Unreal Engine 4.2 Update Preview

WoW!..What an update…Cain’t wait to try it out…Thanks for all the hard work Epic…

Any LPV improvements in this release?

Am I to understand that Custom Blueprint Structs are a way to create a “global variable” type system? So there won’t be a need for constant casting to (for example) Pickups adding to fscore, HUD needs to cast to Pickup to see fscore?

Instead fscore can just be inside the struct? If so, that excites me greatly.

Also, I spotted “Force Feedback Effect” - last time I checked, that wasn’t there…is this new to 4.2 also? - EDIT: Oops, never mind just found it, it’s just a new icon

[=Kenomica;48298]
Am I to understand that Custom Blueprint Structs are a way to create a “global variable” type system? So there won’t be a need for constant casting to (for example) Pickups adding to fscore, HUD needs to cast to Pickup to see fscore?

Instead fscore can just be inside the struct? If so, that excites me greatly.
[/]

I’m (nearly) certain that’s not what structs do. They are just like structs in any programming language – it’s just a neater way to store data. For example, let’s a list of RPG weapons – including the item’s name, the item’s attack power, the item’s cost – instead of storing each value in it’s own array, you’d could make a custom struct, and then make an array out of that custom struct. This is opposed to making an array for each value you’re storing per item.

The third Solus video introduces the idea of building getters and setters for commonly used game variables (like score) in C++ and exposing them as blueprint functions. ?v=IXpyFxf66ac&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE#t=380 You could probably do the same thing, more or less, with the new blueprint function libraries – though I doubt with the same performance.

If you really hate casting to your custom GameState class (or whatever) every frame (and I do!), you can just do the casting once, with the Begin Play event, and store the reference to the object in a variable within your blueprint. Doing it this way made the HUD class in my little testbed game a bit easier to implement.

Any news about high DPI support in the osx version? The editor is barely usable on 15 inch retina macbook, screen space is currently poorly used and all the views look pretty crowded due to very large (and pixellated) icons and texts

[=devel.bmad;48538]
Any news about high DPI support in the osx version? The editor is barely usable on 15 inch retina macbook, screen space is currently poorly used and all the views look pretty crowded due to very large (and pixellated) icons and texts
[/]

We’re working on High DPI support, but I don’t know when will this be ready. It won’t change the amount of space editor elements take on screen, though. Did you try “Use small toolbar icons” option in Editor Preferences? This may help a bit.

cool stuff. I hope the fix for the bug I reported about keeping references to other actors after ‘keep simulation changes’ is included in this one :slight_smile:

also, what does this mean?

[]

• Moved Source Code Access functionality to a plugin.
    [/]

[= Trepka;48583]
We’re working on High DPI support, but I don’t know when will this be ready. It won’t change the amount of space editor elements take on screen, though. Did you try “Use small toolbar icons” option in Editor Preferences? This may help a bit.
[/]

Yes, tried, but the problem are not only the toolbar icons, most of the labels are clipped and everything looks bulky (e.g. see default size for panel in the material editor, even maximixing the window). It would probably help being able to scale down the whole UI, if possible.
Of course, on a macbook retina 15 inch I can set the display in order to have more space and the editor becomes more usable, but there is an impact on perfomances. Anyway, a bit offtopic, I will try to detail the issue in a separate post, thanks!

Just read somewhere that Epic announced in a video stream that FABRIK will support animation retargeting to different skeletons? I thought they were not pursuing this but maybe I was wrong?

[=sandboxgod;48757]
Just read somewhere that Epic announced in a video stream that FABRIK will support animation retargeting to different skeletons? I thought they were not pursuing this but maybe I was wrong?
[/]

I don’t know if that is going to be part of Fabrik, haven’t watched all the streams, so could have easily missed that. However animation retargeting between skeletons is certainly on their roadmap, and has been since they made the roadmap public. Currently is estimated for August.

https://trello/c/fUeBCu65/66-retargeting-across-skeletons

Non terrain Spline actor?? :frowning:

[]
Vehicles seem to address ground vehicles. What about aircraft or spacecraft with mobile parts or articulations?
[/]

Flying vehicles are usually much simpler because it’s just a free rigid body you apply forces to. Cars are complicated by needing to model the tires and suspension. Having said that, we don’t have any sort of ‘flight model’, it is an interesting idea, but probably less broadly useful than wheeled vehicles.

[]
will the vehicle template work for monopods or just 2+ wheels?
[/]

There is a ‘four wheeled vehicle’ component which includes all the complex clutch/gearbox stuff, and a more general ‘wheeled vehicle’ component where you can have any number of wheels, but have to write more of the driving logic yourself.

[]
Is this for edge collision detection?
[/]

Right! For solving the problem where you ‘dip’ slightly as you walk off a ledge due to the curved bottom of the capsule. This was much requested for things like platformer games.

[]
Non terrain Spline actor??
[/]

Sorry, I’m still working on that, getting there though…

As I tweeted, Epic keeps impressing with HUGE UE4 updates. It’s even hard to keep track of all the new features each update! It’s amazing!

Anyway I specially can’t wait to read more about the mobile improvements!

Does 4.2 include the Destructible Component Problem I had here:
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?3734-Weird-Destructible-Problem-(epic-staff-maybe-take-a-look)

because Fixed it here:
https://github/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/de9f5d5631d443b3b624a6ff3b84015d30a9dcc4

[=drekmonger;48528]
I’m (nearly) certain that’s not what structs do. They are just like structs in any programming language – it’s just a neater way to store data. For example, let’s a list of RPG weapons – including the item’s name, the item’s attack power, the item’s cost – instead of storing each value in it’s own array, you’d could make a custom struct, and then make an array out of that custom struct. This is opposed to making an array for each value you’re storing per item.

The third Solus video introduces the idea of building getters and setters for commonly used game variables (like score) in C++ and exposing them as blueprint functions. ?v=IXpyFxf66ac&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE#t=380 You could probably do the same thing, more or less, with the new blueprint function libraries – though I doubt with the same performance.

If you really hate casting to your custom GameState class (or whatever) every frame (and I do!), you can just do the casting once, with the Begin Play event, and store the reference to the object in a variable within your blueprint. Doing it this way made the HUD class in my little testbed game a bit easier to implement.
[/]

Thanks for the response - it makes a lot of sense.

I’m definitely not a programmer. I’m a 3D artist who’s using blueprints and learning all the programming lingo, so I’m definitely not knowledgeable on this stuff.

[=Midnight640;49010]
Does 4.2 include the Destructible Component Problem I had here:
https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?3734-Weird-Destructible-Problem-(epic-staff-maybe-take-a-look)

because Fixed it here:
https://github/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/de9f5d5631d443b3b624a6ff3b84015d30a9dcc4
[/]

4.2 does include this fix. I never tried it for your specifc case (hard to repro) but it should fix a whole bunch of problems related to destructible components and blueprints. If it turns out to not fix your issue please let me know!

[=AlfredBaudisch;48954]
Anyway I specially can’t wait to read more about the mobile improvements!
[/]

The TLDR is that the platform team has been crunching to get in ship-shape for mobile and HTML5. Lots of little fixes and such, especially for Android compatibility.

[= Trepka;48583]
We’re working on High DPI support, but I don’t know when will this be ready.
[/]

Clearly we need to upgrade you to all retina display devices :wink:

@MattW, perfect thanks!

Great update, so much good stuff.

I see no mention of improved dedicated server support, I seem to remember dedicated servers needing a bit of setup, not being supported “out of the box” for projects made with 4.1?

Are there any updates to the shooter example? In particular the new experimental gamestate management system being refactored, potentially being moved into the engine?