Unreal Engine 4.2 Update Preview

[= ;47103]

•      Out of the box support for 4WD, FWD, and RWD drive trains.

•      The default drive train simulation assumes 4 wheels; however it will work with any number of wheels.

•      As many gears you desire.

•      Automatic and semi-manual transmissions.

•      And it is all completely exposed to Blueprints!

[/]

This is just EPIC, forget life! WE GOT VEHICLES PEOPLE!

Before, I want to thank Epic for the upcoming awesome 4.2 update. Please don’t tell me to write this in answerhub because this is a GENERAL problem, and Epic devs should be notified about it and take care about it. I am using 4.2 preview version (compiled one from github). Sadly with it I am getting almost every old sample having black screen inside the viewport (except some old samples that did not update from 4.0.2 to 4.1 like Card game and Effects cave). The actors are still visible but the entire scene is black (even with the new Stylised demo (which has a light brown contour but everything is black isnide and when you hit play, you get the cinematic working in colours). Also I am getting a teremendous FPS drop in the samples that still work (Cave demo used to run at 45+ FPS , now I am getting around 15 FPS). I think all your samples should be updated now that 4.2 is coming.

Stylised viewport (same for many otehr samples): ://i.imgur/DSUea8r.png?1

Thank you, Epic!
And i waited for bug fixing navmesh “rebuild at runtime”. But it is not present. Sad.

From the render features;

New: The build scale is now taken into account when calculating a Static Meshes streaming texture factors.

That’s great but don’t forget to do the same for lightmaps on static meshes with build scales!
Also it would be really really convenient to have the ‘build scale’ ability on skinned meshes. I know it’s tricky but it is possible by ‘faking’ the size for the user. Really it would be convenient for who wants to import animations and rigs that weren’t initially designed for Unreal because right now if you do you will notice the skeletal meshes bones editing and collision editing for non Unreal scaled meshes are a serious pain in the *** or sometimes simply impossible. Please add this feature, it really makes the engine more flexible and allows easy transitions from other engines.

Other than that, this release also looks stunning!

Keep the good work coming and thank you!

I wonder if I should try peeking into the 4.2 preview branch. Could probably use the ability to create user defined structs from Blueprints atm :smiley:

They gave an ETA when we’re getting the official 4.2 btw?

[edit] Oh snap nevermind I see I can just declare my structs in Unreal C++ :slight_smile:

Will there be any improvements in Light Propagation Volume? I dont see anything related to LPV in this changelist but will there be any in 4.2 release version?

Also please expose Deproject in Blueprints.

[=;52089]
Will there be any improvements in Light Propagation Volume? I dont see anything related to LPV in this changelist but will there be any in 4.2 release version?
[/]

If you look at Trello ( https://trello/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap ) it shows that LPV should be improved by July, but i’m guessing it will be a continuous improvement thing as the engine gets more optimized. My project is totally dependent on a Dynamic Day/Night cycle so personally I cant wait to see the improvements they make. I’ll actaully take a look at CRYENGINE-as-a-service end of the month and see what they come up with, but I just love the support that you get (the community but especially the Devs ) with UE4. The Docs, tuts, videos, etc. are all 100% better than I ever got from the Crydev people. So I’m really hoping UE4 can start competing in the Dynamic Lighting area.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding, Vehicles support is great but from the 4.2 preview is not quite what i was hoping for. Ive written a air plane code base that hoped to use the vehicle code as a class style base but very convoluted and hard to understand, Let alone the fact it looks like it’s all derived from physx (ive done the physics direct in my Air plane code base). So ive started integrating bullet physics engine as an alternative for users (also the fact Opencl use is becoming near usable with the test builds for GPU, It’s always annoyed me that physx being nvidia based only hardware accelerates Physx on Nvidia products so Opencl acceleration for AMD card users should be helpful). Please release an offical 4.2 soon as with the preview build i can’t migrate any off my projects from other builds without missing .dll issues and instant crashing for the one’s that do load. Keep up the work, loving it.

It says on the Trello roadmap that you’ll have iOS projects shippable from windows + Mobile advertisement support ready by May.
Is this making it into 4.2?
Thanks

[=Hany;52964]
It says on the Trello roadmap that you’ll have iOS projects shippable from windows + Mobile advertisement support ready by May.
Is this making it into 4.2?
Thanks
[/]

Mobile advertising support is going to be in 4.2, but the PC to iOS deployment pipeline improvements weren’t done when 4.2 branched and will likely be in 4.3. For now the instructions hereanswers.unrealengine/questions/44452/building-41-ios-ios-with-unrealremotetool.html are still applicable.

Cheers,

Looks like a great update. Will the Mac OSX controller issue be resolved with this release?

Now with those new ‘Function’, ‘Struct’ and ‘Math Expression Node’ blueprints I think most projects won’t even need to touch C++ anymore, being most projects small indie experiments.
But what happened to the “cross-compiler toolchain”? Don’t we need it anymore to compile for Linux on 4.2 or should we still be using the tools from 4.1 branch?? I see no notes about it, but the usual link is not there anymore on the Git preview.

Now one thing I want to see is SteamWorks Blueprints implemented too. :wink:

[=;52089]
[/]

I asked the same question, but being impatient I decided to check out the preview build and load up my level that is using LPV Directional Light and Emissive LPV Materials exclusively only to find lighting seemed to be completely broken, couldn’t even add a point light and see anything. No idea what’s going on there. Starting a blank project and setting up LPV worked fine.

In 4.1 I noticed Emissive materials didn’t work well all that well, I had to scale objects up pretty big for there to be an affect on LPV usually. So far it doesn’t seem like anything has changed in the preview build.

On an unrelated note, The Documentation search no longer works with the Opera Browser, it already stopped working with Firefox.

[=;52943]
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding, Vehicles support is great but from the 4.2 preview is not quite what i was hoping for. Ive written a air plane code base that hoped to use the vehicle code as a class style base but very convoluted and hard to understand, Let alone the fact it looks like it’s all derived from physx (ive done the physics direct in my Air plane code base). So ive started integrating bullet physics engine as an alternative for users.
[/]

As you say, vehicle support in 4.2 is focused on wheeled vehicles, as that does present some difficult problems, and we have been quite happy with the PhysX library for car simulation. Flying vehicle would present different challenges (mainly the aerodynamic model) but that seems harder to solve in a general way. I’m curious what features you were looking for? You could certainly take a physics-based template like the Rolling one, and then start building your flight model to add the complex forces.

[=;52943]
So ive started integrating bullet physics engine as an alternative for users
[/]

What are the features in Bullet you feel are missing from PhysX that you need to make your air plan game?

[=;52943]
It’s always annoyed me that physx being nvidia based only hardware accelerates Physx on Nvidia products
[/]

Currently there is no GPU acceleration for PhysX feature in UE4, because we want to make sure they are offered in a cross-platform way. We are working with NVIDIA on this.

[=JamesG;53363]

Currently there is no GPU acceleration for PhysX feature in UE4, because we want to make sure they are offered in a cross-platform way. We are working with NVIDIA on this.
[/]

Does it mean that APEX (Cloth and Destruction) is also not GPU accelerated ?

[=JamesG;53363]
As you say, vehicle support in 4.2 is focused on wheeled vehicles, as that does present some difficult problems, and we have been quite happy with the PhysX library for car simulation. Flying vehicle would present different challenges (mainly the aerodynamic model) but that seems harder to solve in a general way. I’m curious what features you were looking for? You could certainly take a physics-based template like the Rolling one, and then start building your flight model to add the complex forces.

What are the features in Bullet you feel are missing from PhysX that you need to make your air plan game?

[/]

Hi JamesG, Good to see an Unreal engine dev so close to where I am (sandhurst). Yeah i have no real problem with physx being used other than the fact it’s only hardware accelerated with nvidia cards (didn’t realise you guys hadn’t used the hardware acceleration on gpu, But i would also say if physx is going to be the main part of physics in ue4 to stick with no hardware acceleration on gpu as once that was included it would cause a disparity between AMD,Intel, and nvidia cards which makes it hard to guarantee equal performance over different GPU’s)

The features in Bullet that i would like to take advantage of are collision detection and rigid body dynamics executed on the GPU (which uses OpenCL), as is open source and OpenCL based GPU acceleration can be leveraged over Intel/AMD/Nvidia cards alike.

The Air plane flight model ive made is intended to be for everone (once done i wanted to put in a pull reqest to epic) as ive seen in videos unreal devs saying a flight model isnt really in the works as not needed right now but maybe sometime in the future. So i wanted to help the community out and make one (im also working on boats,Hovercraft’s,Helicopters), I was hoping that the vehicles system would be a good place to copy the editor tie ins / Blueprint tie in methods and add my Airplane system as a Vehicle Air plane choice the same as vehicle set-up. After having a quick look at the vehicle code though i don’t think im even going to be able to do this, If need be i can send you my code for the Air plane model if your willing to help get this in the engine for all.

Cheers KB

Is there an ETA for the release of 4.2? Or is the source available via github yet?

[=;54902]
Is there an ETA for the release of 4.2? Or is the source available via github yet?
[/]

Current ETA is very early June. We don’t have a track record of delivering before our ETA though so take it with a grain of salt. Our long term goal is to make new versions accessible via more beta snapshots and such on a daily basis, including binaries. Right now there is a snapshot of 4.2 source in github and you can always see the latest, greatest, and least stable in the master branch on github as well.

[=piinecone;47729]
I am super excited for this release.
[/]

Ditto for me. This release has a bunch of new features that I am really interested in seeing. Especially the new vehicle code!

Guys, download the preview. It won’t bite.