Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

Why can’t I see update in my launcher?

Nevermind I found it. Didn’t see “add versions”! Duh…lol

[=;370435]
Galaxy s2 : U 4.9 32 fps down U4.9 16 fps

[/]

I may be wrong here as I do not use UE4 with Android, but you may be seeing lower frame rates on older devices (S2) because 4.9 is using GL-3.0. I work with Android and WebGL for my “real” job, and I do see issues with OpenGL3.0 on older devices. Not all devices can compile newer shaders.
In fact, Android is all over place with OpenGL – even latest Samsung S6 is **** with rendering because of it’s Motorola video driver.

[=;370316]
There’s screenshot, not only framerate is lower, but number of objects and memory usage is higher. This objects number is interesting, how to check what caused additional almost 2000 objects?

[/]

same problem here.

So how hell do you turn on HLOD preview?

[= ;370342]
Please report these bugs to answerhub (link in signature) in bug reports section so we can assist you more in depth.
[/]

I have same problem in a scene of mine. I also made some small benchmarks with a blank project. I have used same answerhub post as did: Lower framerate by 5-10 FPS and higher objects count - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

UE-17453 still HASN’T been fixed. Epic I’m dissapoint. :confused:

What I’m talking about

everything went purrfect without a hitch, win 10/64

I feel i’m in a wilderness traveling north… farther north than I’ve ever been before…

life found a way…

[=TooManyfps;371268]
I saw in tech news today that UE4.9 is already out and was surprised because 4.8 is not long ago.
I just went over this thread and from page 2 on it is about bugs.
Not sure, but longer development cycles + more testing would be better in my opinion.
Seems to be ‘head over heels’ release ethics.
[/]

Hey, Nothing could be more wrong. Years back tried out Cryengine, Pushing back update cycles doesn’t mean your end up with working tools. Every time updates were released something else that was working got broken. But they if you lucky released updates every 3-6 months.

Keep in mind we do have source access, id rather have epic doing updates monthly (or near enough) that have issues, because if if epics release pattern was 6-12 months i can guarantee you we would still get same bugs. No such thing as perfect code, Perfect code dev tools, compilers, release platform code. It’s chucking loads of things in a blender and hoping things come out OK. Release cycles will never solve that.

Keep Faith, Epic are far from perfect but in my eye’s best of bunch. J

One thing that was marked as done on trello board was Mesh Component FOV thing (To Render FirstPerson Meshes with different FOV )

Is there anyone at Epic that can give out more info on this? It’s really important for type of project i am working on, (wondering if its anywhere on github?)

How do I get 4.9 upgrade ? cant seem to get it to upgrade even by re-downloading and reinstalling.

[=mereagan2007;371525]
How do I get 4.9 upgrade ? cant seem to get it to upgrade even by re-downloading and reinstalling.
[/]

In Library tab, Next to Engine Versions heading, click Add Versions. This will create a new Engine slot along side your current one, with a drop down list that will allow you to choose version of Engine. It should default to latest, i.e. 4.9. Click Install button, and download will start.

Launcher is designed to download Engines side by side, so you can have different versions installed at once. Why? If you make games for a living, you may be working on multiple projects, with different requirements. You may have customized Engine to far to safely bring game to a new version, so this lets you start on new projects with a new Engine version, and either maintain other game in its version, or slowly port necessary portions to new Engine. It also allows you to have game running in two or more engines to compare performance and other things. You might also want to use different versions of Engine for than for Android than for Windows, as newer versions tend to drop support for oldest devices.

One good thing about early and often release is there will be lots of testers, and bug fixes will be much quicker and more complete. downside is initial release can be somewhat buggy, so it is probably better to wait for 4.9.1 if you want to be safe. I opt for quick development cycle ie release early and often which is good for both sides - user and Unreal team.

Thank you for your patient and very instructive response. As you can probably surmise I am a rookie to unreal engine. I appreciate help :slight_smile:

Any updates for UE-19925 and UE-19212? Second one was even listed in known issues list for last preview.

[=;371913]
One good thing about early and often release is there will be lots of testers, and bug fixes will be much quicker and more complete. downside is initial release can be somewhat buggy, so it is probably better to wait for 4.9.1 if you want to be safe. I opt for quick development cycle ie release early and often which is good for both sides - user and Unreal team.
[/]

I agree 100%…

Like koola and others already stated, temporal AA hurts eyes in this build :frowning:

Morph target broken now?

All my meshes no longer morph together like in 4.8.3

Update - Double checked this out. No Morphs work across meshes as 4.8. I’ll stick with 4.8 until this is fixed

[=;372664]
Any updates for UE-19925 and UE-19212? Second one was even listed in known issues list for last preview.
[/]

Hi ,

19925 is marked as by design.
19212 is currently under assessment. Unfortunately I do not have a timeframe of when a fix will be made available.

[=Dmacka;373331]
Morph target broken now?

All my meshes no longer morph together like in 4.8.3

Update - Double checked this out. No Morphs work across meshes as 4.8. I’ll stick with 4.8 until this is fixed
[/]

Hi Dmacka,

Please post this to answerhub in bug reports section (link in signature). In it, please include what steps you are taking along with whether or not this occurs in a clean, blank project with no additional content or if it is limited to one project.