Unreal Engine 4.25.4 or 4.27.2 VR Preview Greyed Out / Disabled - Oculus Quest 2

I am trying to create my first VR project in UE4.25.4. Following this tutorial from the official Unreal site: Epic Developer Community

But, sadly my preview VR option is disabled (screenshot attached). enter image description here

I have tried both the UE4’s VR template and an empty game (Blank template, Mobile, Scalable, No Starter Content).

Computer Specs:

VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2
System: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
CPU: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

Make sure that the Oculus Runtime is installed and that you have Oculus Link setup.

1 Like

@anonymous_user_2f3bfad7
Before you start the unreal engine,
You have to have the headset on, click ALLOW data access on the in headset popup after you plug it into your computer (or connect with AIRLINK), if you don’t use AirLink connect via Oculus Link. Either way, once you’re loaded into the Oculus link (Rift) menu, you can THEN open your unreal project. If you do those things after the editor is already open the “VR preview” play button will stay gray until you restart the editor.

note, I use a PC, so idk if there are additional MAC specific issues

1 Like

not working for me. putting oculus link on put everything black inside the oculus and i see a blue circle around me and that’s it. still can’t use VR preview pr see the oculus inside unreal.

So it sounds like this isn’t an issue with VR preview being greyed out, since you can press it. But rather an issue with the connection after that point.

Suggestion for this issue: Do you get Oculus Home loading correctly? If so. Try taking your headset off and then on again when you have the black space with blue circle, it sometimes helps when the headset retriggers being worn. Also, end VRPreview and make sure the Oculus menu (grey zone for me) loads, and then try again. I also have some hiccups here sometimes but it always kicks in after some finagling… like having to reset guardians over over and over… it’s just one of those things that hasn’t been smoothed out yet.

How about avoiding Oculus’ runtime entirely and use NVIDIA CloudXR for SteamVR and run a client on your Quest? No wires, no fuss.

This is an old issue, and you’ve probably already found a solution. In case anyone else stumbles on this issue…

Just wanted to add that in 5.0, you also need to have plugins enabled. I’m using a vive, so the plugins I activated were OpenXR and SteamVR. For an Oculus, you would need to enable the Oculus VR plugin.

1 Like

If you have the SteamVR and OpenXR plugins enabled, SteamVR takes priority and you’re not using OpenXR. SteamVR has been deprecated in 5.1, and will soon be removed. As such, it’s recommended to use OpenXR. Make sure you have your OpenXR runtime set to the runtime you’d like to use. This can be done in each runtime’s settings page, but you can also use OpenXR explorer which let’s you check and switch on the fly (editor restart required): GitHub - maluoi/openxr-explorer: A cross-platform OpenXR capabilities explorer and runtime switcher with a CLI and GUI.

3 Likes