Unreal Engine 4.23 Released!

I still haven’t found any reliable workaround for that. It would be nice to have any feedback from the dev team if this is going to be fixed in the upcoming hotfixes.
If there is any reason why the editor utility actors can’t tick in 4.23, then it could even become an opt-in feature, disabled by default, e.g. by a checkbox in blueprint class settings. (“CanTickInEditor” or something similar). But the deprecated Placed Editor Utility Base didn’t cause any trouble with that.

and @ SnifferDog648

The problem is caused by the need to update Datasmith.to be compatible with 4.23
In your Unreal Engine Launcher > If you look under the Engine Versions : Installed Plugins - you probably see an exclamation point
Click on it to update datasmith
Once updated 4.23 should launch properly without those errors.

file:///C:/Users/editor/Desktop/DS_1.JPG

After some further testing I noticed that somehow the Ambient Cubemap is brighter in standalone vs Editor. someone else got that issue?

-Standalone

-Editor

hi some packaging issues with 4.23.0

BUILD SUCCESSFUL for win64 but when i run the package exe i get this message. i did check RHI settings and setted dx12. any advice? (raytace activated project)

They said “this issue may not be prioritized or fixed soon.”

Ouch. So many games gonna break. Edit: Target 4.23.1

And where they said that?
Target fix version is set to 4.23.1, so the first patch.

there are two things noticed for UE4.23 on linux: 1)BuildPhysX.Automation.cs, if (TargetData.Platform == UnrealTargetPlatform.Mac) {return sym;} should change to UnrealTargetPlatform.Linux. 2) when enable RTTI on linux(ModleRules.cs) set bUseRTTI = true, the code will fail in link. test env is linux 14.04.

In the email when I submitted the bug report. At the time of posting the target wasn’t set (or admittedly I may not have noticed it)

Do you use the GPU Lightmass plugin by any chance? I have the same cooked error when launching projects on the Quest.Reverting to the original UE code fixes this for me.

yes i did verified engine and problem gone. thanks for advice.

I submitted a bug report and included this video. I should get a response sometime next week. If this is an oversight they might be able to remedie this in a hot fix for 4.23.

That’s great, thanks - I also submitted a bug report yesterday: https://imgur.com/a/MMoSy5k(simple repro steps, creating an Editor Utility Actor and plugging a PrintString to EventTick)
Let’s hope that they’ll hotfix it soon, I’ve tried to find any workaround, but without luck. I’ll post here if I get any news.

I use “GetAssetByObjectPath” and “GetAsset” BP nodes in 4.22, I just opened the project in 4.23 and every instance of those throws an error:

“The current value of the ’ In Asset Data ’ pin is invalid: ‘In Asset Data’ in action ‘Get Asset’ must have an input wired into it (“by ref” params expect a valid input to operate on).”

Also the GetAssetByObjectPath gets disconnected.

Anybody got that problem?

That’s great the more people that bring it up the more likely it will be taken care of quickly. When you say “effects field only has preview version” what does that mean exactly?

Oh, that’s only for the bug report clarification, the final 4.23 version was not listed in the “Affects Version” list in the form, so I just picked the “4.23 Preview”.

Ahh I see. Makes sense.

If it is the same issue that I ran into, you have to go to each of the nodes and connect up their execution pins to the rest of your nodes. I haven’t looked back at 4.22 but I’m guessing these used to be “pure” style nodes. And now they need to be on an execution pathway to function. I hope that helps.

• Dave

Aha, okay, that makes sense. That’s why the rest of the bp is connected correctly.

When cross compiling my dedicated server, I’m getting:

LogInit: Display:
  LogInit: Display: Warning/Error Summary (Unique only)
  LogInit: Display: -----------------------------------
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: begin: stack for UAT
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: === Handled ensure: ===
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error:
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: Ensure condition failed: PlatformInfo.PlatformType != PlatformInfo::EPlatformType::Editor [File:C:/git/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Developer/BlueprintNativeCodeGen/Private/BlueprintNativeCodeGenUtils.cpp] [Line: 159]
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: Nativized Blueprint plugin is for cooked projects only - it isn't supported in editor builds.
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: Stack:
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff25100139 UE4Editor-BlueprintNativeCodeGen.dll!DispatchCheckVerify<bool,<lambda_52396d979bc0f1ea09551fc2fc5fd585> >() [C:\git\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Misc\AssertionMacros.h:164]
  LogInit: Display: LogOutputDevice: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff250dbf39 UE4Editor-BlueprintNativeCodeGen.dll!BlueprintNativeCodeGenUtilsImpl::GeneratePluginDescFile() [C:\git\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Developer\BlueprintNativeCodeGen\Private\BlueprintNativeCodeGenUtils.cpp:159]

I’m building with:

.\RunUAT.bat  BuildCookRun -project="C:\path	o\MyProject.uproject" -noP4 -platform=Linux -clientconfig=Shipping -serverconfig=Shipping -cook -server -serverplatform=Linux -noclient -build -compile -pak -allmaps -stage -archive -archivedirectory="C:\UE4Packaging\MyProject\20190907\1"

I never had this happen on 4.22 or before, any idea what’s going on? It seems to be trying to create my nativized assets into an editor plugin instead of shipping config plugin?

Anyone got any idea how to make it work? Simply overriding the Run function in an Editor Utility Actor doesn’t fire it.