my own thread, I will gladly do so.

I have a pretty large scene but it is not alot of textures. There is alot of glass though and highly reflective materials. I am using Tracing for the scene in 4.25.4 I added this 4 story glass elevator asset I created and then my GPU shot up to 100% and Crashed with this error. I am using 2 plane geometry for the glass and wonder if I should try single plane with a 2-sided glass shader applied.

Anyway, I am running a custom built AMD Ryzen 3950x with 32 gigs of DDR4 2400 speed ram and a 2080TI RTX card. I have the newest version of windows and the studio driver for the GPU.

The frustrating part is my colleague is running a older computer with a 2080 Super and is having no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I switched from 4.19 to 4.24, I realized that the lighting was changed. Then I learned that Unreal added the new physical lighting units in 4.21 . And I thought this might be the reason. Aside from that, the screenspace reflections look a bit different than the way they did back in 4.19 . It’s okay to have a 100% GPU utilization. Many games work on 100%, so why wouldn’t game engines?

I don’t know if Unreal was attempting to calculate Ray-Tracing for some reason, but I couldn’t even record a product that I was preparing for Unreal Engine Maketplace: Post Apocalyptic/Wasteland Props Pack Vol. 1. The thing is, the issue only occurred when I attempted to use 4k-8k textures on huge meshes like “washing machine” for higher texture resolution.

Meanwhile, I found out that the fans on my laptop were not at their highest capacity and I also started having issues with the games that require small graphical computation(e.g. CS:GO, Rocket League). I also saw tha both my GPU and CPU temperature reached to 93°C. I fixed the fans and the problem was gone, but I don’t know if it fixed the UE4 crash issue as well.

I get also regulary GPU crashes with RTX and Unreal 4.26. (Error: GPU crash or D3D device removed) This is very annoying…Is there a solution available in the meantime?

Hi there, So i scoured the internet for ages on this, Even with a 2080ti at the time, I was running into it,
from other forums; I tried:
removing geforce experience, Afterburner, making sure steam wasnt running in background, etc.

but the one that did it for me was this fix (attached) (apologies i cant give credit to where i found it, as i simply screen grabed the solution at the time when i found it for keep sake and never saved the actual link

hope this helps you!

325508-fix-dx12-raytrace-debug.png

Tdr is an issue with Substance Painter as well. I believe this will fix most of the issues.

Unfortunately a change of the tdr value didn´t help. I am using a Geforce 2080 Ti.