Unreal Engine 4.27 and 5 Laptop Requirements

Hi! I just want to inquire about the specs needed for Unreal Engine 4.27 and 5. I’m planning to buy a laptop called "Asus Vivobook Pro 14x OLED which I’m also gonna use for Adobe Creative Apps. The specs of this laptop has 16GB Ram, RTX 3050, 512 SSD, and Ryzen 9. Will this specs also work fine for the Unreal Engine 4.27 and 5? I have a desktop actually but I always go outside so I want to bring a laptop for me. I’m also seeing a RTX 3060 laptops as well which I’m thinking about to buy if RTX 3050 is not enough.

System memory and video memory are the 2 things you should be looking at. I think you’ll find that you’ll want to upgrade to at least 32gb ram minimum, and as far as the graphics goes, the 3060 comes with 6gb vram vs 4gb for the 3050, so I would go with the 3060 (at a minimum – 6gb of vram is fairly marginal. Would be better to look at a 3070 laptop to get 8gb vram). BTW, this is all holds true also for using Adobe Creative suite.

1 Like

Hi! @ronm6667 . Thank you for your information. I’m also in a tight budget which is around $1500. I plan the Asus Vivobook Pro 14 because it has OLED 2.8K resolution helpful for my Adobe Creative Suite . I also saw Asus Zenbook with 4k resolution and has 3070 but it costs much expensive though. So will Unreal Engine also work well in Asus Vivobook Pro 14?

Honestly, I would worry more about the system specs vs display, but that’s just me. You will find that Unreal Engine is very resource hungry, and if you skimp on the specs, you won’t be getting much further than playing with simple levels. I made that same mistake before, and finally spent what was needed to be able to do real work in the engine. That said, if you are set on that Zenbook, just make sure to spring for some aftermarket ram. 32gb is minimum. More is better. But again, if you are looking to work on a real project with complex levels, find something that has better specs. For instance, you can spec out an HP Omen with a 3070 for ~1500 (I am by no means recommending that brand, just pointing out the first thing I came across). Unreal doesn’t care about the quality of the display, only the guts of the machine. And you are already being limited in power by using a laptop in the first place. If the quality of the display is your top priority, then get what you need, but understand that you will be hampered by the lack of power when working in Unreal.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m gonna think about it and earn more to buy a higher spec laptop. I even have a plan to get a Macbook Pro but I’m still worried about the new M1 Chip so I need to wait for the updates and progress of this new technology of Apple. Anyways, thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it :smile:

You should be very much fine till now with your specs. RTX 3060 with 6GB VRam should be your goto Graphics but 3050 with 4GB will do just fine for now.