Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

This is interesting. Updating my project made my terrain fluorescent. Only shows this way in editor and not during play. It’s also crashing my video driver (Nvidia GTX870 on Win 10)

http://s11.postimg.org/4v6pz4ogv/2015_09_01_22_47_07.jpg

[=Devfo Studios;369827]
This is interesting. Updating my project made my terrain fluorescent. Only shows this way in editor and not during play.

http://s11.postimg.org/4v6pz4ogv/2015_09_01_22_47_07.jpg
[/]

This looks like navmesh preview, try pressing “P” to disable it :slight_smile:

[=;369830]
This looks like navmesh preview, try pressing “P” to disable it :slight_smile:
[/]

OK, i feel stupid now… that was it

If you are experiencing Redirectors bug listed earlier, please post to this thread or go here for updates:

I’m sorry to repeat it, but I really want to move 4.8 project to 4.9 mainly because of AO mask. If solution isn’t obvious, how can I check what’s happening at 98%? Any log files? duplicated project folder doesn’t have any logs (project folder > Saved > Logs, no such folder).

[=;369228]
I’m having difficulties with convertin 4.8 project to 4.9. I opened it as copy in 4.9, but it hangs at 98%, engine stops responding according to Task Manager and it’s like that for 5-10mins before I do ctrl-alt-del. It’s really simple project, small landscape with trees and BP for walking character. Any suggestions? Any way to debug/ logs?
[/]

[=;370122]
I’m sorry to repeat it, but I really want to move 4.8 project to 4.9 mainly because of AO mask. If solution isn’t obvious, how can I check what’s happening at 98%? Any log files? duplicated project folder doesn’t have any logs (project folder > Saved > Logs, no such folder).
[/]

Hi ,

Try verifying your engine build by going to launcher>library>4.9 context menu>verify. If this does not fix your error, please report this to answerhub in bug reports section (link in signature). In answerhub report, please include your dxdiag, steps taken, and if you are able to open a clean, blank project from 4.9 or if no projects will open at all.

Is anyone else having issues with texture streaming? I often have textures streaming in and everything is popping in and out of very low-res mode.

[= ;369204]
Hi Schala Zeal,

VS 2015 support is still experimental and not fully implemented. For 4.9, it is only available when building Engine from source code. To be able to build Engine using VS 2015, you would need to run GenerateProjectFiles.bat file with -2015 parameter. simplest way to do this would be to make a shortcut for GenerateProjectFiles.bat file, edit properties of shortcut to add " -2015" at end of Target field (make sure to include a space before dash symbol). Double-clicking on shortcut will run batch file with -2015 parameter included.

You could also open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to root folder where you saved Engine source code. Hold Shift key and right-click in an empty area of folder, and select “Open command window here” option. When window opens, type in “GenerateProjectFiles.bat -2015” and press Enter.

[/]

Hi, I still get this error…

[]
F:\UnrealEngine>GenerateProjectFiles.bat -2015
Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files…

GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: We couldn’t find a valid installation of Visual . This program requires either Visual 2013 or Visual 2012. Please check that you have Visual installed, verify that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\InstallDir on 32-bit machines) registry value is set. Visual configures this value when it is installed, and this program expects it to be set to '\Common7\IDE' sub-folder under a valid Visual installation directory.
[/]

Have VS2015 RTM (community) along with Windows 10 SDK RTM installed.

EDIT: I was able to get 2015 project files by adding and modify some batch tools. Hopefully it will compile…

[=;369733]
I am getting frequent crashes selecting multiple parameter nodes in material editor (Assertion failed IsValid()). Beware, don’t try to ctrl+click on parameters. For what it’s worth I was clicking on scalar and vector parameters in no particular order.
[/]

This bug is known and logged internally as UE-20401.

[= ;370142]
Hi ,

Try verifying your engine build by going to launcher>library>4.9 context menu>verify. If this does not fix your error, please report this to answerhub in bug reports section (link in signature). In answerhub report, please include your dxdiag, steps taken, and if you are able to open a clean, blank project from 4.9 or if no projects will open at all.
[/]

Actually I’ve solved it by accident. When I tried converting again and it hanged, after ctrl+alt+deling and opening Task Manager, I’ve noticed that engine was using HDD heavily, something was copying… after quick investigate, it turned out that Matinee recordings were reason engine was hanging and crashing - 65GB of uncompressed recordings in Saved/Video folder.

EDIT: Deleting videos solved it.

[=;368941]
“LocalizationTargetTypes.h(25): error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘FString’” (+ a bunch more errors in same file)

huh…
[/]

in 4.9 i have error when try to build my game(in 4.7 all works, in 4.8 i didn’t try…), here is last log message, any idea what UE wont from me?

MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UE4Editor-Cmd:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): UE4Editor-Cmd: Execution of commandlet took: 59.19 seconds
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 97,3705693s to run UE4Editor-Cmd.exe, ExitCode=1
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Project.Cook: Cook failed. Deleting cooked data.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.: ERROR: Exception in AutomationScripts.Automation: Cook failed.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Stacktrace: в Project.Cook(ProjectParams Params)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в BuildCommand.Execute()
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object )
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Action`1 , Object )
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в AutomationTool.Program.()InnerException in AutomationUtils.Automation: BUILD FAILED: Failed while running Cook for D:\Games\UE4_sources\UE_projects\HALO\HALO.uproject; see log C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\D+Games+UE4_sources+LAUNCHER+Unreal+Engine+4.9\Cook-2015.09.02-20.07.12.txt
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Stacktrace: в AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunCommandlet(String ProjectName, String UE4Exe, String Commandlet, String Parameters)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): в Project.Cook(ProjectParams Params)
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Program.: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=Error_UnknownCookFailure
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Domain_ProcessExit
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): copying UAT log files…
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
MainFrameActions: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults:Error: Error Unknown Cook Failure

Okay, after converting to 4.9, I’ve noticed I have lower framerate by 5-10 FPS. Same camera, I haven’t changed anything. Perhaps 4.9 has different default settings anywhere than 4.8 that lowered framerate from 50ish to 40ish?

There’s screenshot, not only framerate is lower, but number of objects and memory usage is higher. This objects number is interesting, how to check what caused additional almost 2000 objects?

EDIT: Another bug, when ‘walking’ with camera, and holding strafe keys (side movements, A/D keys) and look around with mouse, camera is super jerky, no smooth looking around like in 4.8.

I have to say for us this has been by far most problematic update so far. Also getting this when I hit play:

It’s part of VR template I guess, don’t know what causes it.

[=;370316]
There’s screenshot, not only framerate is lower, but number of objects and memory usage is higher. This objects number is interesting, how to check what caused additional almost 2000 objects?

EDIT: Another bug, when ‘walking’ with camera, and holding strafe keys (side movements, A/D keys) and look around with mouse, camera is super jerky, no smooth looking around like in 4.8.
[/]

Please report these bugs to answerhub (link in signature) in bug reports section so we can assist you more in depth.

[=Gigantoad;370333]
I have to say for us this has been by far most problematic update so far. Also getting this when I hit play:

It’s part of VR template I guess, don’t know what causes it.
[/]

Please report this on answerhub in bug reports section so we can assist you further. In it, please include what steps you took to reproduce this on your end. Additionally, include whether this project was updated from a previous version or if it was created new in 4.9, whether this occurs in a clean project, and any additional information that may help us to determine what is occurring and potentially reproduce error.

My game on android Galaxy s3: U 4.8 -34 fps up U4.9 52 fps :::)))))))))))))
Galaxy s2 : U 4.8 32 fps down U4.9 16 fps :(((((((((((((((((((((

This update suxx :stuck_out_tongue: i have many bugs .Etc… I stay with U4.8 .

Major FPS drop here from a 4.7 project opened in 4.9. And also getting external packages error. Crashes when trying to run standalone…

[= ;370343]
Please report this on answerhub in bug reports section so we can assist you further. In it, please include what steps you took to reproduce this on your end. Additionally, include whether this project was updated from a previous version or if it was created new in 4.9, whether this occurs in a clean project, and any additional information that may help us to determine what is occurring and potentially reproduce error.
[/]

Was able to reproduce this with a clean VRTemplate project. Repro steps here: Missing bones error in VRTemplate and 4.9 - Character & Animation - Epic Developer Community Forums