Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

I see. Darn

[=;]
4 or 5 people now have this problem just in this thread. I think bug fixes need to be #1 priority before pushing this stuff out. I can’t make a complete vr game when every release I have to deal with issues like this over and over again. Can’t use old versions because we are forced to keep updating for continual vr support…
[/]

Hi ,

I was able to reproduce external reference errors and have entered a bug report, UE-20612, to be assessed by development staff. These are warnings and do not seem to have any adverse effects at present so it should be safe to ignore them for now. If they begin causing errors with projects, please feel free to make an answerhub post in bug reports section (link in signature) detailing exact effects and what reproduction steps can be taken to recreate this on our end.

[= Ellis;368551]
I haven’t encountered a problem using scroll wheel in 4.9. Can you please log a Bug Report on AnswerHub with additional information and repro steps?

Thanks
[/]

I just thought you had an incredible dry sense of humor, and great restraint in not using any smiley.

Uh… VS2015 != VS2015?

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn/hphotos-xtp1/t31.0-8/11892301_10156204588410556_3166684598459727517_o.jpg

[=Schala Zeal;369502]
Uh… VS2015 != VS2015?
[/]

Hi Schala Zeal,

Would you be able to make a post in Bug Reports section of AnswerHub regarding this? Please include as much detail as possible about steps you followed until that error appeared.

Thanks,

[= ;369592]
Hi Schala Zeal,

Would you be able to make a post in Bug Reports section of AnswerHub regarding this? Please include as much detail as possible about steps you followed until that error appeared.

Thanks,

[/]

I keep getting “internal error” when I tried.

[=Magneto;369258]
I hope someone takes a look at these motion artifacts as well as they’ve gotten really bad this version.

PP Low, AA Epic.

PP Epic, AA Low.

Both Epic and a still for comparison.

Im not sure why these artifacts were ever considered ok?
[/]

You beat me to it! :slight_smile:

I just saw this on a test level and its extremely noticeable and I haven’t seen it that bad before as far as I can remember. Something in Temporal AA must have changed and I think someone from Epic responded to Koola a couple pages back regarding a change in Temporal AA. My guess is its that if that got updated in 4.9

I found an issue where a custom widget is not showing on UI (ordering issue maybe?). I posted an AnswerHub link about this here… [4.9.0] - UMG Widget No Longer Visible - UI - Epic Developer Community Forums

I have noticed also AI in game I’m working on has been affected but I have yet to dive through and confirm if something maybe got disconnected in Blueprints or similar after upgrading (this has happened plenty in past for an unknown cause). I also don’t want to rule out that it could be my error quite yet however this did work before upgrade.

Another thing is that an old issue I posted about a year ago still seems to be present but I am not sure and don’t want to pre-emptively assume. There was a dynamic sky from Marketplace that was added to a level and removed after it had serious issues yet level where it was evaluated on still retained some form of reference to it after it was no longer there (from what I can see). I’m guessing this because it also used a custom Directional Light (which was still present) and when that was set to moveable, all 32GB of my memory was eaten up (?!?!) and bug showed up to say hey and provide some early morning entertainment of trying to diagnose issue :confused:

When I finally deleted that light, memory went away and perf came back. Even if that Directional Light was being used by this custom Marketplace component, once that component was deleted, there should have been no issue with having a standalone light but something underneath covers still had some ties to deleted component and even though it was deleted from Scene Outliner, there was still an actor present on some low level. I originally noticed issue about over a year ago and would see my level show Save Asterisk on tab indicating to user that an update happened and they needed to save file after editing an asset that had no association to level in question whatsoever (after being previously added removed). I haven’t noticed this happening presently but seeing what I saw this morning leads me to believe this is still a major issue with engine and has me frightened that levels could potentially get corrupt and/or unfortunately waste time for myself or other developers trying to debug rogue issues with a case like mine today where having leftover Directional Light, completely nerfed my memory because something of old component was still left over. Quite honestly I hope that is not case and hoping its not that bad but I spent a fair amount of time to finally figure out it was a Directional Light all along (BTW folder for custom Marketplace content is still in this project today and will be getting removed entirely from source control later today and its possible after deleting this, reference would be broken and/or simply go away from level it was previously used in). Also as a note, I did go ahead and test out a Directional Light on another level and it didn’t do anything negative when switching from Stationary to Moveable. Only one that was previously used on other level that had that Marketplace Component, did it show some serious demons.

BTW, please put that fix for Parent variable defaults in first hotfix, this is going to cause a couple headaches in meantime. Thanks and much appreciated! :smiley:

Another thing I noticed is for some reason, PreLogin(…) in AGameMode is not being called (but have yet to test quite yet). I have a bunch of testing to do shortly so I hope to find out more… Going to stay positive

[=Schala Zeal;369602]
I keep getting “internal error” when I tried.
[/]

You are seeing an error message when you try to go to AnswerHub?

When I try to submit a question, yes.

[=Schala Zeal;369632]
When I try to submit a question, yes.
[/]

I just tried posting a new question on AnswerHub and it seemed to work fine. Would you be able to try again, please?

[= UT4;368637]
Is Unreal Engine 4.9 now with Windows 10 compatible?
[/]

It has always worked on Win10.
I was just using 4.8 on win 10 a day ago!

Took a couple tries on answerhub to get it posted over there. Kept getting an error message.
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/295160/activeclassredirects-collision-load-error-after-49.html

Having same issue as someone else reported in this thread for activeclassredirects load errors.

I ran fix up redirectors in both my content folder and engine content folder and that did not solve problem.

[=;]
4 or 5 people now have this problem just in this thread. I think bug fixes need to be #1 priority before pushing this stuff out. I can’t make a complete vr game when every release I have to deal with issues like this over and over again. Can’t use old versions because we are forced to keep updating for continual vr support…
[/]

I have this issue too,please fix that,it’s a bit annoying…

Here is another bug…

Deleted an asset, created a new one… attempted to undo editor crashed at following line of code…

[]
Transactor.h
FArchive& operator<<( class UObject*& Res ) override
{
int32 ObjectIndex = 0;
(FArchive&)*this << ObjectIndex;
Res = ReferencedObjects[ObjectIndex].GetObject();
return *this;
}
[/]

EDIT: For further details, ObjectIndex is 65537 but size of ReferencedObjects array is 2

ANSWER HUB LINK: [4.9.0] - Undo In Certain Case Causes Crash - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums

Guys… When updating projects to new major release, remember to delete Binary folders and Intermediate folders, to have a fresh build of project copy.
Many of issues some report may be because you simply didn’t delete these folders before upgrading.

Just found another bug which is probably related to parent issue but I just applied a Material to a base class and it reset all materials for any parents that are based off of that child BP… Okay… this is bad Epic. Thankfully, I’ll just keep my other game in 4.8.3 in meantime but this is going to waste a lot of time if I have to go back and fix parent class materials every time I need to change base one.

EDIT: I just tested it a second time and same thing. This is extremely upsetting…

ANSWER HUB LINK: [4.9.0] - Materials Constantly Get Overriden By Base Class Material Changes - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

I am getting frequent crashes selecting multiple parameter nodes in material editor (Assertion failed IsValid()). Beware, don’t try to ctrl+click on parameters. For what it’s worth I was clicking on scalar and vector parameters in no particular order.

oO linux dedicated server – initial observations: memory usage for our game dropped by about 30% with this version!! Woohoo!

[= ;369708]
Guys… When updating projects to new major release, remember to delete Binary folders and Intermediate folders, to have a fresh build of project copy.
Many of issues some report may be because you simply didn’t delete these folders before upgrading.
[/]

Useful information. Is there a documentation page that lists what should be done before upgrading a project? (aside from backing up)

[= ;369708]
[/]

I am quite sure UE4 is doing this automatically, where should I manually do it? common way to update a project is to start new version, open old project and select “create copy”. UE4 creates copy and automatically starts project - do you think I should close project, delete binary and intermediate folder, and reopen it? It’s always compiling all shaders again after it’s updated to a new version, so I think this means it has deleted binary and intermediate folders.