Unreal Engine 4.25 released!

With the release of Unreal Engine 4.25, we continue our mission to provide the most complete, flexible, powerful, and proven real-time 3D creation tool. We have further expanded the toolset to include content creation and editing for more areas of game and visualization development, while improving the feature set and refining workflows for existing tools. Our linear media tools are improved to enable even more immersive and efficient production of linear and cinematic content. Support for existing platforms has been further improved and first-class support has been added for the next generation of gaming consoles.

The more removed designers and creators are from the end product, the more difficult it is to realize their visions.With new and improved systems and tools, Unreal Engine 4.25 enables creators from more disciplines than ever to create, modify, and iterate directly in context in the editor on the final content. Niagara visual effects and Chaos physics have been improved and expanded to provide high-quality, high-performance dynamic simulations. Control Rig and Sequencer now work together to enable in-editor animation of rigged characters. Modeling and sculpting tools have been added to facilitate in-viewport building and updating environments.

Unreal Engine continues to be used in new and exciting ways to produce cinematic and linear content mixed with digital elements. The new Movie Render Manager produces higher-quality rendered output with a streamlined workflow for integrating it into any pipeline. The nDisplay multiple display technology is easier to configure and more powerful than ever making LED walls and large venue displays available to virtually any production. There are also improvements to several areas such as in-camera visual effects, tools for broadcast and live events, motion graphics via 3D Text Animation and the addition of support for generating charts and graphs directly inside of Unreal Editor.

We spend a considerable portion of each release focusing on improvements to support all platforms so your projects can be experienced by everyone regardless of their chosen form factor. In this release, we have added support for the next generation of gaming consoles, which include Microsoft Xbox Series X and Sony PlayStation 5. In addition, iOS and Android have both seen significant enhancements to rendering and development workflows. Augmented reality devices, such as HoloLens 2 and Magic Leap, have new functionality as well as improvements to development workflows.

**See the full release notes here **and drop your feedback below!

KNOWN ISSUES
For a complete listing of known issues affecting Unreal Engine 4.25, please see the Unreal Engine Public Issue Tracker.

Discover new issues with this release, please report them using the guidelines in the link: How to Report a Bug.

2 Likes

Very nice!

This better work this time or you are FIRED!!! LOL

before there is 200 questions, Is Chaos enabled in the launcher version yet or does it still require building manually? if so where to get the chaos demo project. thank you

Here we go… plugins update rush!

If I compiled the source for 4.25 would Chaos appear?

Any documentation planned for Niagara simulation and iteration stages?

https://imgsli.com/MTQ5NTc

Someone please respond to the bug report.

case 00171212

4.25 release is listed as an earlier version of the engine than the last preview for blueprints? Anything saved in the preview isn’t wanting to load currently.

Edit was launcher bug somehow Unreal Engine 4.25 released! - #13 by mordentral - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

ya is chaos a build it only via source or have they reworked it for release onlauncher version , would it work on linux , mac or say even older win 7
does it still require only windows ten

Just fyi, I downloaded the update and preview saved project opened.

Unreal Engine 4.25 Release Notes | Unreal Engine Documentation WONT load lol

4.25 p7 was saving assets to 4.25 12759524, current version is showing as 121 something for me. Had to go manually edit some UAssets to reload them.

Don’t know why yours wasn’t doing it.

Edit Launcher is just showing another update for 4.25 for me, must have been a launcher error.

There appears to be a mistake in the release notes under Core - UProperty:

Hey @The_Distiller,

I double checked with Megan (our Niagara documentation writer) and this feature is really experimental for this release. We don’t generally cover (at least not in detail) experimental features because there can be a lot of changes that happens during between releases that breaks content or potentially causes more confusion to have it documented and then completely change within a single release window.

It’s on our radar to document when it’s a more complete feature though. :slight_smile:

P.S.
Megan is active on Twitter @RadGamerMom1 and regularly posts Niagara information for documentation and queries.

I’m still unable to build from source with errors in UnrealInsightsCLI.cpp. It’s referencing TraceServices/SessionService.h which looks to have been removed after 4.24. I’m building Development Editor Win64.

Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘TraceServices/SessionService.h’: No such file or directory UnrealInsightsCLI \Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealInsightsCLI\Private\UnrealInsightsCLI.cpp 9

Line 9: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE…nsightsCLI.cpp

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE…/TraceServices - SessionService.h shows up when changing branch to 4.24

Edit: For anyone running into this issue, it seems to be when building with JetBrains Rider for Unreal Engine. I suspect other IDEs may also have this issue, however have not tested. I have updated my support case for this which you can find at Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-92977). One thing that I found in my testing is that VS will successfully build from source, however it shows the same error. I’m not sure why VS continues through this error while Rider (and possibly other) IDEs fail. Either way, I view this more a fault on UnrealInsightsCLI.cpp having dependency errors than Rider failing the build.

Awesome! Thanks for all the hard work the team at Unreal puts into updates, new features, fixes, and everything else you guys do. You put a lot of accessible power into the hands of people who otherwise wouldn’t have it, and that means a lot! I’m excited to update and start playing some some of the new changes that have been made and to see where optimizations may have happened.

Unfortunately one test I’ve already run still appears to be problematic. It’s a performance bottleneck that seems to happen with Niagara systems in a Ray Traced project on the OcclusionSubmittedFence Wait channel (still not sure what information is being processed here). I’m hoping someone with in depth knowledge of the systems and the information used in them gets their eyes on this.

I’ve got an in depth post here going over the issue and steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot: https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/1742323-niagara-systems-in-ray-traced-project-killing-fps-from-occlusionsubmittedfence-wait

Can’t wait to see where this engine is at in the next couple of years as SO many new leaps in visual graphics have been happening so quickly. What an exciting time to be a gamer :slight_smile:

Looking forward to upgrade…

Hi everyone,

In mobile,

1. in IOS remote development it gives dll missing error.

UATHelper: Packaging (iOS): ERROR: Precompiled rules assembly '/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/4.25/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/UE4Rules.dll' does not exist.
PackagingResults: Error: Precompiled rules assembly '/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/4.25/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/UE4Rules.dll' does not exist.

1. In mobile preview (editor and mobile preview), render target materials not clear the background. When I change the preview rendering model to shader model 5, it works well. I haven’t tested in mobile yet because it doesn’t compile because of missing dll error.

2. When you activate auto mesh instance, in editor (IOS preview is active), all static meshes disappears. I looks fine in mobile preview.

This landscape modifying tool feature is also released? Not sure where this is mentioned in the notes.

[video]https://twitter.com/i/status/1257689944568598528[/video]