Unreal Engine 4.25 released!

It’s not a landscape tool. It’s general mesh sculpting.

I will just pin here interesting blueprint changes, I believe these deserve more attention.

As usual the most interesting changes are in the footnotes away from the spotlight. Let’s take a look at a few!

This one will most likely have its uses in stuff like, loading screen audio perhaps, or cross-level music. I know there was some functionality to prevent a audio component from destroying between levels before too.

Hooray for Gauntlet!

This is by far the biggest thing for me in this release. No longer do you have to split your material IDs on metal, wood etc. to get proper physical materials on them. Please oh please tell me this works with landscapes too?

This one is also gigantic. Custom data per-foliage instance!? Sign me the %!#@# up.

2 Likes

Somebody goofed up the HDRIBackdrop plugin - rotations of the backdrop are now off by a factor of 6.28. RotateAboutAxis takes a 0->1 Range, not Radians (which is the conversion that is now actually performed).

Bug submitted.

I filed a bug report, but it looks like SSR is totally busted if you change the Anti Aliasing Method to anything but TemporalAA.

Point cloud…please, where is the budget option??? How can I make it full res now?? Anyone? Thx!

Thanks for the update! Lots of juicy things to get stuck into!

Is it just me or are Instance-synced variables on AI Blackboards now broken? I can’t seem to utilize them any blackboards without UE4 crashing, even in a fresh project with a near-empty blackboard.

Assertion failed: BlackboardDataToComponentsMap.FindPair(&BlackboardData, &BlackboardComp) == nullptr [File:D:/Build/++UE4+Licensee/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/AIModule/Private/AISystem.cpp] [Line: 220]

Had a search online for the error message and noticed someone had this in preview 7. Still seems to be occurring. It was all working in 4.24.

I’ve submitted a bug report with an example project but wondering if I’m just doing something stupid with instance-synced variables. Do I need to do anything behind the scenes other than check the box?

I’m having the TraceServices build error too:

40>  [1/3] UnrealInsightsCLI.cpp
40>C:\git\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealInsightsCLI\Private\UnrealInsightsCLI.cpp(9): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'TraceServices/SessionService.h': No such file or directory

Does anyone have issues with C++ projects where when you add a new Component the source file opens with errors in Visual Studio?

I also see this:
Warning: HotReload operation took 13.5s.
LogSlate: Window ‘Add C++ Component’ being destroyed
LogUObjectGlobals: Warning: Failed to find object 'Class /Script/ArtRunnerCpp.CounterWatch’
LogHotReload: New module detected: UE4Editor-ArtRunnerCpp-0562.dll
LogHotReload: Starting Hot-Reload from IDE

No more mobile tonmapper?? Its so bad. How i can back it?

Anyone else having problems with the singlelayerwater shading model?, just switching to it crashes de AMD graphics driver for me.

Quest hand tracking officially supported in 4.25?

Great update, Sony’s PlayStation 5 and Microsoft’s Xbox Series X as first-class platforms, and throughout the year we will be updating the 4.25-Plus branch with optimizations

Very excited by this update!

Don’t know if it’s just me, but using Android Studio 3.5.3 and the install procedure described heredoes not work out of the box.
Had to remove some entries in my path causing errors with SetupAndroid.bat (Windows 10), and now I’m trying to run it again after having removed “lldb;3.1” from the list of packages called by the sdk-manager (around line 83). lldb;3.1 does not seem to be a package available with this android studio version.

Update: Removing "lldb;3.1" did the trick for SetupAndroid.bat (line 83).

Update2 : it seems to fail when building specific epic java code related to google billing api. I did not configure Google PlayStore and do not need/want to. Don’t know if it’s because of that. Still investigating.
The main error: Z:\app\src\main\java\com\epicgames\ue4\GooglePlayStoreHelper.java:19: error: package com.android.billingclient.api does not exist
May be related:

UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   File ..//Source/ThirdParty/Oculus/OVRPlugin/OVRPlugin/Lib/armeabi-v7a/libOVRMrcLib.so does not exist, not copied!
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):  
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   File ..//Source/ThirdParty/Oculus/OVRPlugin/OVRPlugin/ExtLibs/VrApi.jar does not exist, not copied!
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):  
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   File ..//Source/ThirdParty/Oculus/OVRPlugin/OVRPlugin/ExtLibs/SystemUtils.jar does not exist, not copied!

I had the same issue with “lldb;3.1” and managed to “fix” it by removing it from the SetupAndroid.bat. ( Thanks LNaej ! )
I did not configure Google PlayStore either.
Using the HandheldAR Template I managed to Package for Android ETC2 with no warnings and no errors. I also tested it on my device and it worked fine.

Hey , are there any plans for the documentation of Variadic Blueprint functions? It sounds really interesting but was not able to find any examples in the source code.

sad, still no datasmith export for 3ds max 20121. no quixel bridge for UE4.25, no substance for UE4.25. For me, currently UE4.25 is useless for me!

Thanks for your feedback! Following what you said, I tried with the HandheldAR template and indeed the error is not there. However, in this template, OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay plugin is enabled. Will test on my project to see if it’s working with it.
I just checked the patch note and indeed the billing api support is new in 4.25, so maybe some default build settings is wrongly configured.

Update: well that’s it,** if OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay is there, it’s working.** Seems like a bug to me.

Update2: So, in Engine\Plugins\Online\Android\OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay\Source\OnlineSubsystemGooglePlay_UPL.xml there is the following code:

<!-- gradle dependencies additions -->
    <buildGradleAdditions>
        <insert>
            dependencies {
            implementation 'com.android.billingclient:billing:2.0.3'
            }
        </insert>
    </buildGradleAdditions>

So the problem seems to be that either this code should be in the basic Android build setup, either if google play is disabled,** Engine/Build/Android/Java/src/com/epicgames/ue4/GooglePlayStoreHelper.java** (referencing the billing api in the first place and responsible of the android build to fail) should be left out of the build.

Hi Epic team!
**SetupAndroid.bat doesn’t work! **(“lldb;3.1” is not available, at least for Android Studio 3.5.3; I wasted whole day installing and re-installing Android Studio, trying to figure out what’s wrong)

@Apollo1444 remove “lldb;3.1” from line ~83 in SetupAndroid.bat, it should work.