Unreal Engine 4.25 project (on a mac) crashing on startup for the Quest

Hi. I’m trying to get a project to run on the Quest using Unreal 4.25 on a mac running OS Catalina.
I followed the instructions at https://developer.oculus.com/documen…t-guide-quest/ and installed android studio with the latest ndk.
There’s also a guide at https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/t…al-engine-4-25 re: getting the latest ndk setup on 4.25 and a forum post at https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve…25#post1759637 that describes an issue with setting up the latest sdk which I also ran into and removing lldb 3.1 from *"call “%SDKMANAGER%” “platform-tools” “platforms;android-28” “build-tools;28.0.3” “cmake;3.10.2.4988404” “ndk;21.1.6352462” *seemed to fix this problem.

The android sdk is at /Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Library/Android/sdk
ndk is at /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Library/Android/sdk/ndk-bundle
location of java is /Applications/Android Studio.app/Contents/jre/jdk/Contents/Home

And sdk api is set at 28 and ndk is latest.

On launching on the Quest getting the followinng errors (it completes a lot of the build, this happens towards the end)

LogPlayLevel: Consider setting the experimental feature flag android.enableSeparateAnnotationProcessing=true in the gradle.properties file to run annotation processing in a separate task and make compilation incremental.
LogPlayLevel: Error: /Users/xxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/app/src/main/java/com/epicgames/ue4/JavaBuildSettings 2.java:2: error: class JavaBuildSettings is public, should be declared in a file named JavaBuildSettings.java
LogPlayLevel: public class JavaBuildSettings
LogPlayLevel: ^
LogPlayLevel: Error: /Users/xxxxxxxxxxxDesktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/app/src/main/java/com/epicgames/ue4/JavaBuildSettings 3.java:2: error: class JavaBuildSettings is public, should be declared in a file named JavaBuildSettings.java
LogPlayLevel: Error: /Users/xxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/app/src/main/java/com/epicgames/ue4/StoreHelper 3.java:8: error: class StoreHelper is public, should be declared in a file named StoreHelper.java
LogPlayLevel: public interface StoreHelper
LogPlayLevel: Error: /Users/xxxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/app/src/main/java/com/epicgames/ue4/StoreHelper 2.java:8: error: class StoreHelper is public, should be declared in a file named StoreHelper.java
LogPlayLevel: public interface StoreHelper
LogPlayLevel: Error: /Users/xxxxxxxxx/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/app/src/main/java/com/epicgames/ue4/JavaBuildSettings.java:2: error: duplicate class: com.epicgames.ue4.JavaBuildSettings
LogPlayLevel: Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
LogPlayLevel: Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
LogPlayLevel: 5 errors
LogPlayLevel: > Task :app:compileDebugJavaWithJavac FAILED
LogPlayLevel: FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
LogPlayLevel: * What went wrong:
LogPlayLevel: Execution failed for task ‘:app:compileDebugJavaWithJavac’.
LogPlayLevel: > Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.
LogPlayLevel: 31 actionable tasks: 1 executed, 30 up-to-date
LogPlayLevel: * Try:
LogPlayLevel: Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.
LogPlayLevel: * Get more help at https://help.gradle.org
LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED in 18s
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: /bin/sh failed with args -c ‘"/Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/Android/armv7/gradle/gradlew" :app:assembleDebug’
LogPlayLevel: Took 42.428076s to run mono, ExitCode=6
LogPlayLevel: UnrealBuildTool failed. See log for more details. (/Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/UBT-Oculusv25-Android-Development.txt)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=6 (6)
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 41.986985
LogPlayLevel: Error: RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Unknown Error

Is this a java problem with the directory maybe not being right? I haven’t set the environment variables to the location of the jdk but do i need to if it’s point to the locaiton from in Unreal?

Thx

Did you find any solution to this? Im looking for the same answer.

Hi @Gateway70. Eventually I got it running. It was a while ago and can’t remember the specifics but hope you worked it out.

I just had the same issue, out of the blue. My solution was to delete the Intermediate folder inside the project folder, in your case that would be at /Users/xxxxxxxxxxxDesktop/Unreal Projects/Oculusv25/Intermediate/