Unreal Engine 4.4 Preview Notes

I’m really hoping Oculus Rift DK2 SDK 0.4 (or newer) makes it into either 4.4, or a 4.3 hotfix. I’m chomping at the bit to resubscribe to UE4 and be able to properly work on some new content with my DK2.
I know it sorta works with 4.3, and that will probably be good enough to get started this weekend - but I’m looking forward to not having to do workarounds. Anything you guys can tell us?

Edit: And not to sound ungrateful for all the other 4.3 and 4.4 changes. Clear coat is going to be great with the vehicles. Looking forward to getting going again!

[=]
I’m really hoping Oculus Rift DK2 SDK 0.4 (or newer) makes it into either 4.4, or a 4.3 hotfix. I’m chomping at the bit to resubscribe to UE4 and be able to properly work on some new content with my DK2.
I know it sorta works with 4.3, and that will probably be good enough to get started this weekend - but I’m looking forward to not having to do workarounds. Anything you guys can tell us?

Edit: And not to sound ungrateful for all the other 4.3 and 4.4 changes. Clear coat is going to be great with the vehicles. Looking forward to getting going again!
[/]

yeah I think I will be doing the same, I cannot keep reinstalling 0.3 0.4 0.3 just to try out things… I 'm working a VR demo and I would really like to get everything tuned with 4.4 or whichever version will have the final DK2 support… meanwhile I hold the subscription I think… Great work on 4.4 tho!

Also wanting to know about DK2s update.

Just noticed an incorrect tooltip in the 4.4 Preview for the Experimental Ad Banner Blueprint nodes - it says iOS only however it’s still working great with Admob on Android :wink:

Darn… No mention of the Oculus Rift DK2 SDK 0.4? I really wonder what’s going on with that… I’m kinda stuck at a point where it’s hard to get much more work done, without having the proper SDK support… I’d really rather not use an outdated work-around, like disabling/uninstalling drivers, when everything else I’m doing uses those Oculus drivers fine…

I’m also waiting for Oculus to update their SDK, to fix a few bugs, like black smear or judder… Which sucks, because I bet the moment UE4 updates with the new SDK, Oculus will put out their own update, and thus make UE4’s VR support outdated again. >_< I wish the Oculus guys could coordinate with the UE4 guys a little better… A large percent of VR devs really want to use UE4, and VR’s success is riding on all this stuff…

[=NikoKun;109551]
Darn… No mention of the Oculus Rift DK2 SDK 0.4? I really wonder what’s going on with that… I’m kinda stuck at a point where it’s hard to get much more work done, without having the proper SDK support… I’d really rather not use an outdated work-around, like disabling/uninstalling drivers, when everything else I’m doing uses those Oculus drivers fine…

I’m also waiting for Oculus to update their SDK, to fix a few bugs, like black smear or judder… Which sucks, because I bet the moment UE4 updates with the new SDK, Oculus will put out their own update, and thus make UE4’s VR support outdated again. >_< I wish the Oculus guys could coordinate with the UE4 guys a little better… A large percent of VR devs really want to use UE4, and VR’s success is riding on all this stuff…
[/]

totally agree, a little more coordination/exchange of info between oculus and ue programmers would be great…I’m counting on UE4 for all my VR experiments… hope everything straightens out soon… keep up the great work anyways!

[=aussieburger;109469]
Just tried this out and while the back button is now mapped unfortunately it still misses the point of being able to hook it up to Quit game. Quit game still does not work for me on Android devices :frowning: Any idea of when this might come? Is there just a setting required in the manifest.xml perhaps? Unfortunately never seen ANY Android app except for TappyChicken to not be able to quit the game with the back button :frowning:
[/]

will be updated soon. All you should need to do for your own game is to call QuitGame in response to the back button when at the top level menu.

Cheers,
Noland

Cannot wait to get 4.4 in my hands, definitely tons of improvements! Yay :slight_smile:

, can you please respond to the several people asking about DK2 support and plans for that? Are you guys just waiting for Oculus to update their messy SDK they sprung on you first?

[=milligna;109632]
, can you please respond to the several people asking about DK2 support and plans for that? Are you guys just waiting for Oculus to update their messy SDK they sprung on you first?
[/]

We’re work to get this sorted as quickly as possible for both 4.3 via hotfix and for the upcoming 4.4 release (may end up being a hotfix as well depending on coordination of schedules). Not sure final time table on this yet but we’ll get some concrete info out early next week.

Fantastic, glad to hear! I’m trying to convince a few other people to go in on a project and that was the last stumbling block. Can’t wait to dig in!

[=Ray ;109964]
We’re work to get this sorted as quickly as possible for both 4.3 via hotfix and for the upcoming 4.4 release (may end up being a hotfix as well depending on coordination of schedules). Not sure final time table on this yet but we’ll get some concrete info out early next week.
[/]

Thank you for the info, it really helps and it’s appreciated. I’ll be resubbing today (was waiting for the DK2 to arrive) and at least getting started in that case. We Rift users must be a bit of a niche of the overall userbase, so I really appreciate EPIC’s dedication to VR - it’s really made things accessible!

Thanks again.

Still no love for the Skin Shader? My project absolutely relies on making people as realistic as possible and the lack of decent skin is completely holding me up :frowning:

Thank you for the info guys :slight_smile:

[= Vanderbeck;110054]
Still no love for the Skin Shader?
[/]

Good news. We’ve been working on the new subsurface scattering shading model, and 4.5 will have these features, though they may be in an experimental state. Our artists are still testing it out right now. If you compile an unstable build from the GitHub master branch, you’ll see the current work in progress. Check out 's recent GitHub commit for the subsurface shading model.

[= Fricker;110090]
Good news. We’ve been working on the new subsurface scattering shading model, and 4.5 will have these features, though they may be in an experimental state. Our artists are still testing it out right now. If you compile an unstable build from the GitHub master branch, you’ll see the current work in progress. Check out 's recent GitHub commit for the subsurface shading model.

[/]

Thanks ! This is real important to me so i’ll check that out.

At this rhythm, when unreal engine 5 will be out? :smiley:

[= Noland;109120]
RE: EditInlineNew bug, do you have an AnswerHub thread or TTP number? Otherwise I’d need more info about what the issue was to see if it’s been addressed or not.

I don’t know how finished GameInstance is right now, but I do see CL# 2220826:

There’s no simulation for the flecks, the metal flakes are just a texture map I think. I can’t find the material anywhere, but this note was included in the email announcing it:

Cheers,
Noland
[/]

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply! Here is the link to the original forum post I did and it references Clouds original post to the AnswerHub forums (https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?8208-Did-GameInstance-and-fix-for-EditInlineNew-bug-make-it-into-4-2&highlight=editinlinenew).

Fingers crossed on GameInstance, really looking forward to this feature.

Thanks for the info on the flecks. I had assumed this was probably a texture as that makes more sense to use one than the cost of generating a tile-able voronoi or some other simulation and also saw that node in the release notes. I bet that developer who had that thread before he got married who was working on the car-paint shader is really excited to see this. :slight_smile:

Great work on 4.4 and thanks for the update !

[]
it is just a blue color for BaseColor, Metallic 1 and that’s it
the fleck texture made the base color brighter and darker
oh and roughness 0.4
I don’t remember if ClearCoat defaults to 1 but if not than that as 1

The point of the clear coat shading model is that is just works
[/]

Awesome! You guys should include that as an example to highlight the feature. Thanks for the detailed response!

This is really cool, I sure hope you guys can make 2D game creation even easier and better for mobile platforms! Using paper2d and sprites is confusing to me but maybe you guys can make specific stuff for it. I also wonder when user marketplace might be available. I love how Unity allows users to create content and sell it. That would be so dope haha, I cant seem to find user content though. Great update!

4.4 already?!? Epic STAHP!!

(not really, keep going) huehue :wink: