Unreal Engine 4.7 Preview

[=Terrian;194325]
Super quick test:

://i.imgur/7tIz7uD.jpg

://i.imgur/PmOhegN.jpg

~25k instances of SM_Bush, ~20M triangles.

runs ~2fps in 4.6 and ~35fps in 4.7 (HD6970 2GB).

(I just used foliage tool with SM_Bush, touched nothing else.)
[/]

I just did a similar test using FPS template:

://i.imgur/J20YrPT.jpg

So I did with 2 maps: one with manually placed foliage and another one using foliage tool, without changing any options. Both maps have ~4k instances of SM_Bush
Using exactly same point of view, here are results on 3 different PCs:

GTX 770:

manual 4.6: ~22fps
manual 4.7: ~20fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~66fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~62fps

GTX 770 mobile (laptop):

manual 4.6: ~15fps
manual 4.7: ~16fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~47fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~43fps

GTX 970:

manual 4.6: ~35fps
manual 4.7: ~34fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~100fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~90fps

It’s really weird we got such different results. And for looks of it, in my tests 4.6 version performed better.

[=;201185]
I just did a similar test using FPS template:

://i.imgur/J20YrPT.jpg

So I did with 2 maps: one with manually placed foliage and another one using foliage tool, without changing any options. Both maps have ~4k instances of SM_Bush
Using exactly same point of view, here are results on 3 different PCs:

GTX 770:

manual 4.6: ~22fps
manual 4.7: ~20fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~66fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~62fps

GTX 770 mobile (laptop):

manual 4.6: ~15fps
manual 4.7: ~16fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~47fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~43fps

GTX 970:

manual 4.6: ~35fps
manual 4.7: ~34fps
foliage tool 4.6: ~100fps
foliage tool 4.7: ~90fps

It’s really weird we got such different results. And for looks of it, in my tests 4.6 version performed better.
[/]

You placed ~4k instances, Terrian had ~25k of them, so over 6 times more. Perhaps new foliage rendering method has slightly bigger overhead, but performs much better with significant number of foliage instances. Also, there may be other reasons for performance differences between engine versions considering that in most tests FPS difference was insignificant and could be just measuring error/badly prepared test case.

Only one crash since install with a never ending loop.

Glad to hear Oculus Runtime 0.4.4 being implemented.

Can we also add UE-5996 - Incorrect loading .uasset files (que…sset-file.html) to know issues list?

Thanks!

[=;202083]
Can we also add UE-5996 - Incorrect loading .uasset files (que…sset-file.html) to know issues list?

Thanks!
[/]

link is broken.

Fixed link: UE-5996 - Incorrect loading .uasset files

UPDATE!

We briefly released Preview 2 of 4.7 build, but we quickly identified a potential major with it and had to pull release.

Our apologies for any may cause. We will update again as soon as we can.

Thanks

Hey thanks for quick update !

Are these 2 known issues same problem? I noticed UE-6745 is not marked as fixed, but UE-7017 is. Can you confirm whether is fixed or still pending?

[]
UE-6745 Values in Material Parameter Collections are not carrying over

U̶E̶-̶7̶0̶1̶7̶ ̶M̶a̶t̶e̶r̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶P̶a̶r̶a̶m̶e̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶C̶o̶l̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶V̶a̶l̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶0̶ (̶R̶e̶p̶o̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶:̶ ̶R̶o̶c̶c̶i̶n̶i̶o̶)̶
[/]

Thanks!

EDIT: I managed to fully download it before you pulled it off launcher, and I can confirm IS fixed (both of them) :slight_smile:

[=;197585]
Don’t know if it’s on my end but rebuilding lights now takes forever. A map I’m working on in 4.6 use to take 1 min 30 sec for first percentage and then i takes off. Now it takes about 5 minuets and five for each additional percentage and some times it just locks up at about 25%.
[/]

Hi ,

Does occur on a blank project with no additional content? Are you using static, stationary, or movable lights?

[=;202399]
Are these 2 known issues same problem? I noticed UE-6745 is not marked as fixed, but UE-7017 is. Can you confirm whether is fixed or still pending?
[/]

Hey ,

Nice catch. They are actually same, and in our system 6745 is closed out as a duplicate. I’m not sure how it made it into final list, but we’ll fix it and double-check for any others as well.

Thanks

[= ;202460]
Hey ,

Nice catch. They are actually same, and in our system 6745 is closed out as a duplicate. I’m not sure how it made it into final list, but we’ll fix it and double-check for any others as well.

Thanks
[/]

! Thanks for confirming it .

[=;195509]
RE: perf regression. Would it be possible for you to share your test map / setup with us?
[/]

Sorry, haven’t had because of christmas. I’ll consult my team about .

UPDATE!

We have just released Preview 2 for 4.7! update to preview contains 15 bug fixes that were discovered during Preview 1. Please view original post on page 1 of thread for updated “Known Issues” list.

We wish to make special note of two known issues in Preview 2 release: Projects don’t launch on Android devices using Lollipop OS, and “Launch on” for iOS from Mac fails to build. Both of these issues have already been fixed internally, but fixes were not able to be included in Preview 2.

Thank you for your continued help in testing 4.7 build before its official release. As a reminder, Preview builds are for testing only, and should not be used for active development of your project.

Cheers!

@anonymous_user_1da90bc6: Multiplayer connection seems to be broken 4.7.0 Preview 1. Is it fixed now?

Nice, looks like some bugs will be fixed for 4.7.

You have a spelling error here: “UE-6816 Shape components have a Shape Material property that is never displayed (Reported by: Heverdy)”
Is no Heverdy. :slight_smile:

Thanks for help and fixes !

[=;202840]
@anonymous_user_1da90bc6: Multiplayer connection seems to be broken 4.7.0 Preview 1. Is it fixed now?
[/]

Can you provide any other specifics? Has it been reported on an post? If so please link it to us, as we have a couple of networking related reports we are working on right now.

[=;202847]

You have a spelling error here: “UE-6816 Shape components have a Shape Material property that is never displayed (Reported by: Heverdy)”
Is no Heverdy. :slight_smile:
[/]

Fixed it, sorry about that :slight_smile:

[= ;202849]
Has it been reported on an post?
[/]

I searched but didnt find anything.

[= ;202849]
Can you provide any other specifics?
[/]

I’ll post details here now. Just a minute.

EDIT:

I used Third Person Template.

In 4.5.1 multiplayer is working perfectly. clients can connect to server.

And exact same project without any changes in 4.7.0 Preview 1:

Why can’t you add Classes to DataTable in RowEditor/Structures? I mean you can get them out of a DataTable, you can make structs with them and Add them inside of Blueprints, but you cannot add them in in DataTable/RowEditor why is that case?
For Example if I would want to make a DataTable with Items I have and then could do a simple “Get Data Table Row” with Name of Item/Row and spawn and Actor with class inside of DataTable. But I seem to not find any way to do that without manualy adding every single Class in every single Row at start of each game and not via DataTable Editor.
Hopefully you understand what I mean. :smiley:

@ : Just now I downloaded 4.7.0 Preview 2 and multiplayer is fixed. yay :slight_smile: