Unreal Engine 4.8 Released!

What a great time to be alive!

What’s the schedule for major releases? Every 2-3 months? Just insane!

Is the green flashing hat gone? :slight_smile:

[=;308199]
Is the green flashing hat gone? :slight_smile:
[/]

I hope so lol…

@.@ Great update guys!

Nice DLC’s and patches !! :slight_smile: i need to check that.
No LPV or DFGI :frowning:

It’s like christmas in June!

This might seem like a stupid question, but how do I update to 4.8?? It is not available as an update in my Epic games launcher?

EDIT: Found the +Add Version button!!! my bad

Did the particles distance field collision is in there?

You talk about in the preview but I don’t seen it here… :slight_smile:

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but has there been any word on the Substance plugin? I am not finding it on the marketplace, and the pluginfolder for 4.7.6 does not work anymore.

**** that must be the biggest release note i have ever seen for any software

you guys are amazing

[=indiscrete;308294]
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but has there been any word on the Substance plugin? I am not finding it on the marketplace, and the pluginfolder for 4.7.6 does not work anymore.
[/]

i think that depends on the substance guys, though they are usually pretty quick so i doubt you will wait long

[=;308231]
I hope so lol…
[/]

It seems like its not gone. Ive watched the new foliage-tool tutorial and the hat was flashing.

We can set bp classes in data tables!

[]
What about DFGI ? Is it also fully intigrated in 4.8 or still experimental ?
[/]

See

[]
Did the particles distance field collision is in there?
[/]

No, it was checked in after the 4.8 build was made internally. If you compile Master from github it will be present.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the Unreal team for a great release.

Cheers for the impressive update! Are there any special steps required when upgrading from 4.7? anything note worthy?, or will it just load the project normaly. Thanks guys n gals!
regards

[=MADHOUSE;308360]
Cheers for the impressive update! Are there any special steps required when upgrading from 4.7? anything note worthy?, or will it just load the project normaly. Thanks guys n gals!
regards
[/]

Assuming you have no plugins (and maybe no code, depending on how you’ve coded it) right click on your project -> switch engine versions choose 4.8 and hit ok. Open project. Some projects may tell you editor-projectname.dll needs recompiling. Let the UBT do that and your set.

[=;308266]

No LPV or DFGI :frowning:
[/]

Hi ,

What do you mean by this?

LPV has been in the engine since, I think, 4.1 or 4.2. DFGI can be enabled in 4.8 and you can check 's post about its status here: The state of Distance Field GI in 4.8 - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

If there is something you’re missing feel free to ask here or post a question in the Rendering section of AnswerHub and I’ll be glad to help out. :slight_smile:

UE 4.8 released today stops responding when trying to load the Kite Demo level. Any suggestions?

Congrats on the impressive roll out!

[=MADHOUSE;308360]
regards
[/]

yes -> 1st -> Right Click Project in Library -> CLONE !!!

Clone ‘ANY’ Project before trying to update to a new version of the Engine!

it ‘might’ work if you don’t but if you clone you won’t take a on loosing it when you update to the newer version of the engine.
(hope I posted this fast enough for those that don’t have their projects saved somewhere)

then later you can fix anything by using the original as a reference for any problems the clone might have or vice-a-versa.