Unreal Engine 4.26 released!

@DanH71
Thanks for reporting the name bug.
By default, a very minimal set of properties are shown to enable quick tweaking, e.g. color/intensity.
You can use the dropdown at the bottom to switch between different modes.
Docs: Environment Light mixer in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.1 Documentation

@Mittens
Thanks!
Yes: cloud rendering for multiple views could not be fixed in time for 4.26 unfortunately.
Bottom of layer broken: yes there is a todo to fix that. Current workaround is to extent the start of the cloud layer to the ground (more expensive to render)

@spacegojira
Those heights have been lowered to 0.1=100meters previously. Lower values can result in visual artifact being more easily visible due to look up tables and thresholds (some can already be visible sometimes at 0.1). It would need more digging and priority for this is low now.
This is already very small and the start up area of the default level is relatively large on such a planet already:

Holy sh*t Truespace still exists? And someone here is actually using it?! Cool.

LOL, this TrueSpace thing isnā€™t updated for 11 years already. I wouldnā€™t expect modern software and FBX importers to work with it :wink:

I got a weird issue with UMG widget since I updated to 4.26 (I was in 4.24 before),
when I have a userWidget child of a another one, if I go the the child widget and modify it, the widget wonā€™t update correctly in the editor, itā€™s stay the same.
I have to manually delete it and re-add it to see it updated.

anyone encounter this issue ? I canā€™t find a bug tracker ticket for that.
thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Is it intentional that the Asset Search plugin excludes asset metadata? I hope not, since it seems kind of counterintuitive for its purpose. I tried adding metadata to various Content Browser assets. While the new tags show on Asset Actions->Show Metadata, the pluginā€™s queries donā€™t list any them at all. Tested on 4.26Chaos, adding metadata tags through the Set Metadata Tag blutility function.

Iā€™m currently evaluating UE4 4.26 before migrating our project.
Currently, Cannot reproduce this on completely new project. There seem to be more about this crash.
Could you provide more detail?

Sure:

1. Create a new project (BP or C++ based, it doesnā€™t matter) with ray tracing enabled
  2. Create an AActor-based actor, add an HISM component to it and add a single instance in the Begin Play event
  3. Place an instance of that actor into an empty level
  4. Package the project with the Shipping configuration
  5. Run it in the DX11 mode and there you go - crash

This happens in the engine built from the source. Maybe the launcher version is OK, didnā€™t test that.

Because of the exposed BP Take Recorded API, in 4.25 it was effortless to record at runtime [in VR], and now in 4.26, itā€™s not possible Why this decision, please?

Iā€™ve tried to copy the nodes from 4.25 into 4.26 and it works just fine.(Level BP) I think they will bring the nodes back, because I donā€™t see a reason why they should be editor widget bp only nodes.

Indeed, it was very useful to have these take recording blueprint functions accessible at runtime, would be too bad to donā€™t have access to them anymore.

Iā€™m experiencing the same issue on 4.26. Here you have a link to the post: https://udn.unrealengine.com/s/question/0D52L000056mG7NSAU/4260-and-uvgenerationtool

I seem to be running into quite a few issues with animation/sequence bugs.

IN SUMMARY
I upgraded from 4.23.1 source to 4.26 source.
Iā€™ve never had these problems before.
Is there a new hidden setting somewhere that stops animations and sequences from resetting to their start points once they end?
My LevelSequences are set to ā€œKeepStateā€ on finished, and havenā€™t failed me until now.
My UMGā€™s have a simple boolean toggle to say if they should play forward or reverse. Forward animations go from 0f to 1f, but reverse animations go from 1f to 0f then back to 1f again when finished where as previously they went from 1f to 0f without any issues.

TL;DR
The problem is happening with SOME level sequences (with cameras movement) and all UMG animation sequences, where once the animation has finished, it snaps back to from 0. I thought maybe that particular level sequence was broken/corrupt, so I created another one, did a different action, without rotation, this time just moving the camera downward, and this time, it would move maybe half way down, then snap back up to the start position.

For example with my UMG pause menu, I have it animated so it scales itself from 0 to 1 in 0.5 seconds. It works fine when playing the animation forward, but upon reversing the animation (1 back to 0 scale), once the animation finishes, it snaps back to being a scale of 1.

The work-around Iā€™m using for this, isnā€™t too great either, I have assigned an OnFinished event to set the visibility, but this is less than ideal and sometimes the scale visibly flicks back to 1 before being hidden.

Another animation bug I noticed, again in UMG, not sure about anything else, is that if there are multiple layers inside of the animation, say one for colour changing, and one for transform. If the animation was 1sec long total, but colour changes from 0 to 0.5 and transform changes from 0 to 1, the animation will actually stop at 0.5. If I made that layer end at 0.75, the animation stops at 0.75 etc.
The solution was to drag that layerā€™s end point to 1.0 where the end of the overall animation is.
This happened on my scoring numbers, when players would get a point, the score would enlarge, wiggle, then return back to itā€™s normal size, all while changing colour to represent if they earned points or lost points, but the animation would just get stuck at the peak, where the number was enlarged and kind of at an angle due to the wiggle animation.

I did notice when looking at the UserWidget.cpp file that ā€œbRestoreStateā€ is a new parameter inside the PlayAnimation function, but true or false, this doesnā€™t seem to matter.
I understand bRestoreState is used in LevelSequences, and have made sure that the ā€œKeepStateā€ option is chosen for the camera sequence, but it doesnā€™t seem to matter.

Is there something new since 4.23 that I am missing that resolves these issues? Or should I do a bug report?

Hi Mavmat, is there a link to the UE bug report? Iā€™d like to upvote. Iā€™m getting the exact same issue. Using voxel plugin + volumetric clouds here.

Upgraded to 4.26 from 4.25, generally was one of the smoother engine upgrades for me. There are now a few more yellow warnings, and had one error about a corrupted texture reference (error malformed tag), explained here. The first thing Iā€™ve noticed, lightning appears much more realistic.

Found another problem in 4.26 :frowning:
Sometimes when exiting the shipping build of the game, the process continues to run and has to be manually shut down.
I thought it was a Steam related problem, so I rolled back to STEAM SDK 1.46 (From 1.50), which didnā€™t work, then I just ran the game without Steam open and the same problem occurred.
Iā€™m going to roll back to 4.23.1 today and Iā€™ll deal with the bugs it had until a more stable build comes out.

Renamed a folder and this happened. The meerkat folder contains a subfolder with groom, which since has vanished. Also not able to move or copy groom assets. To replicate, migrate the meerkat folder to your project.

rename.jpg

Before you roll back, care to submit official bug report for this issue ?

Can someone explain this a little more, how can this be fixed? I have several of these errors for widget things, like buttons, how are those ā€˜boundā€™.

1 Like

Sadly I didnā€™t see this until after I rolled back.

I wonā€™t do a bug report just yet as Iā€™m thinking it could even be the WM Input Manager plugin or another 3rd party plugin like Victory Plugin.
Those 2 plugins were the only ones I updated when I went to 4.26, so could be one of those 2 causing the issue.

I might just try creating a base project, compiling it, and testing it out. If THAT fails (without plugins etc), then Iā€™ll be sure to submit a bug report :slight_smile:

So Iā€™ve never used movies before but I have a few inside the Content/Movies folder but Unreal is not showing them, when adding filenames manually it says the file does not exist. When using the browse feature to add a startup movie it says MPEG-4 mp4, but mine is h264 codec and thatā€™s also suggested as optimal in the docs.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/queā€¦terrupted.html

I can play these video clips with the media player, np.