Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

[=Dmacka;373331]
Morph target broken now?

All my meshes no longer morph together like in 4.8.3

Update - Double checked this out. No Morphs work across meshes as 4.8. I’ll stick with 4.8 until this is fixed
[/]

Bug report for this is already on answerhub: 4.9 and 4.10 Set Morph Target not being sent to children of Inherited Mesh! - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums
Pull request for proposed fix is already on github: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1512

Its a trivial fix, so you can alter code and move on with your project :slight_smile:

Uhm can i ask something? since im new to UE4… since new version is out, should i just update it? do i really need to download it again?

[=SrVaas;375063]
Uhm can i ask something? since im new to UE4… since new version is out, should i just update it? do i really need to download it again?
[/]

'fraid so. Much of what is large in update are binary and pdb files (debug symbols), these change as code changes, so they need to be replaced :frowning:

[= ;374368]
Hi Dmacka,

Please post this to answerhub in bug reports section (link in signature). In it, please include what steps you are taking along with whether or not this occurs in a clean, blank project with no additional content or if it is limited to one project.
[/]

Since it has been marked resolved and I don’t really have anything to add, I’ll pass but thanks for info on bug reporting. I’ll make sure to report there in future. :slight_smile:

[=SrVaas;375063]
[/]

To be clear, that’s only if you want to use latest build, otherwise if you’re using a stable version, and are in no urgent need of any new feature that was added, you can just keep using it until a future update when you do, let’s say 4.10 or 4.11 .

Alternatively you can switch to source code version, so you can download a smaller set of files every time, but that would also mean you need to spend time to build it yourself.

Great job on 4.9! Looks promising :slight_smile:

However I encountered a change in custom thunks with array properties that I can’t find in documentation, notably how UArrayProperty is fetched and how blueprint stub functions are declared. It causes crashes during compilation which couldn’t be traced back to any of my functions. I managed to fix it by following and comparing KismetArrayLibrary.h from 4.8 and 4.9. Any comments on this? Which small changelog line did I miss that mentioned this? :stuck_out_tongue:

[=;368736]
Huge problem: I can’t edit any default values from parents!

http://puu.sh/jVotr/6c6bb7d591.png

And I wondered why some variables are set to a wrong value in game… All variables got reset to their parent’s default’s and I can’t change it! What’s reason to use parent/child inheritance if you can’t edit anything from parent? It’s completely broken…
[/]

, I had this issue too and it appears to be on 4.9 only as you suggest. I simply used nodes to set variables… There is an answerhub thing out there…

It is already fixed in master branch and will hopefully be in 4.9.1 :slight_smile: Setting variables manually is not a solution, it’s ugly and it’s important (for me) to not loose information from 4.8 since I basically use all variables for configuring everything like building costs etc. So I will just wait for 4.9.1 :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is kinda ugly! Glad to see that its been fixed… By way, I own your mini map, nice job on it!

[=teak421;376257]
By way, I own your mini map, nice job on it!
[/]

Epic, please finally fix PhysX crash which is occurring every few minutes in my game (UE-18808). It’s making game unplayable.

When UE going to release a good Ocean Shader with foam waves buoyancy underwater FX etc thing happed in water too you know…I been waiting and never see anything here on that area…

[=iMuse;373309]
Like koola and others already stated, temporal AA hurts eyes in this build :frowning:

[/]

Have same problem:

I hate 4.9 already. It crashes all time just like every version I have tried. I copied over my models and its trying to import them, Okay sure. But it takes 99% of my resources for quite a long time to do it. It asks for each one. NO. That is no good. Import all should do that import all. I don’t add things I don’t want imported to begin with. At least make option to stop it from imorting work. It never ends up letting me hit stop due to it not responding until next import pops up. That causes stop option to be not clickable. crashes are annoying as they are every hour or two when I am working on things. Only this software is like that on my PC. VR stops working also. I play preview once in rift it stops displaying on rift at all though it does track on screen. I HATE that it forces you to resart from beginning of import process seeing as it had already imported it… This is really stupid, and yes I am angry right now. FIX it!

Also crashes 100% of time if I try to add a collision mesh to new free content level. I remove blocking volumes to add collision mesh to parts and instant crash. Very Broken.

[=;376424]
Also crashes 100% of time if I try to add a collision mesh to new free content level. I remove blocking volumes to add collision mesh to parts and instant crash. Very Broken.
[/]

And you get same crash in 4.8 too?

[=;376400]
I hate 4.9 already. It crashes all time just like every version I have tried. …
[/]

If you don’t want to deal with issues of a new build, and don’t have time for them, like me, don’t upgrade until last hotfix is here, at that point you can very easily move to new version and keep using it for a good while, because of this, one of best builds out there is 4.7.6, which I’ve been using for a few months without too much problem, and after that 4.8.3, I would wait for now to use 4.9 major build if I were you.

[=;376424]
[/]

Hi ,

Have you reported these crashes and bugs to answerhub in bug report section? That is best thing to do so we can address problem properly. You can find a link to bug reports section in my signature. In your bug report, please include what steps you are taking to reproduce each error (reported in separate bug reports if possible, it is much easier to help on individual bugs than it is to solve an entire list as problems and solutions can become convoluted very quickly) as well as whether you see these occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or if you see them only in specific projects. Additionally, please include crash logs (located at \Unreal Projects\PROJECTNAME\saved\logs), callstack, and dxdiags for bugs.

[=risc;376331]
When UE going to release a good Ocean Shader with foam waves buoyancy underwater FX etc thing happed in water too you know…I been waiting and never see anything here on that area…
[/]

Why should Epic do this for you?

I am really awaiting 4.9.1 since I finally want to be able to use 4.9, unfortunately huge bug which is resetting all parent variables in all child classes is not allowing me to use it at moment. I still don’t really get how you could release 4.9 with such a tremendous bug inside since it deletes all information unrecoverable for anyone using childs which inherit variables from parent… :frowning: